Marshall County Obituaries

A -- F


(Advocate-Democrat--Marysville KS--19 Nov. 1908

Mrs. W. E. Allen died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Yarger, adjoining town on the east, Sunday morning at 7:30 o'clock after an illness of three months. The cause of her death was bilious fever with other complications. She was seventeen years, five months and thirteen days of age.

The funeral was held from the home of her parents yesterday morning at ten o'clock the services being conducted by Rev. J. S. Spears, pastor of the Christian church and interment made in the Marysville cemetery.

Carrie R. M. Yarger was born in this city on May 19, 1891 and grew to young womanhood in our midst. She was united in marriage to W. E. Allen on December 13, 1907, and for several months they made their home in Summerfield and from there they removed to Oketo. From Oketo they moved to Valley Falls where they continued to r eside until deceased was taken ill and was brought to the home of her parents that she might receive the care of her mother during her illness. Medical attention and the best of care were hers but in the strife for life the disease won the victory and death claimed its own Sunday morning.

Besides her husband she is survived by her parents and several sisters and brothers.

To the parents the removal by death of their daughter in the bloom of her youth and young womanhood has been a hard blow and tenderest sympathy is given them by many sorrowing friends in their bereavement.}


Advocate Democrat--Marysville, Kansas--28 September 1900

Died--At his residence on east Broadway, at 5 o\rquote clock Thursday evening Sept. 20th, O. C. Allen, aged 82 years. Funeral services were held at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Geo. T. Smith, on Sunday afternoon at 2 o\rquote clock and were largely attended. Mr. Allen was an old settler and enjoyed the love and respect of a large circle of acquaintances.


The Irving Leader
June 30, 1933

Mrs. Mary Alleman, 86, of Frankfort, formerly a resident of Pleasant Valley neighborhood, passed away at her home Sunday morning, June 25, following a five week's illness. Several from Pleasant Valley and Antioch neighborhoods were among those who attended the funeral services Tuesday afternoon at the Free Methodist church in Frankfort conducted by the pastor, Rev. Julian Rose, assisted by Rev. Chas. Porter of Wichita, who has been in envangelic services at Blue Rapids since June 22. Grandma Alleman's long life of Christian example and service has been an inspiration to many. Her husband, Samuel Alleman, preceeded her in death by 30 years. Interment was in Antioch cemetery, and those from a distance attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Verne Alleman and daughter Freda and Clark Alleman of Loup City, Nebr.; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Alleman of Lincoln; Mrs. Alfred Alleman of Colby, Kansas; Rev. and Mrs. Lloyd Alleman and Reva of Kansas City, also Mrs. Howard Stiles and daughter Helen of Broughton.



The Irving Leader
May 15, 1903

Samuel Allman departed this life at his home 7 miles northeast of Irving, Monday morning, May 11, 1903, aged about 62 years. He attended religious service at Antiock, his usual place of worship, Sunday the 10th; and taught his class and took part in the other exercises with his customary earnestness and at night retired to rest in apparent good health. The next morning his devoted wife, on attempting to arouse him, found that he had entered that "sleep from which there is no waking." Only the mortal remained, the immortal having taken its flight to that "home beyond." He was noted for his integrity and his firm stand for his convictions of duty. He was converted at an early age and about 17 years ago sought and obtained the experience of holiness, without which he had felt salvation incomplete. About six years ago he felt he could the better advance the cause of "full salvation" in his community by uniting with the F. M. church at Antioch and has ever since been a faithful servant of the church there. The funeral services were conducted at the home by Elders Root and Neil of the F. M. church, and the body was laid away in the Antioch cemetery. A faithful wife and six sons with a host of friends shall feel deeply their loss of one whose life and presence was ever an influence for good.


The Weekly Review
Frankfort, Kansas
May 15, 1903


Another of Marshall county's respected citizens and an old resident, Mr. H. Alleman, died at his home on the Blue Rapids road, Wells township, some time during the latter part of Sunday night. He retired Sunday night in his usual health, making no complaint of feeling ill at all, and all that is known concerning his death is that some time during the night his wife was awakened by his heavy breathing, but thinking it was caused by his position, she spoke to him, and he turned over in bed, and Mrs. Alleman was soon asleep again. When she awoke Monday morning she was shocked to find that he was cold in death, death probably coming to him at the time she noticed his heavy breathing, probably some time soon after midnight.

