LeRoy Reporter
"Cy Maroon," says Charlie Sturdevant, of the Jacksonian, who has just been married, "made the Jacksonian office a social call the first of the week to get one of the wedding cigars. Cy also offered a little advice. 'To keep mattermonyal equinimitie in yer family' he said, 'never tell yer wife the first yer what mother used to cook, but after that she'll be so bloomin' tired a thinkin' up things herself she'll be glad to git yer ma's best dishes up in shape fer you.'"

Mrs. Grace Haney and little boy of Topeka and Mr. and Mrs. A.W. Branstetter of Kansas City, Mo., came in the first of the week for a visit at the Nels Gray home north of Crandall. They are daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Gray.

J. W. McPherson and wife left Monday for McPherson, Kansas, to visit his parents. Mr. McPherson expects to return this week and Mrs. McPherson and baby will remain longer.

The judges awarded the prizes for the best kept lawns and back yards last Tuesday. On back yard, Mrs. E. M. Arnold received first and L. V. Watson, second; for front lawn Miss Esther Abbott drew the first and Mrs. C. H. Philo the second. The prizes were in cash--$6.00 and $4.00 for lawns and $3.00 and $2.00 for back yards.

The post office will observe holiday hours during the Carnival Thursday and Friday.

Allen Hendricks of Piqua visited from Thursday till Saturday with his friend Coval Jones.

L. D. Covert and daughter Truth came down from Kansas City Wednesday to visit the Covert families here.

Bland Hendricks came down from Kansas City Saturday and visited over Sunday with his wife and baby.

Joe Bussert and son "Buster" came down from Osawatomie last week for a visit with old friends and to fish on the Neosho.

The REPORTER is printed Wednesday this week in order to give the force a better opportunity to enjoy the carnival.

Mrs. Lucile Paup and baby of Texarkana, Texas, have been visiting her aunt Mrs. Ed. Cooke and other relatives and friends. Mrs. Paup was formerly Miss Lucile Davis.

Postal Inspector Blough was here Friday and Saturday and made the first inspection of the local office since the appointment of Fred C. Herdman. He found things in first-class shape.
George A. Clark, formerly secretary of state of Kansas, was stricken with paralysis at Laramie, Wyo., the first of the week. Mr. Clark was personally known here, having married a daughter of M. Bacon at one time a jeweler here, and having often come to LeRoy in company with F. P. McLennan of the State Journal for fishing excursions with G. W. Ringle in years past. His condition is regarded as serious.

Uncle Cola Hill, one of the pioneer settlers of Coffey county died at his home north of Crotty Saturday evening. Uncle Cola was up in the nineties. The community in which he lived is called Cola Hill in his honor. He had been slowly failing in health for some time but not considered seriously ill until a few days before his death. The funeral services were held Monday morning at the Big Creek Presbyterian church.

Misses Oda, Edna and Mabel King came down from Emporia Sunday to visit their brother L. L. King and wife.

Malon Manson, father of George Manson of this city died at his home near Crotty Tuesday morning at about eight o'clock. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Manson was about seventy-two years old.

How to cultivate mushrooms is told plainly in a special illustrated article which is printed in this issue of the REPORTER. Perhaps the information presented will be the means of helping you earn some extra money. Read it, anyway.

Miss Theora McCollister of Tulsa, Oklahoma, is visiting her parents Mr. and Mrs. Geo. McCollister north east of LeRoy, after an extended trip through Canada, New York and Niagra Falls returning to Tulsa Sunday where she is employed as cashier and agent by the Germania Life Insurance Company.

Wm. Gutzmer arrived Sunday from Lincoln, Nebraska, for a few days' business visit. He reports that his son Elmer was forced to quit his course in the business college on account of his eyes and is now engaged as an automobile salesman. He also reports the marriage of Miss Clara Zabel to a young man by the name of Johnson at Osage City. The wedding was performed on the 8th of June. The young man is a coal operator.

Dr. J. Dale Graham and wife arrived in LeRoy last Saturday from Elephant Butte, N. Mexico, where he has charge of the health of the big camp of laborers on the Elephant Butte dam. This work is now finished. Dr. Graham will spend the remainder of the week here and then will go to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to take a post-graduate course in medicine and surgery at Harvard University, regarded as the highest course in medicine in this country. After finishing that work he expects to locate in El Paso, Texas, for the practice of special lines in his profession.
Obituary W. G. Layton
William George Layton, better known as "Uncle George" died at the home of his son D. T. Layton Wednesday, August 2nd. He was born February 2, 1825 and was therefor exactly ninety-one and one-half years old at the time of his death. His birthplace was Switzerland county, Indiana, and he was a resident of that state until 1870 when he came to Coffey county, Kansas, and has lived in this vicinity every since.
He married Mary Ellen Spurgeon, December 10, 1851. She died October 19, 1860. One child, Mrs. J. W. Sims, was born to that union. January 8, 1862, he married Mary M. Overleez, who born him three sons and departed from this life December 31, 1901. The boys are Henry of Idaho, Daniel T. of LeRoy and Joseph of near Gridley. His children were all at the bedside during his last hours except Henry who was unable to be present.
Besides the children he leaves a sister in Indiana, several grandchildren and great-grandchildren to mourn his loss with a host of friends. He was a member of the Christian church.
He had an exceedingly strong constitution and was an active worker up to a short time before his death. The funeral services were held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. W. Sims on Thursday afternoon.

Blaine Crow and Tom Flory drove over from Gridley last Friday evening for tennis matches in doubles and singles. Dr. McGinnis and Glick Fockele attempted to avenge the defeat of George Sims and Lester Davis at Gridley two weeks abo and failed most dismally, losing in straight sets 2-6, 3-6. George Sims evened up his own defeat at Gridley by beating Crow 6-8, 6-3, 6-2. The match between Flory and Lee Davis came to a sudden halt when the latter sustained a badly sprained ankle when the games stood 2-1 in favor of Flory. J. W. McPherson beat Flory in one set 6-2. The match between Sims and Crow was hard-fought from start to finish and both players were almost exhausted when the match was decided. The heat on the courts was intense.

Everything is in readiness for LeRoy's big Fall Carnival. The rain Monday evening cooled off the weather considerably and settled the dust that promised to make things disagreeable for the visitors. The program is interesting and will keep something going on all the time. The double-parachute leap from a balloon by one of the Flying Quinnettes is something new in the line of an attraction here and is exciting considerable curiosity. Many formerly of LeRoy people are here to meet old friends at the Carnival and the home-coming feature is becoming more and more prominent with each succeeding year.

Return to Newsworthy Notes Index

Return to
Coffey County