From various sources it has been shown that H. Nieman was the first settler in what is now known as Harvey County. In June, 1869, Mr. Nieman took up a claim on the West White Water River (in what is now Richland township). Mr. Nieman was followed in July of the same year by William Lawrence and Hubbard Wilcox, who settled in the immediate vicinity. In the fall of 1869 William McOwen, Charles Schaefer, John Corgan, W. T. Wetheral, John Wright and S. Decker located in the vicinity of what is now the town of Sedgwick.
THE VILLAGES OF HARVEY COUNTY
Burrton - established 1873
Halstead - established 1877
Hesston (Elivon) - established 1886
Newton - established 1871
North Newton - established 1887
Sedgwick - established 1869
Walton - established 1871
THE LOST VILLAGES
Darren McMannis is your Harvey County KSGenWeb Coordinator
Harvey County Submissions & Queries Are Encouraged
of Blue Skyways including the KSGenbWeb
The KSGenWeb logo was designed and copyrighted by Tom & Carolyn Ward for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
The USGenWeb logo was designed by Linda Cole.
Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.