Cowley County Heritage Book


- 126 - 127 - 128 - 129 - 130 -

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 126

(continued from page 125) was knocked down with a thud, and carried into the house by her Dad. She had been hit by a bullet that lodged in her hip. Two Kunkel boys were shooting ducks 1/2 mile away on a creek and the bullet traveled the half mile to hit her. She carried the bullet in her hip the rest of her life. The story was published in the paper titled "The Fool Duck Hunters." She always enjoyed the reaction of a Doctor when he read any x-rays taken that showed the bullet in her hip.

As told by June Murray to Janis Ramsey Reinhardt
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 126.

Back to the top.

Jesse and Ethel Biddle

Jess Amos Biddle was born February 8, 1876, seventh child of Amos and CindriUa (Kerr) Biddle. He was born and raised on the old Amos Biddle farm located southwest of Kellogg in Vernon Township. He attended Mt. Zion School and later in life served as clerk of the same school board for ten years.

After the death of his father in 1897, he remained at home taking care of his mother until her death in 1911. After his mother's death, his Aunt Mary Harger, came to keep house for him until her death in 1915. He continued to farm the same place for another twenty-three years.

Elsie Ethel Ramsey was born January 16, 1896 the fifth child of John J.W. and Alice (Zimmerman) Ramsey in Vernon Township, Cowley County. John Ramsey was commonly known as James Ramsey to his family and friends. Her parents were married in Springfield, Ohio on October 18, 1882 and moved to Kansas soon after. James Ramsey was a successful farmer, cattleman and county road supervisor for many years.

Jesse Biddle and Ethel Ramsey were married February 1, 1916 at the First Christian Church in Winfield. Their attendants were Edgar and Susie Biddle. Edgar was lesse's brother and Susie was Ethel's sister. The couple remained on the farm for many years.

The farm was located on the Arkansas River bottom where the soil was rich and fertile, It was ideal conditions for grain crops and vegetable farming. The family grew their own food crops and were well known in the community for their large watermelon fields.

All the children attended Mt. Zion School and finished their schooling in Winfield. The older children would stay in Winfield during the week and come home over the weekends. Many wonderful social events were centered around the Mt Zion Church, Mt. Zion School and the Kellogg community hall.

Jesse served on the Vernon Township Board, Clerk of the Mt. Zion School, member of the Kellogg Farmers Union and Winfield Cooperative Union.

The children born to this couple were: Mable Lucille, married Jasper Alonzo Coon and they had four chudren, she lives in Augusta; Robert Leonard married Iris Mae Rush and they had one child, he lives in Winfield; Lawrence Calvin, single, lives near Winfield; Raymond Lewis Biddle married Mary Cecil Bonewell and they have eleven children, they live Winfield; Majorie Bess died in a school accident; Lila Mae married Alvin WaUsrhmidt and they have four children, they live in Mulvane; Ralph Darrell married Patricia Ann Simpson and has two children, and they live near Tecumseh, Oklahoma; Shirley Ann married John Marion Rush and has seven Ghildren, and they live in Winfield.

The Biddles are proud of the military record of their sons with Robert Leonard serving in the US Army and Raymond Lewis serving in the US Navy during World War II. Ralph Darrell served in Korea during the Korean Conflict.

Jesse Biddle died November 20, 1962 and Ethel Biddle died November 22, 1987 and both are buried in the family plot in Mt. Zion cemetery six miles west of Winfield.

There are over 140 known descendants of Jesse Amos and Elsie Ethel Biddle.

It has been a pleasure to write this history of my parents who came through many hard times together and were true native Cowley County Pioneers.

Submitted by Ralph D. Biddle<
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 126.

Back to the top.

Ralph and Patricia Biddle

Ralph Biddle was the seventh child of Jesse and Ethel Biddle. He was born in 1932 in Vernon Township and began his schooling at the Mt. Zion school with Edith Wilcox as his first teacher.

The family moved to a farm southwest of Winfield near the Winfield Country Club. The house was wired for electricity and this was a new experience for the whole family. Fairview grade school was only one mile away and was easy to get there. His first school was over one and one-half miles away and was reached by walking through the neighbors fields. After completing the eighth grade he went to Winfield High School where he enrolled in Mr. Ira Plank and John Lowe's vocational agriculture classes.

Upon completing high school, Ralph entered the U.S. Army and was sent to Korea where he spent one year. Upon completion of military service he returned home and went to work for Boeing Aircraft Co. While working at Boeing, he completed course work at Wichita Technical Institute. He then attended Arkansas City Junior College where he majored in pre- engineering.

While attending junior college he met and married Patricia Simpson who was attending Newton Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. After graduating from junior college, he attended Oklahoma State University where he earned a BS degree in Technical Education. Ralph and family moved to Columbus, Ohio to work for the Cooper Bessemer Corporation for several years.

While living in Ohio, he received an invitation from Oklahoma State University to join the faculty and teach in the Electrical Engineering Department. Ralph returned to Oklahoma and began his teaching career. He has received a MS degree and has been teaching for over twenty-three years at the college and vocational-technical school level.

Patricia Ann Simpson was born February 26, 1940 to Percy and Idabelle Simpson in Lansing, Michigan. She is a registered nurse and supervises a home health care program in the county where they live.

The children were: Angela born October 6, 1961 in Winfield and lives at home, Steven Andrew born October 8, 1964 in Mt. Vernon, Ohio and died in 1980 in a traffic accident.

We plan to retire in Cowley County.

Submitted by Ralph D. Biddle
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 126.

Back to the top.

