Barber County Kansas
At left: Gravestone of Charlie Matthews, Lake City Cemetery, Barber County, Kansas. Photo by Kim Fowles.
Quite a sad accident occured here last Thursday at 2 o’clock p.m. at the residence of A. Feltner’s. Charlie Matthews, a little two-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Dick Matthews, of near Aetna, in some way got a small bottle of carbolic acid off of a stand table, which had been placed there by some one while cleaning the house, and drank part of it and in less than ten minutes after drinking it he was perfectly paralyzed. Drs. Hutcheson and Hovious were sent for but they could not do the little fellow any good. He lived until 4 o’clock p.m. Friday and was buried at the Lake City cemetery Saturday evening. Mr. and Mrs. Matthews have the entire sympathy of this community in their sad bereavement.
Thanks to Kim Fowles for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site! (In the original news article, his name was spelled Charley, not Charlie.)