Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Prospect School District No. 56-
Prospect School District No. 56 was established on September 20, 1877 when a
one acre tract of land, located on the northwest corner of N. 400 Rd and E.
1850 Rd. was deeded to the school district by Eliza and John A. Booth.
The first building constructed here was of wood frame construction, with a
door on each front corner of the building. The building also had a belfry to
beckon the children to the school. The boys entered through one door, the
girls through the other. The school like many others was heated by a wood
burning stove located in the rear of the building. In 1917 the school
suffered a chimney fire, completely destroying the building.
A new wood frame building was built to replace the former building. This
newer building had a separate room containing the stove and coal. This
building also had a short life of only ten years. It too was destroyed by
fire in 1927. A nearby home served as the school until a third building
could be constructed. The third and last building used as a school for the
district was of similar design to that of Farmland No. 71. This school
building had a basement, where the furnace was located. This last building
served the district for nearly twenty years.
Alma Madl was the teacher of record for the 1897-98 term, followed by
Margaret Cowgil, and Ida Kershner teaching the term ending in 1900. The next
teachers were; E.P. Monahan, Otta Rhoades, Lola Neely, T.S. De Vault. Alta
Couch, J.W. Murdock, Maclaren Murdock, Marian Leach with Marion Murdock
teaching the last term of the decade. Serving on the school board for the
term ending in 1910 were Joseph Madl, George Weiler and Martin Rohe Sr.
Maclaren Murdock taught five terms of the next decade, with the remaining
teachers of Ida Steele, Hazel Beard, E.L. Powell, Paul Selzer and Mary
Scheher. The school district board was served by George Weiler, J.W. Frye
and George Rohe.
The 1920’s were taught by; Ocia Laughlin, Ida Breithaupt, Ferne Cochran,
Clara Randel, Verba McCormick, Clarence Craig, Bernice Holmes and Meri
Wallace. Twenty-five students were enrolled. George Rohe, O.O. Kretsinger
and John Bell were the school board members.
Merle Wallace was the first teacher of the next decade followed by Irene
Neis, Elaine Campbell, Moleta Laughlin and Ruth Rohe teaching the last term
of the 1930’s. The school board was represented by Martin Rohe Jr., J.F.
Madl and Ocia Kretsinger.
Ruth Rohe was the first teacher of the 1940’s followed by Jean Hughes,
Marian Madl, Ethel Deay, Jessie Vitt, Mary Prim, Doris Murdock, Jerold
Hobson, Frances Maple and Delores Stecher. Serving on the school board for
the term ending in 1950 were Alois Madl, Russell Rohe, and Esther Michael.
Teaching the next and last term for Prospect No. 56, was Delores Stecher
with thirteen students enrolled.
Prospect School District No. 56 was disorganized on April 29, 1953 and
became part of Douglas, Franklin, and Miami Joint District No. 1.