Betty (Myrick) Bishop Family

I'm grateful today for my parents who survived the Great Depression. They showed perseverance when there was no jobs and no money.

There was a man living south of Atlanta, who would plant 20 or 30 acres of potatoes. Everyone called him "Potato Crowley." My father was one of the men hired to pick up potatoes from the field for 50 cents a day.

I'm thankful for my forefathers who were patriots and soldiers during the American Revolution and for those who fought for their cause in the Civil War.

There's a pride knowing that my father, husbands and son enlisted to defend once and forever the meaning of hope and freedom.

My parents played a major role in giving me a sense of love for God, home and country.

I'm appreciative of the entrepreneuring ancestors who were outstanding in their contributions. C.C. Myrick lived an adventurous life. Going to the Klondike while still in his teens, he became a gold miner and amassed a fortune in gold dust and nuggets. In 1889 he was a passenger on a boat on the Yukon, which sunk in the icy river. He was one of nine survivors but lost his accumulated savings of $80,000 in gold.

Eldon Myrick, son of Frank, was a supervisor of all the forests in Idaho in 1947.

I inherited similarities much like my ancestors. I voice my views like my English mother and have an Irish temper like my father.

Grandmother Myra Ethel Ellsworth Myrick, and two cousins taught in Burden area schools.

My sister and I were educated in art at Wichita State University, Wichita Kansas and became teachers.

After WWII, Henry George Strauhs came to Atlanta where his mother Berneta McGregor and husband operated a restaurant.

George Strauhs and Betty Myrick were married January 21, 1946. A son, Lonnie George, was born at St. Mary's Hospital at Winfield, October 22, 1946. We lived in Atlanta until about 1950 when we moved to the Blair Ranch.

Lonnie graduated from Atlanta High School and enlisted in the Air Force June, 1966. He married Reba Mae Huckaby April 7, 1967. After he was discharged from the Air Force, they lived in Atlanta before moving to Haysville and then Wichita, Kansas. They are the parents of Delonna Marie, born May 5, 1969 and Phillip Danial, March 20, 1974. Delonna Marie and Shaman Mckee have two daughters. We moved to Atlanta about 1970 and the marriage ended in divorce.

I moved to Garden City and taught school from 1975 to 1986. Homer Kenneth Bishop and I were married at Poteau, Oklahoma, December 1, 1976. We retired on the old homestead in Atlanta in 1986.

I have reached back into history to compile what I have read and been told to reveal an important segment of living and accomplishments,

Submitted by Betty (Myrick) Bishop
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 126.

Back to the top.

The Bishop-Covert Family

William G. Bishop, a cabinet maker, left the Carolinas for the North because he did not want his family to grow up in slavery country. He settled in Indiana, then went on to Illinois near Towanda, McLean County. His son, one among eleven children, James Vernon Bishop, also a cabinet maker, moved to Brown County, Kansas, and on down to Butler County near Eldorado. His son, John Wesley met a William Covert, an (continued on page 127)

Submitted by Enid Bishop Collinson
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 126.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 127

(continued from page 126) expert stone mason, and learned the trade from him. John and William Covert supplemented their farm incomes by working on buildings in Arkansas City, returning home over the weekend. John eventually married Irena Covert, William's daughter, and they moved to Arkansas City. Irena was born in Kankakee, Illinois. She and her family floated down the Missouri river to St. Joe. Missouri, then went on to Brown County, Kansas, before coming to Butler County, Kansas. This is how the two families met.

John Wesley Bishop and Irena lived in a house that was in the northeast corner of what is now Wilson Park. They started raising their family here. The old well they used was there until recently when it was removed for the building of a monument.

The mule-car train ended at their corner. The boys loved to help the driver turn the car around. The driver, grateful for their help, took them for a ride each time to please them.

John Wesley made the run into Oklahoma in 1889 along with two brothers and William Covert. John waited in line for four days to register their claims in Guthrie.

The land was poor. Red dirt, many evergreens and rocks. He cultivated the acres he could and a big garden was much in evidence. John saw he must once more add to their income, so, he would walk the nine miles to Guthrie and work as a stone mason during the week, returning, on foot, to the farm with a week's supply of needed things. There was a cow, chickens, a horse, wagon, but the wagon and horses were needed on the farm for heavy chores. So, John Wesley walked.

Everyone worked. The children attended the country school when there were no chores at home, and managed to finally do the full six years offered by the school.

John Wesley enlarged the house, dug a well, made a cave for Irena to fill from the garden, enough to last the family through the winter. The children were now Clarence, Walter, James LeRoy, John Raymond, Gertrude, Cora, Tina, Ethel, and Flossie. My father, third in line, and named James LeRoy, married Mary Elizabeth Mettz. They had been sweethearts all thru Teleroll Country school. They moved to Guthrie. Roy, as he was called locally, worked for The Dawson Produce Company.

Four children were born to this couple; Helen, Marvin Esther and Vera. Roy moved his family to Arkansas City, Kansas, to be the manager of his company in that city, the year being 1912. Their last child, Enid, was born there.

Roy eventually was able to buy the company, renaming it "The Bishop Produce Company". Mary Elizabeth (or Bess as she was known), was his secretary. The children spent much time exploring the big building, learning how the business was run and eating many fruits and vegetables from faraway places. There were three banana rooms in the basement. The fruit was brought in by freight train to the dock. Men, wearing protective shoulder pads carried the fruit to the basement to the first room where the temperature was just right to start ripening the green fruit. Then the bunches of bananas would be moved to the second room where the temperature was even warmer. The third room was the last to prepare for selling to stores up town. There were fresh roasted peanuts, always red apples from the state of Washington, oranges from Florida, fresh vegetables from many Texas valleys. Never was there such a wonderful place in which to grow up.

