Transcribed from Biographical history of Barton County, Kansas. ; Illustrated. Published by Great Bend Tribune, Great Bend, KS : 1912. 318 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, July 2006.

1912 Biographical History of Barton County, Kansas


which there are two, are 28 by 56 feet and 16 by 24 feet in dimensions. The other outbuildings are well built and show that Mr. Evers is an enterprising farmer. He is contemplating the erection of an elevator and when this and other improvements he will make this year are finished he will have as fine a set of improvements as can be found in that part of the county. The Evers family is one of the best known in Barton County as they have had a great deal to do with the developing of its residences and have helped in no small way in making Barton County one of the best in the State of Kansas and one of the most important agricultural sections of the country. In addition to the other improvements Mr. Evers has a well arranged orchard which covers about four acres of land and contains trees representing nearly all varieties of fruits that are common to this section of the state.


Residence of J. S. Winget

ONE of the best known men in Barton County and one who has had a great deal to do with the upbuilding and developing of that part of it lying adjacent to the town of Albert is James Sheldon Winget. He was born in Deleware County, Ohio, March 24, 1856. He was raised in the state of Iowa and came to Barton County in March, 1878. Upon his arrival he took up a homestead in Ness County but soon after he had proved up on it he took up his permanent residence in this county. He is well known in all parts of the county and enjoys a most enviable reputation as an auctioneer. He has had charge of a majority of the big sales that have been held in his section of the county in recent years. His services have been sought in this capacity by people in all parts of Barton, and his experience and knowledge of values and wide acquaintance makes it possible for him to always give satisfaction to both the buyer and seller. For the past twenty-five years he has practiced as a veterinarian and has been most successful in th!s profession. He has by actual experience gained a great deal of knowledge about the equine family, their diseases and ailments and he is called by some of the leading horse and cattle owners of the county when the services of an experienced veterinarian are required. He was married March 23, 1881, to Miss Della Bridges of this county and they are the parents of six children as follows: Clara, 30 years of age, is now Mrs. M. L. Worden of Albert; Myra, 26 years of age, is a teacher in the schools of the county; John G., 24 years of age; May, 19; Roger, who died in January 1911, when he was 21 years of age and James, 15 years of age. Mr. Winget's home place adjoins the town of Albert on the north where he owns 200 acres of land. He also owns 175 acres in Oklahoma, a half section in Scott County, a section in Rush County and has always taken an active part in the business of farming. His residence contains 10 rooms and surrounded by a fine set of improvements, and is one of the most attractive homes in that part of the county. Mr. Winget has always taken an active part in the affairs of his community and has held township offices and is known as an enterprising and progressive citizen.



Home of Henry Meyer

ONE of the best known families of Buffalo township is that of Henry Meyer who came to America from Germany where he was born September 18, 1842. He first located in Chicago where he remained for about six months before he went to New Orleans where he resided until 1870 when he came to Barton County, Kansas. He came to this part of the state with the Reinecke and Schultz families and since his arrival here has always taken an active part in the farming business in Buffalo township. He was married in 1877 to Miss Mary Jilg and they are the parents of ten children as follows: Henry, 35 years, lives in Heizer and runs a threshing outfit; Charles, 30, is farming in Comanche County; Mary, 33, is now Mrs. Jacob Weltmer of Rush Center; August, 27, is a carpenter by trade and lives at home; Antone, 21, lives at home; Annie, 25, is now Mrs. Wm. Shuss of Garfield;

Flora, 23, is at home; William, 19, is also at home; Eddie, 17, lives at Garfield, and Fred, 14, lives at home. The home place is located on the northwest quarter of section 4, Great Bend township and is one of the nicest farm homes in that part of the county. The residence contains eight rooms in addition to the closets, pantries, etc., and is a modernly built dwelling. In addition to the land on the home place Mr. Meyer owns a quarter section of land in Comanche County and it is being farmed by Mr. Meyer's son Charles. The home place contains a three acre orchard which contains trees that bear nearly all varieties of fruits common to this section of the country. The barn is 75 by 35 feet in dimensions and is arranged for the accommodation of a large number of animals. Mr. Meyer is one of the best known men in that part of the county and is an enterprising and progressive citizen.