The funeral took place Wednesday.

Mr. Alleman was a man of strict honesty and integrity, and was held in the highest esteem by all his neighbors and friends, who extend to the sorrow stricken wife and family their greatest sympathy.


The Weekly Review
Frankfort, Kansas
May 22, 1903

Samuel Alleman was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, Feb. 3, 1841 and died May 11. He served the Union Army faithfully for three years enlisting as a volunteer of the 16th Ohio Infantry company G. Mr. Allman was united in marriage with Miss Mary Carver Jan. 21, 1866. To this union were added six sons and daughter all of whom survive him except the daughter who died some years ago. They moved to Nemaha county, Kansas in the spring of 1872 and from there they moved to where they now reside in Marshall county in 1890.

Morally Mr. Allman was a firm believer in christianity. He was converted in his youth and said in his testimonies "I never have been sorry I gave my heart to God when young." While he was always true to his trust from the time of conversion he still felt the need of a deeper work of divine grace. He said, "I felt if there was no provision made in the atonement for deliverance from inward sin, salvation was certainly incomplete." Seventeen years ago at a camp meeting he heard holiness preached and at once sought and obtained the experience knowing holiness was what he craved. About six years ago he attended meetings held by the Free Methodist and fell in harmony with their doctrines and cast his lot with them. He remained a faithful and beloved member of said church until death.

The happenings which cluster around his death are as follows: Saturday morning he went to Irving and in the afternoon he came to this city and took an active part in a street meeting held by the Free Methodists. Sunday he attended two Sabbath schools and took an active part in both. Sunday evening his wife retired at bedtime but he sat up and wrote a strictly religious letter to Evangelist Craig, this was his last act on earth. He retired about eleven o'clock and some time during the night passed away. Mrs. Allman slept soundly allnight and waking in the morning she said, "Pa it is time to get up" but received no answer. Placing her had upon him she found him cold. Springing out of bed she moved around where she could see him the face and discovered that he was lifeless.

Contributed by Rex Touslee

Obituary of Daniel C. Auld

The Frankfort Weekly Review, Frankfort, Kansas
Friday, October 15, 1896, p. 5

At the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. G. Holmes, North Topeka, at 9 o'clock a. m. Friday, October 9, 1896, Mr. D. C. Auld, aged 86 years.

The remains were brought to the home of his son, J. B. Auld, on the 4 o-clock Sunday morning train, October 11, and the funeral occurred from the Presbyterian church at 2 o'clock P.M., Sunday. Rev. McGillivray officiating.

Deceased was born in Westmoreland [sic] county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1810. While yet a mere youth he removed with his parents to Harrison county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and in March, 1839, he was marri ed. He removed with his wife to Kansas in 1855, and settled upon the farm southeast of this city where he lived continuously up to the time of his death. The house now on the place, although it was been repaired and somewhat remodeled, is the same build i ng that he first built for a home, and in which himself and family lived through all the trials of pioneer life, as well as when the fruits of their labors afforded the comforts of a happy home. And when the body of the good man was brought home for burial, Sunday morning, it was taken to his old home where it reposed until the hour for the funeral. With the exception of serving in the army of the union, and a few short visits to relatives at other places, Mr. Auld has remained closely at home during all his life.

In 1857 Nottingham post office, the second post office established in Marshall County, was established at the home of Mr. Auld, and he was made postmaster until he entered the army, at which time his son, W.H., took his place as postmaster. In 1867 the post office was removed and became the Frankfort office. Mr. Auld was the first justice of the peace in Marshall county, serving in that capacity three years. In 1861 the people of the representative district, composed of Marshall and Nemaha co u nties, honored him with an election to the office of representative to the first legislature in Kansas, in which position he served his constituents in the same honest, conscientious manner that has characterized his entire life. He served his country fa ithfully in the civil war as second lieutenant of Company G 13th Kansas Infantry, and although in some of the hardest fought battles, he escaped without injury.

He was the father of nine children, of whom five are now living--three sons, W.H., J.B. and Hale, all of whom reside in this vicinity: and two daughters, Mrs. M.J. Moore, of Pueblo, Colorado, and Mrs. C.G. Holmes, of North Topeka.

