Douglas County KS Schools
Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Harmony School District No. 57
This rural Douglas County school located on one acre is one and one half
miles east of E. 1800 Rd. on N. 800 Rd. or one-half mile west of E. 2000 Rd.
on N. 800 Rd. (1954 N. 800 Road.) The site was established for use as a
school on March 29, 1871. The one acre lot was deeded to the school district
from Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Karnes, Hannah Hoffman and Mr. and Mrs. Virgil
Hoffman. The first school board consisted of James Potter, Thomas Stout and
John Pugh. Under the agreement, the site could only be used as a school.
When the district disorganized, it was turned over to Howard Deay.
The materials for this native sandstone building were quarried from the
surrounding hills. Originally there were two doors entering into the one
room. Lewis Swanson from Minnesota was the stonemason.
The unique name of this school was a result of two youngsters fighting on
the grounds on the day the school was to be dedicated. The boys’ fathers
became involved and the dispute was eventually resolved. It was from this
encounter, that the name “Harmony” was suggested and accepted for School
District No. 57.
Early teachers were Alice Reed in 1894-95, George Nichols in 1895-96 and
Alvin Crouch, 1896-97.
For the term of 1897-98 A. H. King taught 54 students. The following year he
became the county superintendent.
Teachers through the 1909-10 terms included: Leslie Fitz, Helen Gill, A. H.
Crouch, Ada Hill, W. H. Harrell, J. W. Phelps, George Nichols, Clara Allison
and Leroy Harris. Board members were; J. L. Deay, W. E. Hoskinson and Jake
Teaching during the 1920’s: Vera Saile, Cora Eckman, Grace Fordyce, Milldred
Day, Wini Stevens, Ellen Owen, Bernice Holmes and Mildred Cook.
Teachers of the 1930’s: Hazel Shirar, Lottie Harrell, Mrs. Cochran and
Josephine Staadt. Board members were, Howard Deay, Dale Crady and Ed Hadl.
Faye Hagerman Deay thought 19 students in 1940 and continued teaching here
until 1947, when the school disorganized. The last term of school only had
an enrollment of six students. On April 28, 1947 Harmony School District No.
57 consolidated with Vinland School District No. 88.
This building still exists today and has been converted to a residence.
Harmony Grade School @ the Vinland Fair 1938
Front row-Max Hagerman, Ted Crady & Carol Deay Randel - 2nd row
Phyllis Miskimen, Marguerite Boehle ,
Jr Hadl, Mary Miskimen,Nora Jean Miskimen, Arlus Deay, Alta Nichols,
Floyd Murray. 3rd row. ?, Grace Miskimen, Delores Hadl, Dorothy Boehle, Opal
Miskimen?, Margaret Cochran (teacher), Millard Murray, Virginia Nichols &
Harmony School gets a facelift and is a residence now
Harmony Grade School painted by Mary Ann Crady
The KSGenWeb logo and wheat background is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. The USGenWeb ® logo was designed by Linda Cole. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.