Two brothers followed Roy to Arkansas City. Walter Wesley and John Raymond. Each had five children which added up to fifteen Bishop cousins. What fun! Yes, What fun! The tribe would take a picnic to Green's Farm, play Volley Bal, swim in the Walnut River, hold foot races, tell stories of the early days and enjoy each other. Arkansas City proved a good move for the Bishop families, a good growing up place for the children and a good home for all.

Submitted by Enid Bisbop Coginson
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 127.

Back to the top.

Earl & Pamelia Blankenship Family

Earl and Pamelia Blankenship have lived in the Udall community all their married lives. Willie Maude Hammond and Edward Blankenship came from Russell County, Kentucky to the farm near Belle Plaine, where, Earl, one of thirteen children, was born in 19 10. He attended country schools and Belle Plaine High School.

Pamelia, one of six children, was born at Burden, Kansas to Howard and Elizabeth Henthorn Collins. Her family moved to Billings, Oklahoma, Valley Center and Belle Plaine, Kansas where she graduated from high school. She attended Harding and Ft. Hays Kansas State Colleges and became a teacher.

Pamelia and Earl met in 1930, but times were hard and married women didn't teach. Earl worked for area farmers and Pamelia taught and they hoped for better times.

Earl's mother died in 1933 and in 1935 the family moved to a farm in Ninnescah Township southwest of Udall. After his father died in 1937, Earl and Pamelia decided to marry and provide a home for the younger children.

They were married in Wichita, April 17, 1937 and began farming, three miles south and one-half west of Udall, with a few chickens, milk cows, pigs and some horse drawn machinery. All food was homegrown except staples. Pamelia was inexperienced, but with the help of Earl, the children and kind neighbors, she soon learned to be a farmer's wife.

The children all graduated from high school. Effie worked in Wichita, attended business college, married Loyd Meisenheimer and had one daughter. Walter and Carl were veterans of World War II. Walter worked for Santa Fe RR, married Phyllis Gloyd, and had two sons and farmed in Iowa. Carl graduated from Denver University, married Velma Lowrey, adopted two daughters and retired from Phillips Petroleum Co. to Sun City, AZ. Dorothy married Robert Brown and had three children. She lives in Dallas, TX with husband, Ed McManaman.

Pamelia and Earl have three children. Anita Sue attended Oklahoma Christian College, married Gene Turney, had four children, graduated from St. Mary of the Plains and is an RN. Richard graduated from Oklahoma Christian and Kansas State, married Ada Church, became a veterinarian, had three children and practices in Edmond, Oklahoma. John attended OCC, married Shirley Morgan and both graduated from Kansas State. They live southwest of Udall and have two daughters, Jennifer and Becki. John farms and Shirley teaches.

In 1947, Pamelia and Earl moved to the farm four and a half miles southwest of Udall where they built a new house in 1959. At the time of the Udall tornado they had some minor damage to outbuildings. They were saddened by the loss of so many friends but assisted in the salvage and cleanup. Pamelia served on the Red Cross Committee for rehabilitation and rebuilding.

The family attends Belle Plaine Church of Christ. Earl served on the boards of Ninnescah and Udall school, Udall CoOp and Community Building. Pamelia belongs to Bushnell Club and Co-Operettes EHU. When the children were grown, she graduated from Southwestern College, and taught again.

Pamelia retired from Oxford School in 1972, Earl retired from farming in 1977. They celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary in 1987 and are looking forward to the sixtieth.

Submitted by Pamelia Collins Blankenship
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 127.

Back to the top.

The Blass Family

My parents were Oliver Riley and Julia Ann Blass. Mother's maiden name was Little. Father's family were immigrants from Germany; mother's family were immigrants from England. The folks were married in Syracuse, Ks. in 1886 August. They later moved to Topeka, Kansas, then Elreno Oklahoma. During this period of their lives they had twelve children - eight boys and four girls: Harry, December 12, 1888; Vinnie, September 10, 1892; Carl, May 9, 1899; Arvilla, July 8, 1897; Roy, October 18, 1891; Zetta, Feb. 22, 1906; Ray, July 8, 1895; Eleanor, August 28, 1913; O.T., January 8, 1900 Orland, March 5, 1904; Leonard, December 12, 1908; Eldon, November 25, 1909.

Dad was away from home for several months at a time constructing roadbeds for railroads. It was done the old-fashioned way with teams of horses and mules, and slips and scrapers. With the help of the older children, Mom farmed and raised the younger children, no small task.

The family move to Arkansas City in 1917 was the beginning of a new life for the members. Most of the children were grown; some were adults; a few were able to find jobs. The four youngest children attended the now historical landmark high school. This was a marked change in itself. In Oklahoma cotton was "king" and school was scheduled around the planting and harvesting seasons. The resulting two-session school year was quite disruptive to school attendance. Various levels of grade school were all the older children were able to complete.

Times were hard and jobs scarce, especially during the "Great Depression" of the thirties. Amazingly, all twelve children survived to adulthood, married, and formed families. Except for Leonard and Vinnie, all lived to retirement age. Harry moved to Oklahoma City; Carl moved to Denver, Colo.; Roy moved to Rosell, N.M.; O.T. moved to Ponca City. The rest of the family members and their families were in Arkansas City until world War II. We enjoyed many a fine family reunion on Sundays and Holidays.