Mr. Auld was an unusually healthy man for a man of his extreme age, and when he left Frankfort, about two months ago, for a visit with his daughter in Pueblo, no one except his relatives ever thought that there was even a possibility of his not returning safely. But after being in the mountains a few weeks, the air affected his nervous system to such an extent that his physicians though it best for him to return to his Kansas home. When prostrated he was visiting a ranch forty miles from Pueblo, where he was immediately taken, and from there took the cars for Topeka. His niece, Miss Agnes Auld, accompanied him. He seemed very hopeful and cheerful on the trip home, and when they arrived at his daughter's in North Topeka seemed to be getting better. No one thought his condition serious until a few moments before his death, which occurred on Friday, and up to the very last he talked cheerfully to the relatives around him, death coming very suddenly and peacefully--a fitting termination of the life of one who had always lived a consistent, charitable and Christian life.

Coming to this county when it was almost a barren waste, Mr. Auld courageously fought his part in the battle against adversity, and did his share in the work of improving and transforming it into one of the most prosperous sections of the west; when freedom called for the noble sons of the country to go upon the battle field and defend their country's honor, he was one to cheerfully answer that call; when public duties devolved upon him, he performed those duties with fidelity to his trust; and, best of all, when those less fortunate than himself needed aid and assistance, he always gave it cheerfully, and many were the pioneers who sought and received aid from their friend, "Uncle Dan Auld."

While another of the pioneers of Marshall county has gone to his final reward, and while his death will be mourned by a very large number of friends and his form, bowed with age, will be seen upon this earth no more, all realize that in his death the soul of a good man has been called to reap the reward of a noble, well spent life. The bereaved family have the sympathy of all in their sorrow.

Contributed by Esther Mott

Mrs. William Barrett

Daily Index
Frankfort, Kansas
Thursday, 20 Sept. 1945

"Mrs. William Barrett dead.

    Postmaster R. C. Barrett received the sad news Monday of the death of his mother, Mrs. William Barrett, which occurred at her home at Hubbell, Nebr, Monday morning (17 Sep). She was 85 years old.
   "Mrs. Barrett had been in failing health for the past three years, but her condition did not become serious until shortly before her death, and her passing came as a shock to her relatives and many friends. She was a former resident of this community, having resided at Barrett until about 30 years ago. She has a host of friends in this locality who will regret to learn of her death.
    "She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. J. E. Conklin and Mrs. J. R. Posey of Hubbell; one son, R. C. Barrett of Frankfort; one brother, Wm. Montgomery of kansas City, Kans., and other relatives who have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.
    "Funeral services were held at Hubbell Wednesday morning (19 Sep) at 10:00 o'clock, followed by short services at the grave and burial in the Barrett Cemetery that afternoon (19 Sep) at 3:00 o'clock."

(Notes from RWE: Allowing 4 hours after the funeral service until the burial was needed. From Hubbell, NE, to Frankfort, KS, is about 80 miles; the roads were not paved. The cemetery database records her name as Lorena Ann MONTGOMERY, her maiden name. Her married name was BARRETT; she married William BARRETT about 1886.)

Contributed by Dick Edmonson and Nikki Nickell

James M. Barringer

Fri, 20 Dec 1889, p:3 col. 5.


James M. Barringer died at the residence of his son-in-law, M. C. Brainard, in Oketo, on Saturday Dec. 14, 1889 aged 75 years 9 months and 10days. Funeral services conducted by Rev. D. W. Elwell of Marysville assisted by Rev. Baldwin, Monday 16th inst. After which the remains of the deceased were borne to the Marysville cemetery where they were laid to rest beside those of his wife. As Mr. Barringer was one of Marshall County's early settlers a brief biography may be of interest to the readers of the News. He was married to Jane Roberts in 1838 and was the father of nine children, six of whom are yet living. Came to Kansas in 1872, settled on an improved farm which is now a part of what is known as the "Good Shepard" farm east of Marysville, where his wife died in January 1878. He sold his farm and returned to Troy, New York, in 1888, remaining but two years when he again came to Kansas, and has since made his home with his children - the last two years with Mrs. Brainard. Three of his daughters - Mrs. Geo. Hamilton, Mrs. Brainard and C. F. Pusch of Marysville were at his bedside at his death and did all that kind hands could do for a dying father.

