Douglas County KS Schools
Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Washington Creek School
Washington Creek School District No. was established on June 24, 1863 when
Sarah and Darwin Bowen deeded a one acre tract to the school board members
representing District No. 22. Those serving on the board were Sylvester
Creel, Joseph Lovelace and Darwin Bowen. This site was located about
one-half mile west of Dg Co. Tr. 458 on the north side of N. 1050 Rd.
Like many other school districts, the first building to serve District No.
22 was a log cabin about three-quarters of a mile from this site. Soon after
this one acre tract was deeded to the district, a native stone building was
constructed. Maggie Boyd was the first to teach in this building which
served District No. 22, for sixty years. The records of 1879 show Mrs. M.L.
Lyons teaching followed by Miss E.M. Emmett Dolbee, Abbie Coltrane Spray,
Clara Parky Hammig, Samuel Carson, Lizzie Splain, Winnie Halderman Finley,
James Shuck, Ada Rothrock, Hilkey, L.R. Traver, Rachel Flory, John Akers,
Mary Reynolds Garvin, Lillian Grover Brown and Gertrude Bell Ulrich,
teaching the school term ending in 1897.
In 1897 the construction of a new wood frame building was approved.
Construction of this new facility took place during the school term of
1897-98. This term had an enrollment of thirty-eight students, and was
taught by Alice Jay.
Emma Ulrich Petefish was the first to teach in the new building. This was
for the term of 18998-1900.
The early 1900’s were taught by Mabel Reynolds, Maud Cartwright, Elva
Helstrom, Gertrude Ulrich, Mayme Brune, Emma Rohrer, and Lola Flory. The
school board members ending this decade were John Gray, Henry Beck and P.C.
Jessie Moore was the first teacher of the next ten year period followed by,
Lillie Smith, Nellie Hyland, Emma Dews, Edith Strong, Amelia Overbaugh and
Mary Landon. Hugo Schellhorn, O.P. McNess and G.F. Martin served District
No. 22 as school board members.
Lola Wilbur was the first to teach in the 1920’s, followed by Mary Norris,
Mary Isaacs, Alice McTaggart, Alta Murray, Florence Smith and Mabel Shaw
teaching eight students for the term ending in 1930.Those serving on the
school board were D.E. Bond, Jugo Schellhorn and J.W. Banks.
Mabel Shaw, Mary Anderson, Vivian Shields and Mary Sparks were the four
teachers of record for the ten year period of the 1930’s. H.F. Longandcker,
Fred Gray and Roy Curtis served on the school district board.
Mary Sparks returned to be the first teacher of the 1940’s followed by Agnes
Stevens, Rose Nichols, Clara Wilson, Genevieve Dunlap and Florence Demeritt
teaching nine consecutive terms. School board members ending the 1940’s
decade were Neal Banks, Fred Gray and Roy Curtis.
Teaching the term of 1957-58 was Jessie Vitt, followed by Verna Ellsworth,
teaching in 1958-59.
The end had arrived for Washington Creek School District No. 22 on June 24,
1959, when the district was disorganized and consolidated with others to
form Wakarusa Valley School District No. 98.
The KSGenWeb logo and wheat background is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. The USGenWeb ® logo was designed by Linda Cole. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.