All of the original family is deceased now, except Eldon, Eleanor and I. Eldon lives in Belleview, Florida; Eleanor lives in Sherrodville, Ohio. I was very fortunate: I had good health and a good job all of my adult life. I worked for the Crude Transit Pipeline Co. for 26 years, then the Anderson Pritchard Oil Co. for seven years after the ownership change. Off and on during my years as an oil-gauger, I farmed a 160-acre place which I owned about six miles east of Arkansas City. Except for some years at Oxford, Kansas and Enid, Oklahoma, I have been a resident of Cowley County. I am now 94 years old and reside with my wife Maudeline in Arkansas City. We are faithful members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Bible Christian Church.

My two sons, Leon and Loren, live in Houston, Texas and Colorado Springs, respectively- Maudeline's daughter and son, Ann and Eddie live in Deercreek, Oklahoma and South Haven, Ks. respectively. It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Submitted by Roy O. Blass.
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 127.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 128

Bliss Family

C.A. Bliss, son of James and Anna Bliss, was born in 1831 in Sarasota Springs, New York. He married Julia M. Tuttle, daughter of Chauncy and Amy Tuttle, in 1854 in Beloit, Wisconsin. They moved to Winfield in 1870 and established the first general merchandise store, called "Bliss and Tousey". In 1872 he founded a flour mill (Winfield Roller Mflls) at Bth Street which was powered by water from the Walnut River. The mill and dam were built by J.W. Millspaugh. In 1880 C.A. Bliss sold the mill to B.F. Wood and later bought back a half-interest. This mill burnt to the ground August 13, 1882, and was rebuilt and back in operation on February 20, 1883. Julia Tuttle Bliss died in 1882. C.A. Bliss died October 15, 1893. They had one daughter, Blanche. C.A. Bliss had two nephews in New York who moved to Winfield: E.S. Bliss and E.H. Bliss.

Eugene Spencer Bliss, born March 13, 1847 in Hume, New York, came to Columbus, Kansas, in 1868 and then moved to Winfield. He married Mina Millspaugh Hawkins March 1, 1874. (She is the sister of J.W. Millspaugh, the man who built the Winfield Roller Mills for C.A. Bliss in 1872.) They had five children but by 1917 only one (Porter E.) had survived. Eugene Spencer Bliss spent his working career traveling for the Winfield Roller Mills and The Bliss and Wood Flour Mills. He died December 25, 1917 in Strassburg, Missouri. Mrs Mina Bliss died October 8, 1928 in Winfield.

Elbert Herman Bliss was born December 9, 1849 in Wyoming City, New York. He came to Winfield in 1877, where his uncle C.A. Bliss owned and operated the Winfield Roller Mill. On January 15, 1881, he married Nancy Catherine Burr, who was born May 13, 1850 in Angelico, New York. She died April 26, 1916 in Winfield. They had three children.

Miss Julia Bliss, daughter of Elbert Herman Bliss, was born September 28, 1884, in Winfield, Kansas. She had two brothers who preceded her in death: Herman Spencer Bliss and John Lawrence Bliss. Julia Bliss served her adult life as a librarian. She was employed in 1927 as assistant librarian at the Winfield Public Library. In November 1935 she became Head Librarian and remained in that position until she resigned in 1943. In 1959 she was appointed assistant librarian at Wichita Public Library and held that position until her death September 11, 1969 in Wichita, Kansas.

Submitted by Dan L. Wortman
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 128.

Back to the top.

Bonewells of Cowley County

Returning Civil War veterans often discovered that their home neighborhoods had changed during their four-year absence and found it necessary to move westward. Littleton Keller Bonewell, along with his older brother, William, and several other Indiana veterans, some who had marched from west Tennessee clear to Richmond with Sherman, organized a wagon train for their immigration to western Cowley, County, Kansas in 1870. Their aim was to cash in on their Civil War "G.I. Bill" and settle their families on granted land near the Arkansas River-land which was mostly timbered and reminded them of the Southwestern Indiana forests where they had been reared. They established a little Indiana neighborhood and produced children who all attended HiRview school and grew up to marry one another, and have thus maintained many of the original family names, which are prevalent in Cowley County today.

Polly Ann (Fender) Bonewell, Lit's wife, and children, Aldinci, Hattie and Elihue made the trip from Indiana but, within three years of their arrival, Polly Ann died. Her grave can be found in the Oxford Cemetery. In 1875, Littleton married his second wife, Caroline Susan Huff, who, being sixteen was the same age as her step daughter, Aidina.

The family lived on their Beaver Township farm until Littleton's death, June 12, 1912. During their thirty-seven years marriage, Let and Caroline added nine children to the family. Four boys and five girls.

All of Littleton's offsprings, and their spouses, have passed away except Gertrude Dauden Bonewell, Arthur's wife, who at ninety years serves as the genealogical authority for the family as well as performing duties with her extension club and Church.

Littleton Bonewell was recognized as a community leader. In 1874, as a result of an Indian uprising in the Indian Territory, he was commissioned, First Lieutenant in the Kansas Militia and was established as the commander of a home guard unit that was organized to protect the community against possible marauding Indians from the Indian Nation. He was active in GAR and always participated in the summer reunion at Island Park. At this event, a highlight of the year, the Civil War veterans' families gathered at the park to live in tents, similar to those in a military encampment, and to participate in patriotic activities, campfire song tests, entertainment programs, fellowship and nostalgia. It was a time when the bearded vets gathered under the shade trees of the park to recall adventures and privations they had shared during the years of the "Great Rebellion".

Many of Lit's children immigrated to South Eastern Colorado in 1915 to homestead prairie farms (as did several other Cowley County families at the time). But all of the Bonewell offspringshad returnedtokansas, except Orlando Dick, by the lime the U.S. entered WW I.