LESLIE JAMES CARAWAY was born June 8, 1888, in Barton County, Kansas, is one of those native products who has taken up the work of farming and will continue the development of the county's resources which was so ably begun by their fathers in the early days. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Caraway who came to this county in 1885. Mr. Caraway died in 1900 and since that time Leslie James Caraway has carried on the management of the home place which comprises the southeast quarter of section 19, Great Bend township. Mr. Caraway's mother died June 2, 1907. She was survived by Leslie James, who is now 24 years of age; Beatrice, 20, Kent, 16 and George 22 years of age. The elder Caraway was one of the best known men in the county and for a number of years after his arrival he taught school but finally took up the occupation of farming which he followed until his death which was a great shock to his many friends in all parts of the county. The residence on the home place consists of eight rooms in addition to the closets, pantries, etc. The barn is 42 by 44 feet in dimensions in the main building, and like the other out-buildings and residence, is well built and substantial. The


home place is nicely situated and is surrounded by a small orchard and shade trees. In addition to the land on the home place Mr. Caraway farms another quarter which he rents. This land is located south of the home place. The Caraway family is one of the best known in that section of the county and it is one that has had a great deal to do with the development of the county's resources and in making it one of the best in the State of Kansas.


The Eureka Golden Rule Stock Farm

GEORGE PARKER WILSON was born in Jefferson County, Kansas, April 10, 1863 and came to Barton County In July, 1885. In September of the same year he moved to the county with his family and took up his permanent residence. He first lived in Albion township where he remained until 1900, when he moved to his present home place which comprises the southwest quarter of section 13, Eureka township. Mr. Wilson was one of the first Barton County farmers to take up the modern idea of giving his farm a name, and it is now known and is registered, "The Eureka Golden Rule Stock Farm." It is located ten miles northwest of Great Bend and is one of the most attractive and best improved places in that section of the county. The residence contains ten rooms in addition to closets, pantries, etc. The barn which is neatly painted and bears the name of the farm is 44 by 60 feet and is equipped with modern appliances for handling hay and manure. Mr. Wilson has always taken a great interest in improving the breed of the horses, cattle and hogs of the farmers of the county and has made a success of breeding and raising Short Horn cattle, Duroc Jersey hogs and now owns two of the finest stallions in the county. The horses are known as "George Dewey," a big, fine Percheron that enjoys a good reputation; and "Tom," a well built "Clyde and Coach." Mr. Wilson has every reason to be proud of these horses as they are known wherever good horse flesh is talked in the county. Mr. Wilson was married November 12, 1885, to Miss Ida M. Ingram in Jefferson County and they were the parents of five children as follows: Nannie S., 26 years of age, is now Mrs. Charles Younkin of Great Bend; George Grover, 25 years of age, is residing in Rush County; Rhoda May, 23 years of age, is now Mrs. Frank French of Hoisington; Gertrude Pearl, 21 years of age, is now Mrs. James M. McCutchan, also of Hoisington, and Lora Edith, now Mrs. Harry Rogers, 2, years of age, of Spearville, living at Spearville. Mr. Wilson survived his first wife and in 1900 was married to Miss Flora Gale Mitchell of this county and they are the parents of two children: Valeria Josephine, 8 years of age and Fleta Marie, 3 years of age. With all Mr. Wilson's private interests he has found time to take an active part in the affairs of his township and has served as trustee of Albion township and has also been a member of the school board. Mr. Wilson came to this county at a time when it required men of experience and men who had faith in the future of this section to make it one of the best counties in the State of Kansas.