Contributed by Ruby L. Ewart


(from Beattie Kansas Newspaper)

Funeral services were held Monday morning, May 4, 1959 at 10 o'clock at St. Malachy\rquote s Catholic Church in Beattie for Mrs. Samuel Bigham, who died at Community Memorial Hospital here on Friday, May 1, 1959, after a brief illness. She was 79 years, two months and three days of age. Fr. William Nelligan officiated and interment w as in St. Malachy's cemetery.

Mary Elizabeth Bigham was born in Bern, September 8, 1879, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Root. The family moved to the Beattie community in 1886. At the age of 16 she was united in marriage to Patrick L. McMahon. To this union one daughter was born, Mrs. Mae Nieman, who was fatally injured in an accident in 1930. Mr. McMahon preceded his wife in death in 1904.

On April 12, 1908 Mrs. McMahon was married to Samuel Bigham, who died in December of 1953.

Mrs. Bigham was preceded in death by her parents, three sisters, and one brother. She is survived by four nieces and five nephews. Pall bearers were C. C. Gaston, Maurice O\rquote Neil, Reuben Hurtie, Joe Thorn, Frank Naaf and Glen Wuester. Kinsley Mortuary was in charge of the service.



Samuel W. Bigham, lifelong resident of the Beattie community died at his home there on Sunday, December 20, 1953 at the age of 73 years four months and 6 days.

Funeral services for Mr. Bigham were to be held Tuesday, December 22, at 2 p.m. at the Smith Funeral Home in Marysville. Interment was in Beattie Union Cemetery.

Mr. Bigham, a farmer, was born in Marysville on August 14, 1880. He was married December 14, 1903 to Mary Elizabeth Root, who survives him.

(From the Marysville Advocate, January 7, 1954, pg. 7)

Contributed by DorothyBailey


The Frankfort Daily Index -  Friday - March 10, 1922

Henry Bottger Dead
died March 8, 1922 in Oklahoma

Henry Bottger, an old resident of the Vliets community, died in Oklahoma, and the remains are being shipped to Vliets for burial in the Morrison cemetery, beside the grave of his wife, Jane, who died November 26, 1913.   Mr. Bottger was born in Flensburg, Sleswick-Holstein, Germany on September 11, 1934,  the son of Jacob and Dora Bottger. Henry came to the United States when he was just seventeen years of age.   He first married  Arzela  Jane McGlothlin on December 30, 1860 in Andrew County, Missouri.  they had 6 children,  she died in 1873. Mr. Bottger then moved to the Vliets, Kansas area and married Jane Burney on August 24, 1882.   He is survived by two daughters; Rose Palmer,  Mary Doris St.John; and 3 sons; John Frederick, George Washington, Fred.  One son Charles Henry  preceeded him in death.



Vermillion Times - Thursday - November 27, 1913

Mrs Jane Bottger
died November 26, 1913

Mrs. Jane Bottger, wife of Henry Bottger, died yesterday morning at 4 o'clock at her home in Vliets, following an illness of several years. Mr. Bottger was so overcome with grief he fainted twice soon after his wife passed away.  The deceased was born in Jamestown, North Carolina,
September 19, 1836.   She was married to Henry Bottger on August 24, 1882, and for the past 25 years they have lived in the vicinity of Vliets.  She was a fine old lady, and much beloved by all who knew her. Funeral services will be held in the M. E. church, Vliets, Friday afternoon, Rev. E. M. Nunally officiating.  Burial will take place in the Morrison cemetery.

Contributed by Kathy Eaton


George L. Boyd, 100, of 814 E. 33rd Terrace, Topeka, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, may 10, in a Topeka hospital where he was transferred May 4 from a Topeka nursing home. He had been in the nursing home since April, 1977. He was born November 8, 1877 near Irving and spent his early life in the Irving Community in Marshall County. He graduated from Irving High school in 1896. He lived in Home city community for 13 years and later lived between Lillis and Vermillion. He had lived in Topeka since 1960. George was a farmer many years before he retired in 1958. He was a member of the Methodist Church. He was married to Addie McCoy January 8, 1908 in Irving. She passed away June 9, 1958. Mr. and Mrs. Boyd celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary January 8, 1958. George was preceded in death by his wife, his parents, four sisters and four brothers and two great-grandsons. Survivors are tow sons, Paul Boyd, Kansas City, Missouri, and James Boyd, Topeka; a daughter, Mrs. Agnes Osborne, Blue Rapids; two brothers, Lawrence Boyd, Ordway, Colorado and Frank Boyd, Ottunawa, Iowa; thirteen grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; 4 great-great-grandchildren and nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held Saturday, May 13, 1978 at 2:00 p.m. at the United Presbyterian Church, Blue rapids, with the Rev. Craig Rackliffe officiating. Interment was in Antioch Cemetery, Marshall County, Kansas. Arrangements were by Perry Funeral Home. Mrs. Jack Haller and Delbert Kapitan sang "In The Garden" and "Beyond The Sunset" accompanied by Mrs. C. W. Brooks. Casketbearers were Paul Boyd, David Boyd, Boyd Osborne, Duane Osborne, Charles Hazzard and George Boyd. Blue Rapids times - 18 May 1978

