Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Lakeview School District No. 1
Located near the intersection E. 1200 Rd. and N. 2000 Rd, The first school
to serve District No. 1 was about 16’ square and was of wood frame
construction. This first building was built somewhere around 1860, and
served the community for approximately seventeen years. This one acre tract
was deeded to the district by Elmira Hornsby. The school board accepting
this transaction consisted of A.S. Stehwein, Eben Baldwin and F. Brune in
The small 16’ building was replaced with a larger building of native stone.
The smaller building was relocated one half mile north and became part of a
From the records of 1897-98, two school board members were Frank Brune and
J.C. Patton. The seven month term was taught by Alma Caldwell.
In the spring of 1899 the building was damaged beyond repair by fire. A new
brick building with a cellar was approved and constructed. This was the last
building to serve the district.
Adah Deering and Simon White taught the next two terms, with Nellie Olsen,
Cosia Fry, Katheryn Migiario, Erna Rudolph, Alta Roe, and Esther Swanson
completing the first decade of the new century.
The next decade saw a six month term for 1917, while the rest were of seven
months. Teaching the decade were: Edith Pollock, Jessie Borg, Elizabeth Cox,
Hazel Wilson, Mary Stephens, Gladys Harding, Pearl Stewart, Esther Knop and
Dora Wilson. With 13 students, the school board members were J.C. Beurman,
D.H. McCreath and Albert Brune.
The 1920’s were taught by: Dora Wilson, Lucille McCreath for six terms,
Gladys Hemphill and Telitha Newton. The school board members were now Owen
Mitchell, Albert Brune and David Perkins. The enrollment now was 25
Telitha Newton, Thelma Haverty, Josephine Key, Hilda Hunter, Laura Miller
and Crystle Ganbhart, were the teachers of the 1930’s. The enrollment had
dropped to only nine students. Serving on the school board for the term
ending in 1940 were Earl Skinner, Owen Mitchell and Albert Brune.
Starting the 1940-41 term, Crystle Ganbhart was the teacher for half of the
term. She then resigned and Orva Hoffman completed the term. The school
enrollment had now declined to five students. Teaching the next two years
was again Orva Hoffman. Lakeview School District No. 1 was closed for the
next two years due to declining enrollment.
In 1947 Lakeview No. 1 consolidated with Riverside to form the new District
No. 1. The new school district elected Elmer Husted, Owen Mitchell and W.J.
Brink to the board.
All the property of Lakeview No. 1 was sold at auction. For many years the
building served as a rental property and served many purposes. The building
was eventually dismantled.
Photo is from 1908.