Transcribed from Biographical history of Barton County, Kansas. ; Illustrated. Published by Great Bend Tribune, Great Bend, KS : 1912. 318 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, July 2006.

1912 Biographical History of Barton County, Kansas

Nov. 8, 1910.—C. F. Younkin.
July 1, 1872—E. L. Morphy.
Nov. 5, 1872—E. L. Mohphy.
Nov. 4,1873—A. W. Gray.
Nov. 2, 1875—A. W. Gray.
Nov. 6, 1877—John Alefs.
Nov. 8, 1881—Cal Weaver.
Nov. 6, 1883—L. F. Weaver.
Nov. 3, 1885—L. F. Weaver.
Nov. 8, 1887—L. M. Krause.
Nov. 8, 1889—L. M. Krause.
Nov. 3, 1891—D. Bosse.
Nov. 7, 1893—F. H. Miller.
Nov. 5, 1895—D. Bosse.
Nov. 7, 1897—D. Bosse.
Nov. 7, 1899—Theo. Griffith.
Nov. 8, 1901—R. C. Bailey—Appointed to fill
vacancy caused by resignation of Theo. Grif-
Nov. 4, 1902—E. E. Epperson—Short term.
Nov. 8, 1904—Frank Millard.
Nov. 3, 1906—Frank Millard.
Nov. 3, 1908—J. W. Sodderstrom.
Nov. 8, 1910—I. W. Soderstrom.
July 1, 1872—G. N. Moses.
Nov. 5, 1872—G. N. Moses.
Nov. 4, 1873—G. N. Moses.
Nov. 2, 1875—W. W. Winstead.
Nov. 6, 1877—W. W. Winstead.
Nov. 4, 1879—M. Gillmore.
Nov. 8, 1881—M. Gillmore.
Nov. 6, 1883—J. S. Dalziel.
Nov. 3, 1885—J. S. Dalziel.
Nov. 8, 1887—F. D. Wilson.
Nov. 8, 1889—F. D. Wilson.
Nov. 3, 1891—G. J. Spencer.
Nov. 7, 1893—G. J. Spencer.
Nov. 5, 1895—L. P. Aber.
Nov. 7, 1897—L. P. Aber.
Nov. 7, 1899—J. R. Johnson.
Nov. 4, 1902—J. R. Johnson.
Dec. 28, 1903—W. R. Bunting—Appointed
to fill vacancy caused by death of J. R.
Nov. 8, 1904—J. S. Dalziel.
Nov. 3, 1906—J. S. Danziel.
Nov. 3, 1908—M. Dailey.
Nov. 8, 1910—M. Dailey.
July 1, 1872—T. L. Morris.
Nov. 5, 1872—D. N. Heizer.
Nov. 4, 1873—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 2, 1875—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 6, 1877—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 4, 1879—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 8, 1881—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 6, 1883—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 3, 1885—C. E. Dodge.
Nov. 8, 1887—F. G. Strothman.
Nov. 3, 1891—F. G. Strothman.
Nov. 7, 1893—Henry Klein.
Nov. 5, 1895—Henry Klein.
Nov. 7, 1897—E. S. Brodie.
Nov. 7, 1899—E. S. Brodie.
Nov. 8, 1891—Flora A. Smith.
Nov. 8, 1904—Flora A. Smith.
Nov. 3, 1906—E. E. Epperson.
Nov. 3, 1908—E. E. Epperson.
Nov. 8, 1910—E. E. Epperson.
July 1, 1872—J. B. Howard.
Nov. 5, 1872—G. W. Nimocks.
Nov. 3, 1874—G. W. Nimocks.
—— 1876—S. J. Day.
Nov. 5, 1878—S. J. Day.
Nov. 2, 1880—G. W. Nimocks.
Nov. 7, 1882—C. F. Diffenbacher.
Nov. 4, 1884—C. F. Diffenbacher.
Nov. 2, 1886—E. C. Cole.
Nov. 6, 1888—E. C. Cole.
Nov. 4, 1890—E. L. Hotchkiss.
Nov. 2, 1892—E. L. Hotchkiss.
Nov. 6, 1894—G. W. Nimocks.
Nov. 3, 1896—C. F. Diffenbacher.
Nov. 8, 1898—C. F. Diffenbacher.
Nov. 6, 1900—J. W. Clarke.
Nov. 8, 1904—P. C. Kopplin.
Nov. 3, 1906—J. W. Clarke.
Nov. 3, 1908—J. W. Clarke.
Nov. 8, 1910—R. C. Russell.
July 1, 1872—John Fanrow.
Nov. 5, 1872—J. B. Howard.
Nov. 4, 1873—J. B. Howard.
Nov. 2, 1875—C. Chamberlain.
Nov. 6, 1877—C. Chamberlain.
Nov. 4, 1879—C. Q. Newcombe.
Nov. 8, 1881—C. Q. Newcombe.
Nov. 6, 1883—Byron Majors.
Nov. 3, 1885—C. Q. Newcombe.
Nov. 8, 1887—B. Markey.
Nov. 8, 1889—B. Markey.
Nov. 3. 1891—S. A. Newcombe.
Nov. 7, 1893—S. A. Newcombe.
Nov. 5, 1895—S. A. Newcombe.
Nov. 7, 1897—S. A. Newcombe.