Contributed by James A. Nethery


Paul E. boyd, 75, of Kansas City passed away January 17, 1987 at St. Joseph Medical Center in Kansas City. He was born January 20, 1911 near Irving, Kansas, to George and Addie McCoy Boyd. Both parents preceded him in death; also a brother, James boyd of Topeka preceeded him. He was married to Gladys Cooper of Marysville in April 1932. She survives. Also four sons Larry G. Boyd, Overland Park; Paul R. Boyd, Oklahoma city; Edward O. Boyd, Wichita Falls, Texas; and George W. Boyd, Raytonw, Missouri; three daughters Patricia Ratterree, Catharine Dodd and Mary Hobbs all of Kansas City; a sister Agnes Boyd Osborne of Blue rapids; twenty-two grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren and numerous other relatives in this area and beyond. Paul graduated from Irving High School in the class of 1929. He went to Kansas City in 1930 where he worked as a welder for the Darby Corporation for 35 years, retiring in 1970. Services were held Wednesday, January 21st from Carson Blue ridge Chapel. Burial was in Mount Olivet Cemetery at Raytown, Missouri. Six grandsons were pallbearers.
Blue Rapids Times - 29 January 1987

Contributed by James A. Nethery


(Paper not named)

Helen Veronica Brady, 92, 906 Kansas Avenue, Frankfort, Kansas, died Sunday, April 30, 2000, at the Wamego City Hospital.  Mass of Christian Burial was Con-Celebrated by the Pastor, Fr. Bill Bruning, at 10 a.m. Thursday, May 4, 2000, at Annunciation Catholic Church, Frankfort.  Concelebrants were Fr. Meinrad Miller, O.S.B., Saint Benedict's Abbey, Atchison, and Fr. Jude Burbach, O.S.B., Pastor, Saint Joseph's Church, Lillis.  A rosary was recited at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 3 at Annunciation Church.  Burial was in the Brady Lot at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Lillis, Kansas. Readers were Brother John Peto, O.S.B., Saint Benedict's Abbey, Atchison, and Sr. Lillian Harrington, O.S.B., Mount Saint Scholastica Monastery, Atchison.  Granddaughters Anne Louise Brady and Kathleen Narron read the petitions and Grandsons and Granddaughters took up the gifts.  Jane Sedlacek played and sang at the service.  Pallbearers were Frank Bennett, Capt. Richard Brady, USMC, Phil Harrington, John Bennett, Tomas Brady, Gerald Stowell and Daniel Bennett.  Honorary pallbearers were Bernard Brown, Mike Caffrey, Matthew Curry, Allen Jones, Richard Reicherter, John Anderson and Kenneth Slifer.  Memorials were made to the Benedictine Sisters, Atchison, Kansas.  Padden Funeral Chapel was in charge of arrangements. 

Mrs. Brady was employed by the Motor Vehicle Dept. of the State of Kansas in Topeka and the U.S. Government. Bureau of Reclamation, Lincoln, Nebraska, during the 1930s.  After her marriage she was a homemaker.  She was born July 13, 1907, on a farm on Clear Fork in the Irish Creek community of Southeast Marshall County, Kansas, the daughter of Philip and Ellen Cummings Harrington. She was baptized at and was a member of Saint Joseph's Church, Irish Creek, and attended District No. 24 Grade School in Pottowatomie County. She was a boarder and was graduated from the Blaine Benedictine Rural High School, Class of 1926. Thereafter, she was graduated from Strickler Business College, Topeka.  She was a member of Annunciation Catholic Church, Frankfort, and the Altar Society. She was a former member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church and its Altar Society.

