Douglas County KS Schools
Email me to update information on this page or to add yourself to this
Douglas County KS School information provided by
Willow Springs School
Willow Springs School District No. 51 was established on April 12, 1870 when
Mary and E.H. Van Hoesen deeded a tract of land to be used as a school to
the School District No. 51 school board members. This school was located
north of the intersection of N. 550 Rd. and E.1100 Rd.
E.H. Van Hoesen first came to Douglas County in 1854 and brought his wife in
1856. The Van Hoesen’s established a general store, hotel, and post office.
This was to serve the community and travelers along the Santa Fe Trail.
The first building to serve District No. 51 was of standard design, facing
south, with a front door and three windows per side. This building served
the community until 1903, when it was relocated, sued as a barn and then
demolished. The new building had the customary two front doors, entering
into a boys and girls cloakroom, on each side of a raised platform (stage)
where the teacher’s desk was placed.
Teaching thirty-three students during the 1897-98 term was Mabel Reynolds,
followed by B.A> Hammond and Sallie Tomlison teaching the term ending in
1900. School board members were G.W> Reynolds, William Flory and David
Dora Reynolds taught the next term followed by May Forth, Clara Lutz,
Lucille Dearth, Minnie Williams, Rosalie Griffiths, Mabel Pence, and Bessie
Boyd, teaching the last term of the first decade of the 1900’s. Those
serving the school board were G.W. Boland, C.E. Pearcy and Elwood Deay.
The first to teach during the next decade was Anna Woodward, followed by
Richard Koff, Alma Busby, Lloyd Perryman, Catherine Gorbutt, Lloyd Sprugeon,
Lula Pence, and Edith Schwalm. Those serving on the school district board
for the term ending in 1920 were W.H. Postma, David Beeghley and F.A. Deay.
Edith Schwalm taught the first four terms in the 1920’s followed by Mildred
Chandler, Orpha Cunningham, and Elnora Anderson teaching two terms ending in
1930. The enrollment was now eighteen. F.A. Deay, E.D. Churchbaugh and Carl
Van Hoesen served on the school board.
The first six terms of the next decade were taught by Olive Brown, followed
by Mildred Springer and Mae Turner teaching the last three terms of the
1930’s. The district school board was served by F.A. Deay, E.E> Churchbaugh
and D.F. Beegley.
Teaching the 1940’s were Arlene Horne, Buena Vista Ulrich, Evelyn Wade,
Louise Pohl, Geneva Baker, Maxine Tornigal teaching only one and one-half
months, and Doris Raffety completing the term, followed by Doris Raffety
again completing the term ending in 1950. Those serving on the district
board were Carl Johanning, B>A> Brohammer and Arley Flory. The enrollment
was now fifteen.
James Kring taught the first term of the 1950’s which proved to be the last
for Willow Springs. He was followed by Edith Moses teaching four terms, then
Virginia Pearson, Martha Relp teaching one month, then Amy Herrin, and Doris
Pratt teaching two terms ending in 1960. This building continued to be used,
until the term of 1964, when Marion Springs opened.
Willow Springs consolidated with others to form Marin Springs No. 101.
Willow Springs school building was sold at auction, and now has been
relocated southwest to about one-quarter of a mile south of N. 100 Rd. on E.
100 Rd. It is now on private property. Please respect!
The KSGenWeb logo and wheat background is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. The USGenWeb ® logo was designed by Linda Cole. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.