Nov. 7, 1899—S. A. Newcombe.
Nov. 8, 1904—S. A. Ncwcombe.
Nov. 3, 1906—S. A. Newcombe.
Nov. 8, 1910—S. A. Newcombe.
July 1, 1872—A. C. Moses.
Nov. 5, 1872—J. R. McClellan.
Nov. 3, 1874—H. A. Brundidge.
....... 1876—Wm. Chalfant.
Nov. 5, 1878—Wm. Chalfaut.
Nov. 2, 1880—L. Baldwin.
Nov. 7, 1882—C. C. Wolfe.
Nov. 4, 1884—J. Baldwin.
Nov. 2, 1886—C. C. Wolfe.
Nov. 6, 1888—W. H. Grant.
Nov. 4, 1890—A. McTaggart.
Nov. 2, 1892—F. G. McKinney.
Nov. 6, 1894—F. G. McKinney.
Nov. 3, 1896—M. L. Harrison.
Nov. S, 1898—M. L. Harrison.
Nov. 6, 1900—Ben Hennessy.
Nov. 8, 1901—C. R. Aldrich—Appointed to
fill vacancy caused by the resignation of Ben
Nov. 4, 1902—C. R. Aldrich.
Nov. 8, 1904—C. R. Aldrich.
Nov. 3, 1906—Ed Opie.
Nov. 3, 1908—Ed Opie.
Nov. 8, 1910—Jennie B. Momyer.
July 1, 1872—J. B. Howard.
Nov. 5, 1872—T. C. Polk.
Nov. 4, 1873—T. C. Polk.
Nov. .., 1876—C. Faussel.
Nov. 5, 1878—J. J. McClimans.
Nov. 4, 1879—A. C. Schermerhorn.
Nov. 2, 1880—A. C. Schermerhorn.
Nov. 7, 1882—A. C. Schermerhorn.
Nov. 2, 1886—Ira D. Brougher.
Nov. 6, 1888—W. R. Bunting.
Nov. 4, 1890—W. R. Bunting.
Nov. 2, 1892—R. A. Charles.
Nov. 6, 1894—R. A. Charles.
Nov. 3, 1896—F. G. Strothman.
Nov. 8, 1898—F. G. Strothman.
Nov. 6, 1900—W. B. Lucas.
Nov. 8, 1904—Sam Kellam.
Nov. 3, 1906—Sam Kellam.
Nov. 3, 1908—Sam Kellam.
Nov. 8, 1910—Sam Kellam.
July 1, 1872—D. N. Heizer.
Nov. 5, 1872—T. S. Morton.
Nov. 3, 1874—E. L. Chapman.
Nov. .., 1876—E. L. Chapman.
Nov. 6, 1877—E. L. Chapman.
Nov. 5, 1878—E. L. Chapman.
Nov. 2, 1880—E. L. Chapman—Resigned to
become postmaster.
Oct. 1, 1881—James Clayton—Appointed by
Nov. 7, 1882—G. Toepke.
Nov. 2, 1886—B. F. Ogle.
Nov. 6, 1888—B. F. Ogle.
Nov. 4, 1890—T. H. Brewer.
Nov. 2, 1892—T. H. Brewer.
Nov. 6, 1894—H. McCorkle.
Nov. 3, 1896—L. C. Breeden.
Nov. 8, 1898—L. C. Breeden.
Nov. 6, 1900—W. P. Feder.
Nov. 8, 1904—W. Torrey.
Nov. 3, 1906—W. Torrey.
Nov. 3, 1908—H. A. Hall.
Nov. 8, 1910—H. A. Hall.
Nov. 5, 1872—G. L. Brinkman.
Nov. 4, 1873—J. T. Cummings.
Nov. 3, 1874—G. L. Brinkman.
Nov. 2, 1875—C. J. Frey.
Nov. ..., 1876—W. H. Keeney.
Nov. 6, 1877—G. L. Brinkman.
Nov. 4, 1879—D. N. Heizer.
Nov. 7, 1882—J. D. Bain.
Nov. 4, 1884—W. H. Campbell.
Nov. 2, 1886—H. J. Roetzel.
Nov. 6, 1888—W. H. Rice.
Nov. 4, 1890—M. W. Cobun.
Nov. 2, 1892—M. W. Cobun.
Nov. 6, 1894—E. C. Cole.
Nov. 5, 1895—B. F. Lorimer.
Nov. 3, 1896—Isom Wright.
Nov. 8, 1898—Isom Wright.
Nov. 6, 1900—M. W. Cobun.
Nov. 4, 1902—Henry Langfield.
Nov. 8, 1904—Bert Steckel.
Nov. 3, 1906—W. M. Chatten.
Nov. 3, 1908—W. P. Feder.
Nov. 8, 1910—W. P. Feder.
July 1, 1872—D. B. Baker.
Nov. 5, 1872—A. W. Strong.
Nov. 4, 1873—J. D. Bain.
Nov. 2, 1875—A. C. Moses.
Nov. 6, 1877—B. S. Lewis.
Nov. 4, 1879—Frank Lightfoot.
Nov. 8, 1881—J. D. Bain.
Nov. 6, 1883—S. J. Shaw.
Nov. 3, 1885—S. J. Shaw.
Nov. 8, 1887—S. J. Shaw.
Nov. S, 1889—J. R. McIlvaine.
Nov. 4, 1890—D. B. Shant.
Nov. 3, 1891—A. R. Lash.
Nov. 7, 1893—G. L. Koch.
Nov. 5, 1895—S. J. Shaw.
Nov. 7, 1897—S. J. Shaw.
Nov. 7, 1899—G. L. Koch.
Nov. 8, 1904—E. E. Morrison.
Nov. 3, 1908—F. L. McCauley.
Nov. 8, 1910—F. L. McCauley.
Nov. 6, 1900—D. T. Armstrong.
Nov. 4, 1902—D. T. Armstrong.
March 2, 1903—W. E Stoke—Appointed.
Nov. 8, 1904—W. L. Townsley.
Nov. 3, 1906—W. L. Townsley.
Nov. 3, 1908—Roy Cornelius.
Nov. 8, 1910—Roy Cornelius.


