Originally named Bantam, the town of Hyacinth was located Northwest of Hays in Buckeye Township, roughly at section 13 of township 12, range 19. In 1910, the towns name was changed to Hyacinth in honor of Reverand Hyacinth Epp of Herzog.
St. John the Baptist Church was built there in 1906 and served it's parish until it was closed in August 6, 1967. The original parish consisted of the following families:
James Ross, John Miller, Cornel Stecklein, George Schmidt, Alex Geist, Adam Pfeifer, Michael Geist, Peter Schoenfeldt, John O'Loughlin, Andrew Pfeifer, Lawrence Maschka, and Alex Rohr.
Father Edward Heil, O.F.M.,Cap.,was the first pastor. John Ross and John Miller were instrumental in the establishment of this church.
The history of Hyacinth is documented in The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926.