ºººº Hoisington ºººº


WHEN the main western line of the Missouri Pacific railroad was being built west from Kansas City, and the construction force had reached a point near where is now the townsite of Hoisington, a company of well known Kansas men began the laying out of the town that takes its name from the head of the company, A. J. Hoisington, one of the pioneers of Barton County and for many years engaged in the newspaper business in Great Bend.

The townsite company was composed of A. J. Hoisington, C. Samuels, H. T. Weaver, E. L. Chapman, Edward and Clayton Moses and S. V. Brinkman of Great Bend, these gentlemen having a one-half interest in the company. The remainder of the interest In the company was owned by S. V. McCracken and Brothers and E. C. Moderwell.

The first substantial building to be erected on the townsite was a two-story structure which was occupied by the firm of Brooker and Brown with a stock of general merchandise. This was in 1886, shortly after the townsite company was organized. The first agent of the town company was A. Mitchell, who served for about a year, when he retired and the place was taken by A. H. Baker in 1887.

In 1887 a great many people from Iowa, Illinois and other eastern states, began to arrive and the town began its growth which has been remarkable from the fact that it was not of the spasmodic, boom kind, but has been steady and substantial until now the town has a population of 2,200. This number will be greatly increased when the Missouri Pacific shops are in operation with a full force of men.

The town was incorporated in 1888 as a city of the third class, and at the first city election E. M. Carr was elected mayor. The council was made up of men who were progressive and steps were immediately taken to make the town one that offered good advantages for home making.

The territory surrounding Hoislngton is among the best and most productive in Barton County, and with the beginning of the town a great many names were added to the rural districts' population through the sale of farm land to eastern people. As the soil was developed and made to produce more and more each year the demand for supplies grew

East School, Hoisington

and a number of good stores were added to Hoisington's business section. The first bank was established by A. J. Hoisington in 1887.

West School Building, Hoisington

Old School Building, Hoisington (Burned)

The schools of Hoisington have always been maintained on the same high standard as is found in all parts of Barton County. The city schools are among the best attended in the county. There are two fine buildings, one on the east and one on the west side of town. In these buildings there is plenty of room to take care of all the pupils enrolled and the future has been taken care of by provision for a large increase in the attendance. Hoisington's population is made up of lawabiding people and the religious advantages offered by the town are second to no town in this part of the country. The following denominations are represented by large congregations and commodious and modern houses of worship: Catholic, United Brethren, Christian, Methodist and German Lutheran. All the societies usually found in connection with churches of these denominations are active in Hoisington and have large member-


ships and accomplish a great deal of good in the field of religious endeavor.

United Brethren Church

Christian Church, Hoisington

The business section of Hoisington is well built and the stores which represent nearly all lines of the mercantile trade, contain large and well selected lines of goods. There are six general stores, three banks, three drug stores and many other stores that are operated on a high standard of excellence.

Hoisington has a municipal water plant that supplies water for domestic and other purposes at a nominal cost to the consumer. A fine sewage system was recently completed at a cost of $45,000 and it adds greatly to the advantages of the town as a place in which to make a home. A local company operates a modern electric and ice plant that meets the demands of the town in a most acceptable manner.

The officers of the city at the present time are: Charles Hall, mayor; F. A. Soderstrom, treasurer; J. L. Pieper, clerk; B. F. Jones, police judge; J. C. Ready, marshall, and J. R. Williams, water commissioner. The council


is composed of the following: T. C. Morrison, president; H. E. Willard, Phil Ochs, Jr., J. M. Lewis, M. H. Beckett, A. Kindsvater, G. W. Cooney and J. F. Stoskopf.

Hoisington M. E. Church

Missouri Pacific Shops at Hoisington

Hoisington is a freight and passenger division on the Missouri Pacific railroad and the company operates at this point the largest shops between Sedalia and Pueblo and, next to the Sedalia shops, are the largest owned by this company on its entire system. The pay roll of the railroad men in Hoisington adds greatly to the prosperity of the city and makes it not alone dependent on the famers in the surrounding country for trade.