By Edwin Tyler

WAY back in the early days when George N. Moses was sheriff of the county. Great Bend at that time was the stopping place of notorious bad men. It was in 1873 that Harry Lovet then of Newton, came to Great Bend with an outfit consisting of the remnants of a dance hall which he had operated at Newton. The town company would not let him have a lot but he managed to get in debt to Colonel Tom Stone, refused to pay him and hiked for Dodge City. The sheriff (George Moses) told the Colonel to get him a pony. Mounting the pony and with his old needle gun ready for action he went west on the trail like greased lightning. After reaching a point about where Henry Fruit's farm is located George overtook Lovet's outfit. Dismounting and leveling the needle gun at Lovet he ordered him to hold his hands up. Lovet raised his hands and asked: "What is wanted?" George said, "I want that money you owe Tom


Stone." "Then come and get it." said Lovet, and George got it.

On another occasion a man by the name of Crockett was in town and said he was looking for the marshal, that he had three of them to his credit and that he was a dangerous man to trifle with. George Moses was notified and being the sheriff he went out to look for Crockett. He met him on the street, walked up to him and said: "How do you do?" Crockett stuck out his hand, and as he did so George grasped it and with a quick wrench threw the man to the ground, disarmed him and took him to jail. The next morning the fellow had sobered up and George gave him back his gun and told him the next time he came to town to keep sober and keep out of trouble.


IT is not a generally known fact that the big irrigation projects that have been successfully completed in the western part of the state are due in a large measure to the action of the first meeting of irrigationists in this part of the country which was held in Great Bend.

The irrigation campaign that swept over this western country was started by Lutellus Baldwin at Great Bend, Kansas, on July 17th, 1893, by calling a meeting of the citizens to consider the subject of irrigation. Previous to that time he had been carrying on a general agitation on the subject among the people, in this portion of Kansas, endeavoring to arouse interest in the subject. A dozen or more farmers, editors and other citizens attended this meeting, and some scoffed at the idea but an interest was aroused. Mr. Baldwin then called a delegate convention to meet at Great Bend on the 7th of August following. This convention was called to order by Lutellus Baldwin, who read the call and organized the convention and handed it over to its officers, D. M. Frost of Garden City and F. B. Cowgill of Topeka, president and secretary respectively. This meeting was well attended, representatives being present from all parts of Kansas, and much enthusiasm was shown. This meeting was followed by meetings at Salina, Wichita, Omaha and by a large meeting at Los Angeles, California, at which meeting the Kansas delegation took a prominent part. At this meeting the name "National Irrigation Congress" was adopted at the suggestion of the Kansas delegation.