Although most of Lit's offsprings remained in central Kansas, the next generation was widely dispersed by WW II. These nephews, nieces, first and second cousins now reside in many places in the USA.

Submitted by George W Kefley
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 128.

Back to the top.

Shirley Ann Bowman Booe

I was born at the Newton Memorial Hospital, in Winfield, Kansas, July 12, 1942. 1 am the youngest of four children born to Ray and Dollie Bowman. My older sister and brother, Phyllis and John, were born while my parents lived in Harper and Barber Counties. My brother Jim and I were born after mom and dad moved to Cowley County. I was their only child born in a hospital, the rest were born in the family home.

My childhood years were spent on a farm about half-way between Atlanta and Rock. On our farm we raised the usual things. There were grain crops of wheat, corn, cats, alfalfa, and one year barley; then there were cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, and turkeys.

Each one has a story of its own, but I guess I remember the most about turkeys. Domestic turkeys require a lot of attention during their growth period, consequently, it helps to have kids at home. During the summertime my brothers got to sleep with the turkeys at night, to keep out the predators, while my sister and I herded them in the daytime. Then the whole family got the privilege of getting up any hour of the night if it rained, or even if it looked like rain.

Then there is the wheat story. It all began on a sultry day, when even breathing is an effort, and ended with a hail storm that completely wiped out our wheat crop. Mom had wanted to buy a new house that year, dad a car, we got neither.

Childhood to us meant mostly the progress of the 50's or the rebirth of the country after World War II. It meant our first telephone, a paved road past our house, electricity along with the demise of the coal oil lamp, and water piped into the house. There was the yellow school bus, Prairie View School and church, Atlanta High School, graduation, and marriage.

I married Jim Booe on September 25, 1960. We have lived the majority of our married lives in rural Winfield. In the late 60's we bought the new house and car, that mom and dad had wanted, but thank goodness we never raised turkeys.

Submitted by Shirley Bowman Booe
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 128.

Back to the top.


Guiseppe Vincenzo Bossi, known to his East Bolton neighbors as Joseph Bossi, came to this region in 1872. Born Oct. 5, 1834, in Porta Ceresio, Italy, a small town near Lake Como on the Swiss border, he was orphaned by the death of both parents when he was about 12. His sisters were named Paulina (Pauline); Catrina (Catherine); and his brother was named Giovanni (John), all older than Joseph.

John and Joseph were apprenticed to learn sculpture, marble, and stone cutting when quite young. Joseph was eleven. They became self-supporting from then on. John, the older brother, was so proficient that he was sent later to the Academy of Fine Arts in Milan when he gained recognition as a marble cutter and sculptor, and when recruiters were sent to Italy by the United States government to find and hire talented sculptors for the Capitol Building in Washington, John was one of 20 promising young Italians chosen for this work. For three years, John worked on the stone frieze in the senate retiring chamber, most of the time lying on his back upon a scaffold as he carved.

Because of his brother's success in America and also because of military conditions in Italy, Joseph decided likewise to seek his fortune in the new world. Docking at New York, he worked his way southward along the coast settling for a time in Savannah, Ga., where he opened a small confectionery store. There he saw brutal aspects of slavery to which he was strongly opposed. When the Civil War appeared imminent, Joseph found conditions unfavorable to a northern sympathizer so he went to Maryland and joined the Union Army. He served the term of his voluntary enlistment, about three months, and then found employment in Washington, D.C., near his brother, John, both working as marble cutters and stonemasons at the Capitol Building during Abraham Lincoln's administration.

Upon completion of their work at the Capitol, the brothers turned westward. John established a monument business in Delavan, Wisconsin; Joseph opened a confectionery store in Chicago. Business flourished until Oct. 1871 when the famous Chicago fire destroyed Joseph's store. Insurance companies were unable to pay their claims and Joseph, hearing of opportunities in Kansas decided to come here. En route to Kansas in 1872, he became friends with the Italian speaking family of the late A.A. Buzzi, a prominent stonemason who helped erect many of the cut stone buildings in Arkansas City. Buzzi invited Bossi to stay with their family in East Bolton until he could find a farm of his own.

Joseph bought a farm adjoining the Buzzi farm. This farm has remained in the family ever since. Bossi married Ellen C. Brown, daughter of a neighbor Andrew Brown, and built for her a limestone masonry block house from his own quarry, The house is now occupied by a grandson, John V. Bossi.

As a stonecutter, Joseph worked on many of the stone buildings in Arkansas City and helped with some of the early buildings at Chilocco.

All during those early years, Bossi walked to work in town and back to his East Bolton home, a distance of about ID to 14 miles daily, because he owned no other method of transportation. When he had tools to transport, or fruit to sell, he pushed them in a wheelbarrow. He never farmed his land, preferring to let it out to tenants. He was land of fruit and had a large orchard and vineyard.

Joseph and Ellen had four children: Vincent, Paul, John and Mary. When each child was born a new tree was added to the orchard. The orchard was locally famous with neighbors coming from miles around to buy. Joseph died in 1894, but his trees were a source of income for his wife and children for many years. (continued on page 129)

Submitted by Dorothy Vanskike Faidley and Norma Heffner.
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 128.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 129

(continued from page 128) Three of these children, all deceased now, married into area families and were prominent farmers and leaders in the East Bolton Community. Vincent married Gertrude Tipton; Paul chose Pauline Mumaw for his wife and Mary and Harry Vanskike married. John T. Bossi enlisted in the army and was killed in France during World War I.