September 28, 1910, work was begun on the first building that makes up the large number composing the Missouri Pacific shops. This building is the roundhouse and has a concrete foundation with fifteen 63-foot engine pits. It is a brick building with the most modern apparatus and appliances. Two sides of the structure are composed of glass which allows plenty of light to filter in. It contains 2,000 yards of concrete, has a turntable with a diameter of seventy-five feet, a 100,000-gallon capacity hot well for the purpose of washing boilers, etc.

The coal chute has a capacity of 500 tons of coal and is the type made by the Robinson & Schafer Co. It has elevators with a capacity for lifting 125 tons of coal per hour and a storage capacity for fifteen tons of sahd. Green sand is made ready for use after it has been lifted by a Holeman elevator system to the


top of the chute where it is dried by a steam drying apparatus. From the dryer it is conducted through chutes to the storage bins from where it is supplied to the engines as needed. This system almost entirely eliminates hand work and results in a high class product. Near the coal chutes are found two 100,000-gallon water tanks that afford an endless supply of good water. The water is forced into the tanks by modern pumping systems and their close proximity to the coal chutes makes it possible for an engine to be supplied with coal, water and sand in the shortest possible time.

The cinder pit on which work was begun October 24, 1910, is 225 feet in length with a depressed track which allows the work of cleaning the fire box of an engine to be done quickly and thoroughly.

The blacksmith and machine buildings are large and equipped with all the latest labor saving machinery and are capable of turning out a great amount of work in the shortest possible time and when in full operation will give employment to a large number of men.

The system by which water is supplied to all parts of the different buildings is composed o three wells near the powerhouse—powerful pumps that force water into the pipe lines that conduct it to all parts of the works. The reservoir for the reserve supply of water has a capacity of 100,000 gallons.

The power for the plant is furnished by powerful engines and boilers housed in a large building from where power is transmitted to all parts of the works by twenty-four wooden poles strung with wire of high carrying capacity.

On the grounds are found a number of other buildings which include the offices of the different heads of departments and when the shops are working at full capacity it is expected that a force of 1,600 men will be required. The total cost of the plant is about $1,000,000. All the buildings are amply protected against fire by the latest and most approved methods.

The Missouri Pacific shops is an establishment of which the people of Barton County are justly proud and it is a big thing for the town of Hoisington from a business standpoint.

E. R. Moses Mercantile Co., Hoisington


The Peoples State Bank of Hoisington, Kansas, was organized May 25th, 1903, with E. R. Moses, president, O. P. Putman, vice-president, W. B. Lucas, cashier, and the following directors, Henry Wildgen, D. J. Lewis, T. C. Morrison, Robt. Merten, R. H. Moses, E. H. Heath, G. N. Moses and E. R. Moses.

The bank opened for business June 15, 1903 in the back room of T. C. Morrison's Mercantile house. In a very short time it moved to its present quarters in the J. B. McCauley Opera House Building, which they purchased in May, 1904. They immediately enlarged the opera house to its present size and extended their banking rooms to its present dimensions, making one of the finest banking rooms in the State of Kansas, being finished with marble on the outside and marble and mahogony on the inside. With rooms for customers' use, directors' room, and private rooms for its officer

Peoples State Bank, Hoisington

including all the conveniences modern science can give such as electric lights, hot water heat, lavatories and rest rooms for its customers. The officers find it a pleasure to do business in its present quarters. Since the bank was organized Mr. O. P. Putnam, Henry Wildgen and G. N. Moses have passed away. E. R. Moses, Sr., has been president from its beginning. Mr. W. B. Lucas has been cashier from its beginning. Frank Soderstrom who was bookkeeper is now assistant cashier and Miss Eva Goodwin has been book-keeper since July, 1910. The bank has had a regular semi-annual dividend since 1905 and has increased its surplus each year until January, 1911, the capital stock was increased from $10,000 to $25,000 with a surplus of $2,500. This increase was practically made from the earnings of the bank.