She married Frank Brady on Oct. 4, 1941, at St. Joseph's Church, Lillis. They had farmed in the Lillis community their entire married life, moving to Frankfort in 1964. She was preceded in death by her Father in 1960, her Mother in 1966, and by two sisters, Irene Pendergast in 1975, and Regina Stowell in 1992, and a brother, Richard Harrington, in 1961.   Survivors include her husband, Frank Brady, of the home; son, William Brady (Bea), Atchison; daughter, Mary Bennett (Charles), Springfield, Virginia; two brothers, Louis Harrington, Blaine, and John Harrington, Frankfort; nine grandchildren, Anne Louise Brady, Saint Louis, Captain Richard Brady (Jeanne), USMC, Springfield, Virginia, Carole Brady, Chicago, Kathleen Narron (James), Dan Bennett, Ellen Bennett, John Bennett, Frank Bennett, Jane Bennett; and four great-grandsons, Robert, David, Thomas, and Michael Narron, all of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Contributed by William Brady

(From an unnamed Wichita newspaper)


Elizabeth Ann Burnside, daughter of Thomas Burnside and Jane Ruddy Burnside, was born July 24, 1878 at the family homestead in Center Township, Marshall County. Her birthplae was quite near Winifred, Kansas. Except for a period of a few months, she lived all her life in Marshall County.

She was married to Oscar Samuel Brown March 20, 1892. To this union was born four sons, Ray R. of Wichita; W. A. of Port Angeles, Washington; Fred J. of Burrton, Kansas and Winston W. of Shawnee, Kansas

Her husband preceded her in death. She is survived by her four sons, eight grandchildren, fourteen great grandchildren and one great grandchild, one sister, Mrs. Blanche Potter, Marysville, five nieces and eight nephews also survive.

Mrs. Brown passed away at Wichita Friday, March 4, 1966. Funeral services were conducted in the Padden Funeral Chapel Monday morning, March 7 with Rev. C. L. Gifford officiating. Burial was in the Beattie cemetery.


From The Journal, Marshall County Kansas, Sept. 13, 1928 (Note: Not sure if this is all of the newspaper's title, as the title is partially cut off).


Once again the messenger of death has knocked at the door of one of our loved ones and friends. Again we hear the silent tread of those who feel the loss of one whom they loved and honored. Mr. Elliot Anderson Brown set sail for his Heavenly home, at Marysville hospital, at 2:35 P.M., September 6th, 1928, at the age of 66 years, 3 months and 26 days.

Mr. Brown was born May 10, 1862 at Troy, Ill. Here he grew to manhood and he was married to Miss Minerva Broomfield Aug. 27, 1883. The young couple moved to Kansas in 1884, first stopping at Huron. Then in 1887 they moved to Beattie. Since that time he has spent all but the last two years in Beattie and Marysville communities. He moved to St. Louis two years ago last June, but because of sickness he came this spring to the farm of his daughter, Mrs. Carl Kneisteadt, to recover. However instead of getting stronger he became weaker and weaker until the end came, when he left his earthly house to accept that house not made with hands eternal in the heavens.

He is survived by his loving wife, and his three children. Mrs. Carl Kneisteadt of Home, Kansas; Duke D. Brown of Oskaloosa, Kansas and George Brown of St. Louis, Mo.; one brother, Oscar Brown of Beattie, nine grandchildren besides other relatives and friends who will miss his love and affection. He had faith in God for all things. He knew whom he believed and he was resolved that he would keep that which had been committed unto him against that day.

He was a member of the I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W. Lodges of Marysville and of the Methodist Episcopal church of Beattie. He loved his family, all children, and people in general. He was kind, thoughtful, considerate, patient, and good to all especially those of his own house. He was clean in habits, a loving husband, devoted father and helpful neighbor. In his sickness which he knew for at least two months to be his last he was patient and very considerate to his family. He bore his own load, and hoed his own row. He did not wish any of his folks at his bedside when he embarked for the Life Eternal. He wished no sorrow, no weeping, no heart aches, and no heart breaks.


(Paper not named)


Funeral services for Mrs. Minerva Jane Brown, 83, mother of Mrs. Carl Kniesteadt, Home City, who died December 1, 1951, were held Monday afternoon at Padden's Funeral Home, Frankfort, with interment in Beattie Union Cemetery.