Submitted by Dorothy Vanskike Faidley and Norma Heffner Bossi
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 129.

Back to the top.

Douglas Bourdette Family

Douglas Bourdette was born 8-12-1862 in Henry, Illinois (Marshall County). His parents died during his early childhood and at the age of four, he went to Berea, Ohio (near Cleveland) to live with Mr. and Mrs William A. James on their farm. Mr. James was a cousin of Mr. Bourdette. Helen Schmidt (who later became Mrs Douglas Bourdette) came to the United States with her two sisters from Germany in 1873 when she was three years old to live with an uncle in Ohio. Later, the children were adopted by foster parents and Helen went to live with Mr. and Mrs. William A. James. Here she met Douglas Bourdette who taught her the English Language.

Mr. Bourdette first came West to Winfield in 1878. In April, 1886, in partnership with Mr. Applegate, he went in to the restaurant business. Mr. Bourdette later became associated in the restaurant business with Mr. W. Davis. Later Mr. Bourdette opened his first (single ownership) restaurant at 808 Main Street. In 1893, Mr. Bourdette expanded his business operations by opening Columbian Parlors, which was a combination restaurant, bakery, ice cream parlor, billards parlor and dance room for "the bonton during the winter seasons". This business covered two floors. The Winfield Courier described this establishment in the 1901 supplemental edition as follows: "These parlors are unexcelled in this section of the state. Upon entering the door, you will observe to the left the large and elegant soda fountain, to your right you see a large handsome solid glass cigar case, following on each side of the room are elegant shelving and counter of the finest workmanship, while in the center of the room are three rows of dainty and stylish tables with light fancy chairs to match, this suggests ice cream at once especially if you have a young lady with you. The counters and shelving are resplendent with all the sweets of life, none of the bitter."

Shortly after opening Columbian Parlors, Mr. Bourdette further expanded his business operation by acquiring yet another restaurant at 913 Main Street. This two story high restaurant was described in the 3-14-1901 Courier as Mr. Bourdette's leading restaurant. At this time, Mr. Bourdette also opened a clothing store which was located on Main Street. In the early 1920's, Mr. Bourdette became the proprietor of the St- James Hotel. In 1922, he purchased a bakery in McAllen, Texas, although he maintained his residence in Winfield.

Mr. and Mrs. Bourdette had four sons: Edward, Robert, Harry, and Doug, and two daughters, Bernice and Florence. Mr. Bourdette died 8-11-1928. He had the distinction of being the first to pipe natural gas into Winfield in 1905.

The Cowley County Biographical Record described Mr. Bourdette as "a shrewd, wide awake businessman and his courteous and genteel manners have won for him a place in the esteem of his fellow citizens of Winfield. He is an intelligent and public spirited citizen of Winfield and lends his influence to foster all enterprises which in his opinion tend to promote the general welfare". In 1897, his fellow citizens manifested their confidence in him by electing him to the city council."

Edward Bourdette died early in life. Robert Bourdette worked for his father. Robert died in 1936. Bernice Bourdette moved to McAllen, Texas and died in 1947. Florence also moved to McAllen, Texas. She died in 1977. Doug Bourdette (Jr.) lived in Winfield all of his life. He died in 1977.

Submitted by Robert 1. Bourdette
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 129.

Back to the top.

Harry J. Bourdette Family

Mr. Harry J. (Bing) Bourdette initially helped his father, Mr. Douglas Bourdette run his Winfield business operations. In 1922, Harry went to McAllen, Texas to help his father get their most recent business venture (a McAllen bakery) started. While in McAllen, Harry met Miss Rhodia Lee Pullin, the daughter of Mr. Louis Pullin, a McAllen rancher and U.S. Marshall. Rhodia Lee came to Winfield in 1930 and was united in marriage to Harry Bourdette 4-21-1930 at Grace Episcopal Church in Winfield. The couple opened the Har-Bour Cafe located at 219 E. 9th in Winfield, in April 1935. The name came from the first three letters of Mr. Bourdette's first name and the first four from his last name. This restaurant flourished and has been described as an extremely popular dining establishment during World War 11. Harry and Rhodia Lee Bourdette operated the Har-Bour Cafe from April 1935 until 1945 when they sold the restaurant with plans for opening a more modern restaurant. Harry and Rhodia Lee had one son, Robert (Bob) who was born 10- 1 B-1943. In 1947, Mr. and Mrs. Bourdette opened the "Colony" restaurant at 809 Main. The Colony's attractive interior decoration included one wall which contained a series of photo-murals which depicted the history of Winfield.

Harry Bourdette died suddenly of a heart attack on 12-1 1 1947, following a cardiac illness of four months. Following Mr. Bourdette's death, Mrs. Rhodia Lee Bourdette, this time in partnership with Mrs- Leslie (Mickie) Hedges, bought back the Har-Bour Cafe. Mrs. Bourdette sold her interest in this restaurant in September, 1950. She then joined the ready-to-wear sales staff at Kerr's Department store in Winfield. She was employed at kerr's from 1950 until 1981, when she retired due to ailing health.

