Artist rendering from Goldie Piper Daniels book "Rural Schools and
Schoolhouses of Douglas County, Kansas"
Belleview School District No. 50
A one and one half acre tract of land was deeded to District No. 50 from Max
Sommer on November 24, 1874. The school board members were G. Joy, C.M.
Sears and T. Conner. This tract of land located in Eudora Township, at the
intersection of East 2000, and N. 1100 Rd.
C. M. Sears was Captain to a group protecting the area of Hesper, Kansas
during the Civil War. Five of this group met with none other than Larkin
Skaggs on the morning of August 21, 1863. Skaggs was a Baptist preacher
riding with William Clarke Quantrill on the dreadful day of August 21, 1863.
After the raid, about 9AM, Skaggs was too drunk to notice his comrades had
withdrawn form Lawrence. This group was credited with having dispatched this
border ruffian. Larkin Skaggs was the only raider to have been killed. His
nude, mutilated body was dragged over the streets of Lawrence, thrown in a
ditch and left to the scavengers and hot August, Kansas weather!
Belleview School was named for the beautiful view to the east. The only
known teacher prior to 1897 was Gertrude Wells. Through personal letters, it
is thought that she taught an enrollment of 70 students during the years
For a time in the late 1800’s, Belleview had the largest enrollment of any
school in the county. In 1898, 82 students were crowded into the one room
For the term of 1898, Lizzie Tuttle taught 82 students for the salary of
$41.00 per month. The next term was taught by Cora Weller, followed by J. O.
The school’s overcrowding forced the board to approve an additional room to
the building and to utilize two teachers, per term.
The teachers of 1901-02 and 1902-03 were: Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Robertson.
Teaching the next term were; A.C. Sanborn and Alpha Lane; followed by
Blanche Pilcher, Bertha Allison, Edith Walganount, Lena Jones, and Estella
Lybarger. B.F. Allison was the only teacher for the term of 1907-08, due to
declining enrollment. Clyde Butler taught the last term of 1909-10.
The next decade was taught by: Clyde Butler, Edith Hass, Nellie Lewis,
Nellie Hyland, Maltre Sheppard and Bernice Gilfee. Because of increasing
enrollment, two teachers were again required. Teachers were: Alda Davis and
Bernice Gilfee; followed by Alda Davis alone for the next two terms.
Teaching the 1920’s; Alda Davis for five terms; followed by Lola Wilbur and
Ethel Pfleger. The next teachers were; Kathleen Kellselly, Mildred Wheeler,
and Alda Davis. The term of 1925-26 was taught by Ethel KindredMabel
Hevener, Violet Wilson, Louise Freese, J.B. Birchead, and Edna Musick. The
term ending in 1930 shows an enrollment of 43
Teachers of the 1930’s: Marian Grist, Edna May Musick, Milton Junice, Buena
Vista Morgan and Murian Madl.
There were only three teachers in the 1940’s, Alma Votaw, Alma Knott, and
Lena Milburn, who taught five years. The school was closed the next two
years. Belleview School District No. 50 was disorganized on February 26,
1948. The District consolidated with Weaver School District No. 86 and
Eudora District No. 28, to form the new District of Eudora No. 89.The
building was sold at auction and dismantled. A new home was built on the
A video tour of Belleview school honoring our fallen soldiers
The KSGenWeb logo and wheat background is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. The USGenWeb ® logo was designed by Linda Cole. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.