Douglas County KS Schools
Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Jones School District No. 73
Jones School District No. 73 was established sometime around 1870. It was
located on the west side of Dg. Co. Rt. 1039, about two and one-half miles
south of Dg. Co. Rt. 458.
It is likely the school’s name was derived from the first known clerk for
the school, Mr. J.L. Jones. The other members of the school board at that
time were William Brass and Peter Nuffer. The first teacher was A.M. Gaston.
The early years of this school’s existence saw many financial difficulties,
thus the school terms ranged from three to seven months.
A well with a pump was added in 1877. The board decided at that time it was
cheaper to purchase coal in lieu of wood to heat the school, so the change
Finally in 1879 a seven month term was established. This length of term did
not last for long. In 1880 the district found themselves again in debt. The
school terms was then shortened to six months. The six month term lasted
until 1894. When the school returned to a seven month term, Ella Stone was
hired as teacher.
Florence Hartup was hired to teach the 1897 term, by school board members
D.H. Anderson, Harry Barber and W.F. Brass. She taught 21 students.
Teachers serving the district until 1910 were: Rose Barker, Maggie McCollum
Beth Kanga, Delia Mulville, Rose Burnette, Bessie Taylor, Viva McKenzie,
Blanche Gaines and Grace Klein. Serving the district on the school board
were Arthur Walter, F.H. Bucheim and G.A. Anderson.
Ida Steele taught the next school term, followed by Jessie Moore, Marie
Supple, Ernest Harrington, Phebe Bigsby, Ruth Glenn, Lillian Overbaugh and
Lenora Schroyer. The school board was served by John Gress, G.A. Anderson
and W.E. Fitzpatrick.
The original building burned to the ground in 1908. It is believed that for
the next two years school was held in a private home. During this time a new
school building was being constructed.
The decade of the 1920’s were taught by: Ida Steele, Ruth Miller, Elizabeth
McClannahan, Grace Bleske, Lois Wells, Mabel Shaw, Ellen Lackey, Theresa
Anderson, Theresa Guenther and Mary Anderson. The enrollment was now 9
students. Samuel Bucheim, J.F. Brass and G.A. Anderson served on the school
1930’s teachers were: Loretta Trendle, Helen Norwood, Eunice Brass, Irene
Mahoney, Dorothy Williams and Freida Rothchild. By the end of the term
ending in 1938, the enrollment had severely declined, so no school was held
here until the term beginning in 1940.
An eight month term had now been established and Viola Glenn taught that
term with 3 students. This term proved to be the last for the district.
Jones School District No. 73 disorganized on December 31, 1947 with the
district being divided between Starr No. 19, Yarnold No. 40 and Deer Creek
A public auction was held on October 11, 1947. All equipment including the
coal shed, pony barn, building and foundation were sold. The building sold
Photo from display at the Wakarusa River Valley Heritage Museum, Clinton
The KSGenWeb logo and wheat background is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. The USGenWeb ® logo was designed by Linda Cole. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.