Harry and Rhodia Lee Bourdette's son, Robert (Bob) Bourdette, graduated from Winfield High School in 1962. He then served four years in the U.S. Air Force, including thirteen months in Korea during the early days of the Vietnam War. Bob then attended Washburn University in Topeka, graduating with a BBA in 1969. Bob then entered the graduate school of education at the University of Kansas where he received his Master of Education degree with an emphasis in counseling in 1973. Since 1974, Mr Bourdette has served as a rehabilitation counselor serving physically and emotionally disabled people for the State of Kansas and has been an administrator with the Dean of Students staff at Washburn University of Topeka, Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas, and Southwestern (continued on page 130)

Submitted by Robert J. Bourdette.
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 129.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 130

(continued from page 129) College (Winfield). Mr. Bourdette's last full time academic post was Southwestern College in Winfield where he was Director of Student Housing and a member of the teaching faculty. At this writing (March 1990), Mr Bourdette is a certified rehabilitation counselor with disabled people for the State of Kansas and teaches part-time in the psychology departments at Southwestern College and Cowley County Community College. Mr. Bourdette is an active member of the Winfield Rotary Club and an active trustee of the H.L. Snyder Memorial Research Foundation.

Submitted by Robert J. Bourdette
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 130.

Warren A. & Sarah Ann Bowen

Warren A. Bowen was born near La Harpe, Illinois, Oct. 3, 1849. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Harless Bowen. When a small boy, he moved with his parents to another of their farms near Raritan in Henderson County, Illinois. He lived there until his marriage to Miss Sarah Ann Venning in Blandinsville, Illinois on Dec. 19, 1872.

Sara Ann Venning was born in South Bloomingville, Ohio, Dec. 7, 1853, the third daughter of seven children of Henry and Elizabeth (Bone) Venning, As a very young child she went with her parents to Wisconsin, later moving to McDonough County, Illinois.

Sarah's father, Henry Venning, enlisted as a volunteer of the 78th Regiment of Illinois in 1862 during the Civil War leaving his wife Elizabeth and seven children ranging from age fourteen to the little 3-yr-old twin girls. He was killed in the last skirmish of the war at Jonesboro Landing by a mini ball in September of 1864. The war was almost over, He is buried in the National Cemetery at Marietta, Georgia.

For a time, Sarah Venning taught in the schools of McDonough County.

Warren and Sarah were married December 19, 1872 and farmed near Raritan for twenty-five years. They had three children; Fredrick Anderson, Grace Mabel and Leona Blanche.

In 1900 Mr. Bowen moved his family to Cowley County because he thought the "farmland would be good."

Bowen, upon arriving in Kansas, first rented land from a man by the name of Alec Graham. "The farm was west and north of Winfield and the house sat on a high bluff overlooking the Walnut River." (from the diary of Leona Blanche (Bowen) Ott.)

The family later moved to a farm, owned by Lawrence Fry, nine miles southeast of Winfield in the Liberty township. They made their home on this farm for almost thirty years until the death of Mr. Bowen on July 26, 1930 at the age of 80 years. Sarah (Venning) Bowen died November 26, 1933. Both are buried in Highland Cemetery, Winfield.

They are the grandparents of Everitt and Robert C., the children of Fredrick and Clara Bowen; Mrs. Leland (Helen Gordon) Smith, Ralph Gordon and Mrs. Wilson (Frances Gordon) Druly, the children of Bradley and Grace (Bowen) Gordon; and Mrs. Donald (Marjorie June Ott) Williams, Mrs. Ernest (Mildred Elaine Ott) Moore and Mrs. Harold E. (Carol Jeanne Ott) Rhodes, the children of Ollie Ray and Leona Blanche (Bowen) Ott.

Submitted by Carol Jeanne (Ott) Rhodes
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 130.

The Bradbury Family

Charles G. Bradbury was born 9/22/1842 in Griggsvifle, Pike County, Illinois. Sarah Almira BaUou was born 1/31/1844 in Blandinsvihe, McDonough County, Illinois. Charles served in the Civil War and returned to his home in Pike County where he married Sarah on 1/31/1866. They had three children; Delbert Edison (10/12/1867), Flora Belie (1/26/1869), and Eugene Clark (7/20/1870).

In the spring of 1874, Charles and Sarah loaded their family and belongings in a covered wagon and headed for Kansas where land was available for homesteading. When they arrived, they found the land covered with tall prairie grass. They chose a site five miles west and two and one-half miles south of Winfield and received a land grant for the property signed by President Ulysses S. Grant. They selected the farm because of a small stream located on the property, fed by springs and named Beaver Creek. In those early days, traveling Indians would camp beside the stream. It was not uncommon for these Indians to come to the house for food and Sarah always had something for them.

Charles was one of the founders of the Easterly School District on the Vernon-Beaver Township line. His action started a precedent of school board service that lasted through four generations in the Bradbury family.

When their children grew up, Edison moved to the east of Winfield where he and his wife farmed until their deaths. The daughter became Flora Belie Sargent and died with her child in childbirth on 9/7/19?????? XX/29/1900, Eugene married Mildred Dora Smith (b. 7/20/1876) from Oxford, Kansas. Eugene and Mildred remained on the family homestead and operated the farm. Charles died 4/l/1894 and Sarah followed on 2/15/1907.

Eugene and Mildred gave birth to four children: Walter Eugene (1/18/1902), Etna Marie (10/30/1905), and twins Nelson Theo and Noble Cleo (9/l/I 1). Walter died from a farm accident on 7/6/1923. Eugene died on 1/6/1944 and Mild?????? XX/13/51. Etna married Harold Nelson (see the Nelson Fami?????? XX/10/1923. Harold and Elna had no children. After Harold's death of tuberculosis (12/25/1941), Elna lived with her brother Nelson on the family homestead. Nelson never married and died on 9/15/1974. Elna moved to Winfield in 1980 and died on 3/29/88. The horse barn at the Winfield Fair Grounds was named "Bradbury-Johnson Barn," honoring Nelson's many years of volunteer service to the Fair Association.