Minerva Jane Broomfield was born to Samuel and Sarah Jane Broomfield February 14, 1868, in a log cabin on a homestead, which is now part of Swope Park in Kansas City.

She was a member of the Baptist Church.

She was united in marriage to Elliott Anderson Brown at Sigourney, Iowa, August 27, 1883. Mr. Brown preceded her in death September 6, 1928.

The Browns moved to Huron in Brown County in 1884, and then to Beattie in 1886. Since that time Mrs. Brown has resided in Marshall County.

She is survived by two sons, George W. Brown, Maryland Heights, Missouri, and Duke D. Brown of Council Grove, and one daughter, Mrs. C. W. Kniesteadt, Home City. Eddie, another son, died at the age of four. Also surviving are 9 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.



From the "Beattie Eagle," May 2, 1907

Mrs. Narsissa Brown died at her son Anderson's home south of town last Sunday at 11 a.m. She has been in in ill health for a long time, and within the past few months has been failing fast. On last Friday night she went to sleep and never awoke after that, sleeping peacefully until the end. Miss Narsissa Eaton was born in Washington County, Mo., December 24, 1826 and at the age of 23 was married to W. L. Brown and lived in Illinois until the close of the war, in which her husband was in active service. The family moved to Iowa, where Mr. Brown died after a residence of 17 years. Two years later the family moved to Kansas, where they have since resided.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown was the parents of ten children, five of whom died in infancy. Angeline died at 18 year of age. Mrs. Sarah Gladfelt is buried in the Beattie cemetery and Maggie Foster died at Silver City, N.M.

The remaining two are E. A. and Oscar of this place, who are left to mourn the loss of their mother.

Deceased was converted to the Christian faith at the age of 19 and always lived a consistent Christian life.

The M.W.A. lodge gave a nice wreath of flowers.


(From the Frankfort Index)


Oscar Samuel Brown, age 85 years, three months, and six days, passed away at his home on East Fourth Street in Frankfort Wednesday, January 7th.

The deceased was born at Ottumwa, Iowa, on October 1, 1867. At the age of nine years he moved with his parents to the town of Whatcheer, Iowa and at the age of sixteen the family moved to Marshall County, Kansas where he lived the remainder of his life. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Brown, Frankfort; four sons, Ray Brown of Wichita; Dr. Fred Brown of Burrton, Kans.; Wm. Brown of Port Angeles, Wash.; and winston Brown of Kansas City, Mo.; as well as eight grandchildren, nine great grandchildren; one niece and three nephews; and a number of other relatives who have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.

Funeral services were held at the Padden Funeral Chapel on January 9th, with interment in the Beattie cemetery.

The preceding Brown obituaries were contributed by Dorothy Bailey

Mary Jane Bulmer

The Tampa Tribune,
Wednesday, April 9, 2008,
Metro, page 6. Mary Jane Bulmer, 86 of Tampa, Florida entered into rest April 4, 2008. Born in Marysville, Kansas. She moved to Tampa, Fl. in 1968. Jane graduated from Emporia State Teachers College in Kansas. She loved reading mystery books and playing canasta and bridge with Her Friends of the Cosmopolitan Club. Survivors: Her Son, Gary Bulmer and Wife, Joanne; Daughter, Sandra Epperson and Husband, James; Two GrandChildren and Four Great-GrandChildren. A small Family gathering will take place at a later date. Marsicano-B. Marion Reed-Stowers Funeral Home.


The following comments & explanations are part of the obit.
Dignity Memorial.
   Marysville, Kansas is located in Marshal County. The Black Squirrel is the official town mascot and is protected by law. Seat of Marshal County. Bernie Krug, Mayor. Rick Shain, City Administrator.
    Emporia State Teacher's College, Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas the seat of Lyon County. On Kansas Turnpike, Interstate Highway 35, U.S. Highway 50 & Kansas Highway 99.

(Used with permission. " May God in His infinite mercy grant to Mary Jane's Family and Friends the serenity and peace of mind that can only come from the sure and certain knowledge that their loved one is at last in a safe harbor." Rest in God, Mary Jane.)