Great Bend Church

As early as 1877, Rev. Father Swenberg used to come from Newton to visit the missions of Barton County, among which was Great Bend. A little later on, Rev. B. Wolf, a Benedictine, who was stationed at Windhorst, Ford County, took charge of the Great Bend mission and built a church. From 1882 to 1885, Father Epp attended from Ellinwood. Then came Father Disselkamp, who is credited with moving the church to its present site and ren- honored with the 1912 State Convention. ovating its interior.[sic] From 1885 on, Great Bend has had as resident priests Rev. Fathers Walsh, Kelly, Brown, Podgorsek, Wiersma, Shutz, O'Sullivan and Hermann. The present pastor is Father Hull, who has been here two years. There are about 40 families in the parish and it is the expectation to erect soon a new and larger church. The Knights of Columbus have a flourishing council and were honored with the 1912 State Convention.

Odin Church

The first church, St. Mary's, at Odin, was built in 1878 by Father Hundhausen, who visited once a month from Ellinwood. Rev. J. C. Schurz visited for a while. In 1881 Father Emmerich came to reside. He built the rectory and the first school, and started on the new church. Father Heiman was appointed in 1896 and under him the new $30,000 stone church was completed. Rev. B. Drath supplied for a year. Father Heiman returned and set to work to build the $20,000 school, which was completed in 1908. The present pastor, Father Niederprum, has been in charge two years. The Sisters of St. Dominic manage the school, 80 children attending. There are over 100 families in this prosperous parish.

Claflin Church

At the time the M. P. R. R. was run through this section, the Catholics around Claflin built a school house, where Father Emmerich held regular services, until Fathers Heiman and Drath built the present beautiful church in 1905. It cost about $4,000. Rev. Reinschmidt was the first resident pastor, and a cosy home was purchased for him. Rev. Joyce, the noted entertainer, enlivened the neighborhood for two years and then went to cheer the Soldiers in the U. S. army as a chaplain. Fathers Heiman and O'Sullivan visited for a while, till the appointment of Father McErlane, the present rector. The parish contains thirty-five families.


Dubuque Church

A small church, named after St. Catherine, was erected in 1882 by Father Emmerich, who continued to visit regularly till 1896. Previous to his coming, during 1881, Rev. Lager held services in a school house. Rev. Dragun attended for a year from Wilson. After Father Emmerich, it was visited by Father Heiman, who began the construction of a new church. In 1898 Father Hermanus came to reside. He continued the building of the new church, and put up a comfortable home. After nine years of devoted service, he resigned his place to Rev. J. Birrenbach. The old church happened to burn down. The new one was then soon finished. It had been a mighty task for the 75 families of the parish to raise the necessary $5,000.


The old St. Joseph's church was started in 187,[sic] when Father Swenborgh of Newton visited occasionally. In 1878 Rev. Emmer came to reside and was succeeded the same year by Father Hundhausen, who built the first priests house. Rev. J. C. Schurz came in 1880 and was followed by Father Epp in 18S2. He had the first school built. In 1896 came Father Emmerich, under whose able administration a new church, rectory, and school have replaced the old ones at an outlay of $50,000. The old rectory now serves for a convent. There are over a 100 substantial, German families in the parish and in the school, taught by Sisters of the Precicus Blood, 60 pupils. There is a council of the Knights of Columbus, who have erected a $20,000 hall. In the towering spire of the church is a large town clock donated by the citizens, which automatically rings the bells at the appointed intervals of the day and night.

Ellinwood Church

St. Peter and Paul's Church Five Miles North of Ellinwood

The first church at St. Peter and Paul's was built in 1877, by Father Swenborgh, and was attended from Ellinwood. In 1882 Father Epp established a school and erected the handsome brick church. Rev. B. Disselkamp was the first resident pastor and put up the present rectory in 1898. After two years under Rev. J. Mantz, came Father Weichmann, who enlarged the school and added a new sanctuary on the church. Rev. J. Bast is now caring for the 75 families of the parish and the school is flourishing under the management of the Sisters.

Olmitz Church

As early as 1878, Olmitz was visited once a month by Rev. B. Wolf, a member of the Benedictine Order. In 1881 Father Emmerich began to come from Odin and in 1882 he built the first church. The next year Father Disselkamp came to reside. His successors were Rev. Dr. Dipolder, Hartmann and Sklenar. After the building through of the M. P. R. R., the church was moved to town. Father Huna, who has been fourteen years at Olmitz, has been an active supervisor. He has enlarged and decorated the church, built a rectory and a convent. He is very interested in his school and entrusts it with the Sisters of the Precious Blood. The 100 families of his congregation are of German, Bohemian and Irish descent.

Previous Section | Transcriber's Index: A-B, C-F, G-K, L-N, O-S, T-Z | Next Section