Noble married Katherine Lorraine Houston on 7/18/1934 in Perry, Oklahoma (see the Houston Family). After a short period of time living and working in Winfield, they moved to the rural area and took up residence on a farm one- half mile north and one-quarter mile west of the homestead. This was a farm purchased earlier by Eugene Bradbury from Julia B. King. Nobel and Lorraine had two children; Noble Dean (I 2/ 16//36) and Charles Robert "Bob" (5/27/39). Noble continued the family farm operation in partnership with his brother Nelson and, in later years, with his son Bob. Noble served as secretary of the Cowley County Fair Association for about 12 years and was Cowley County Commissioner for 12 years. After retirement from farming in 1980, Noble and Lorraine moved to Winfield. Noble died 5/13/1986. Lorraine then married John Moore on 4/14/1990.

Dean, a paraplegic from a farm accident at age 5, graduated from Southwestern College, became a C.P.A. and has been associated with the firm of Edw. B. Stephenson & Co. in Winfield since 1960. He married Diane Archer Gor?????? XX/28/ 1979 and they reside at 1921 E. 12th in Winfield.

Bob Bradbury married Anita Kay Hor?????? XX/27/57 (see the Cochran-Horton Family). They live a mile north of the Bradbury homestead. Bob and Kay had five children' Russell Leon (9/18/1958), Walter Jay (8/2/1960), Matthew Alan (11/24/1961), Jeffery Gene (12/26/1968), and Ann Marie (6/17/1970).

Russell married Teresa Ann Hodgson on 8/9/1980 and they have two children; Clint Michael (3/11/82) and Candace Renee (2/27/1984). Russell farms the Bradbury land in partnership with Bob and Jeffery. He and his family reside at the home site where his father was born and raised.

Walter married Colleen Therese Grogan on 1/3/1981. They have two children; Jennifer Gail (2/23/1982) and Emily Nicole (5/7/1985). Walter graduated from Kansas State University with a masters degree in engineering and has worked for the Caterpillar Company since graduation. He and his Family reside in Peoria, Illinois.

Matthew married Kay Marie Spillman on 4/4/1981 and they have two rhfldren; Sierra Marie (8/10/1983) and Taylor Matthew (6/13/1988). Matthew has worked for the Anthony Clothing company for a number of years and is currently the manager of the Winfield Anthony's store. He and his family reside at 1718 Ritchie in Winfield.

Jeffery is in school at Kansas State University majoring in agriculture. He plans to join the farm operation and currently resided with his parents. Ann has completed her second year at Emporia State University majoring in elementary education. She also resides with her parents.

The Bradbury family is proud of their homestead history and their family's participation in the development of rural Cowley County.

Submitted by N. Dean Bradbury
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 130.

Phil L. & Morea M. Bradley

Dr. Phil L. Bradley and Morea Marlene Schiff were married on April 8, 1971 at the Wee Kirk Chapel, Cedar Vale, Kansas and reside at 915 Mansfield Street in Winfield, Kansas.

Phil was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania in Mercer County and it is quite interesting to note that Morea Marlene was also born in Sharon but in Barber County of Kansas.

Phil left Southwestern College in 1956 to enter Dental School and came back to Southwestern College to finish the few hours needed to graduate with the Class of 1957. He received the Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree from the University of Missouri in 1960. Dr. Bradley has been in the practice of Dentistry in Winfield for the past thirty years.

Morea Marlene Schiff attended Southwestern College and the Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas.

Phil and Morea have four daughters, Marci, Mitzi, Marya and Morea Maxine. Phil has five children from a prior marriage, Philip, Living Daughter 1, Living Daughter 2, Living Daughter 3, and Patricia. We have one daughter at home, Morea Maxine. She is a senior at Winfield High School and is enrolled to attend Wichita State University this fall.

Morea (Marlene Schiff) lived in Sharon, Kansas all of her life until she graduated from Sharon High School. She was a cheerleader and was always involved in every school activity.

Morea came to Southwestern College in September following graduation and lived at Smith Hall until she transferred to Kansas State University. Morea has been employed by the Kansas Farm Bureau of Manhattan, Kansas and has been the business manager I or her husband the past eighteen years.

Morea enjoys flowers, especially African Violets and roses. Her other interests include collecting, reading, cooking and knitting. But her favorite past-time now revolves around our grandchildren, Ivy Nicole, twins Brandon and Ryan, Evan Lewis and Molly Tess. They certainly do bring much joy and happiness to our lives. Not to be forgotten is her pet Lhasa Apso, Sebastian.

Morea is active in the Alpha Delta Chapter of the Epsilon Sigma Alpha sorority. They have many civic projects and most of her work goes towards efforts to help the St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

Phil lived in northwestern Pennsylvania until his graduation from Saegertown High School in 1949. He then attended Allegany College in Meadville, Pennsylvania. This schooling was interrupted by the Korean War, Phil joined the United States Air Force and was tail-gunner on a B-29 superfort bomber and flew 44 combat missions over North Korea. He was forced to bail-out (parachute) of a burning B-29 in 1951. His awards include the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters, three battle stars and numerous other decorations. Following his tour of military service he attended Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas before transferring to Southwestern College in 1954. (continued on page 131)

Submitted by Phil L. Bradley
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 130.

Back to the top.

- 126 - 127 - 128 - 129 - 130 -

Back To Heritage Book Page INDEX

EMAIL Cowley County Coordinator
Karen Rodenbaugh ....Arkansas City, KS

Email corrections and submissions to Steve.

State Coordinators
Tom & Carolyn Ward, Columbus, KS