Contributed by John B. King

Margaret (Stout) Burnett

From the Blue Rapids Times
Aug. 7, 1890

Margaret J. Stout was born in West Virginia, Oct. 29, 1848. Early in life she moved with her parents to St. Joe, Mo. In 1859 they moved to this neighborhood, settling on the farm where Deacon Beach now lives. On the 9th of May, 1867, she was married to P. S. Burnett. In her girlhood she professed faith in Christ, but did not publicly confess it until 1872, when she united with the Elm Creek Baptist church, and was baptized by Rev. Cloud. About 3 years ago she a letter from the Elm Creek church and joined the Blue Rapids Baptist church, of which she remained a consistent member until Aug. 4, 1890, a few minutes before 11 p.m., when the great head of the church called her home. She told the family during the day that she would go at 11 o'clock that night. She was willing, ready and anxious to go. She leaves a husband and one daughter to mourn her departure.

"Not for the dead in Christ we weep,
Their sorrows are now o'er;
The sea is calm, the tempest past
On that eternal shore"

Funeral from their residence, four miles north-west of Blue Rapids, Aug. 5, at 2 p.m. May the God of all grace comfort the bereaved.

Contributed by Donna Pfitzner


(From the Beattie Journal, July 4, 1940)

Mrs. Tom Burnside passed away on Wednesday, June 26 at Denver, Colorado. Funeral Services were held Friday at Colorado Springs. Interment was there at the side of her husband.

Mrs. Burnside is survived by one son, Glen Burnside and three sisters, Mrs. Sam Bigham, of Beattie; Mrs. Carl King and Mrs. Sam Burnside both of Kansas City.

Mrs. Burnside's maiden name was Belle Root. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Root, who lived here for a number of years during her girlhood. Mrs. Burnside is a sister-in-law of Mrs. Oscar Brown of Beattie.


From Elbert, Colorado newspaper, Friday, August 13, 1933)


Thomas Alfred Burnside died at Beth El Hospital in Colorado Springs Friday morning, August 11, 1933, age 60 years, 5 months and 4 days.

Mr. Burnside came to Elbert County August 1, 1909, and has been active in community and public affairs. He served as County Treasurer for 8 years and was elected County Commissioner in 1932.

He was affiliated with Kiowa Lodge of Masons and member of Kiowa Presbyterian Church.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Belle Burnside, and one son, Glynard A. Burnside. Four brothers John, Samuel, William and Richard Burnside, and three sisters Mrs. Blanche Potter, Mrs. Margaret Barnes, and Mrs. Elizabeth Brown, all of whom survive him, except one brother.

A host of friends assembled at his funeral to pay honor to his memory. Services were held in Colorado Springs Monday, Rev. Denton ifficiating. Interment was also in Colorado Springs.

Contributed by: DorothyBailey


John Howard Carlson, son of August and Mary Carlson, was born June 24, 1902 at Irving, Kansas and passed away December 13, 1980 at the age of 78. His childhood years were spent in Irving. In 1920 he graduatred from Irving High School. Upon graduation he went to California and worked in a ship yard. On July 1, 1932 he was united in marriage to Marjorie McCoy at Westmoreland, Kansas. He was a farmer while near Irving then in 1957 began employment with the A.S.C. and worked until his retirement in 1967. The family moved to Blue Rapids in 1959. He was a member of the St. Mark's Episcopal Church at Blue Rapids. One of his greatest joys was the gathering of the family. He will be sadly missed by his grandchildren who will hold ever dear the memory of a grandfather who loved little children. He was preceded in death by his parents, a son, Gary Howard, and a sister, Margaret Boyd. Survivors include his wife, Marjorie, Blue rapids; four sons, Richard Carlson, Robert Carlson, Topeka; John Carlson, Lamar, Missouri; and Steven Carlson, of Blue Rapids; three daughters, Mrs. Virginia Jenkins and Mrs. Carol Bigham, Blue Rapids and Mrs. Sandra Miller, Frankfort; twenty-one grandchildren and one great grandchild; three brothers, Alfred Carlson, Blue Rapids, Fred of Marion and Victor, Topeka. Funeral services were held on Monday, December 15, 1980 at the St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Blue Rapids with Rev Peder Berdahl, Wamego, officiating. Mrs. Ralph Gallup was organist and Mrs. Everett Mather sang "Beyond the Sunset" and "How Great Thou Are." Pallbearers were Emil Horalek, Marvin Horalek, Donald Winter, Gus Ingerly, