Douglas County KS Schools
Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Vespertine School District No. 37
The earliest school building in this area was probably a log cabin in the
1860’s. In 1867 a one acre tract of land was deeded by Carrie and Sinclair
Plato Harlan to the board of School District No. 37. Those school board
members were Sinclair Jefferies, Thomas Hauhan and Levi Williams. This one
acre tract was located southwest corner of N. 100 Rd. and E. 2300 Rd. in
extreme southeast Douglas County. A small wood frame building was built on
this site. The first name of this school was “Hannam”, but was later changed
to “Vespertine.” Where either name was derived is unknown.
James Atherton taught twenty-one students during the term of 1897-98, with
W. Rhoades and C.C> Balch the only two school board members of record.
Teaching 43 students the following year was Marian Kidder.
Teaching the early 1900’s were; Edith Wiley, Mary J. Stewart, Nora Rhoades,
Leota Scott, Clarence Carlton, Kate Dixon, Anzanettie Stone, R.H. Colley,
Clyde Blair and Sterlee Wilson. The three school board members for the term
ending in 1910 were Byron Shields, J.L. Hughes, Jr. and J.E. Mignot.
The first teacher of the next decade Grace Preston, followed by W.E. Hill,
Grace Preston again, W.E. Hill again, Carrie Reed, Irene Van Tries, Augusta
Techmeyer and Ellen Melville completing the decade. The school board members
of record for the term ending in 1920 were W. Rhoades, Byron Shields and
Ellen Melville was the first teacher of the next ten years. She was followed
by LaVerne Brecheisen, Irene Fairchild, Dora Zeilsdorf, Ruth Pearson Van
Tries, Dora Williamson, Beryl Goodwill, Gladys Price, Merle Wallace and
Helen Gutschow. School board members for the term ending in 1930 were
Gertrude Thorne, W. Rhoades and A.F. Neis.
Teaching the next decade were Wilma Rhoades, Eula Secrest, and Mrs. O.C.
Tharp teaching four terms. A.F. Neis, F.T. Thorne and Carl Hughes served on
the school board during the 1930’s.
The history of Vespertine School District No. 37 was coming to an end. The
school had only four teachers during the 1940’s. They were Mrs. O.C. Tharp
returning, followed by Mary Primm, Esther Gibson and Rosemary Stewart
teaching two terms ending in 1946. After this term, students were sent to
Wellsville, with expenses paid by District No. 37.
Vespertine School District no. 37 was disorganized on July 7, 1947 and
became part of Wellsville School District No. 1 Franklin County.
Artist's rendering by Goldie Piper Daniels.
The KSGenWeb logo and wheat background is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. The USGenWeb ® logo was designed by Linda Cole. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.