The present directors are T. C. Burton, vice-president and director, M. H. Beckett, B. C. Wildgen, E. R. Moses, Jr., Robt. Merten and E. R. Moses, Sr.

The deposits of this bank are over $160,000 now and are constantly increasing. The loans and discounts are over $140,000. The success of this bank has been from its very beginning and one of its reasons for its success is the manner in which it treats its customers and people in general. Once a customer, always a customer. The deposits of this bank are guaranteed under the state law. The bank pays interest on all time and saving deposits.


ANOTHER institution of which the people of Hoisington and Barton County are justly proud is the Railroad Young Men's Christian Association which is a branch of the International Y. M. C. A., and was established in Hoisington in 1902. The money for the work was obtained by private subscription, donations by the Missouri Pacific railroad and Miss Helen Gould. The building is in the center of five 25-foot lots on the main street of Hoisington in close proximity to the M. P. depot. In addition to the cash which Miss Gould gave the society for the erection of the building she also aided it with special donations consisting of books for the library, musical instruments and she also provided for an emergency hospital, but this department of the institution was abandoned when the hospital was opened. The building is 60 feet square, and the big dormitory room gives ample accommodation for forty beds which are kept neat and clean and are rented to members of the association for 15 cents per night in the buildings are found in addition to the dormitory room and foyer, a reading room, bath room, library, correspondence room, all of which are equipped neatly and conveniently. The bath room contains three tubs and five shower baths, is strictly sanitary and all articles used in bathing are furnished the members free of charge. The reading room is nicely furnished and on the tables are found scores of daily and weekly papers, magazines and periodicals all of which are for the free use of the members. The library contains twelve large cases filled with 2,000 volumes that cover every subject for entertaining and

Railroad Y. M. C. A., Hoisington

educational reading. The correspondence room is supplied with writing material and is furnished in keeping with the remainder of the rooms. The lobby is large and is used by the members for playing chess, checkers, etc. The institution is not intended for railroad men alone, but contains on its membership rolls a large majority of the men of Hoisington. The membership averages around 600 but at times the list contains as many as 800 names.

In addition to the privileges mentioned above, at frequent intervals the members are given the benefit of lectures on practical subjects in the auditorium or assembly room.

The religious education of the members is not overlooked and an air of good fellowship permeates all the work of the institution. The price of membership is $5.00 per year. The place is managed by a board of directors consisting of seven members, but the active part of the work is most ably done by T. C. Straw, secretary, and H. R. Popejoy, assistant. Mr. Straw devotes his entire time to directing the work of the association and he is untiring in his efforts to make it a place where men may come and feel at home and get the benefit of living in clean, wholesome surroundings.


The Lind Hospital and Training School was established by Rev. W. J. Lind in the city of Hoisington and was thrown open to the public in February, 1912. It is a general hospital for the treatment of medical and surgical cases and is one of the best equipped institutions of the kind in this part of the country. The building, which is three stories in height, is located in a most desirable spot in the northwest part of Hoisington within eight blocks of the business section. The building is made of brick with re-enforced concrete floors. The building of this hospital was due to the fact that Dr. Lind, while a minister of the gospel, has always been interested in the treatment and cure of diseases of the human race. He was born near the Ural mountains, in Russia, April 11, 1881. He came to America in 1902 and spent the first year after his arrival in travel during which time he visited all parts of the United States and Canada. In 1903 he entered the Concordia Seminary at Concordia, Illinois. He finished his studies at this institution in 1910. During the year 1908 Rev. Lind was in the field as a missionary. At the conclusion of his studies he was ordained a minister of the German Lutheran church, and at once accepted a call from Milberger, Kansas, where he remained until he started the hospital in Hoisington. He still has charge of congregations of this denomination at Galatia and Wilson.

Previous Section | Transcriber's Index: A-B, C-F, G-K, L-N, O-S, T-Z | Next Section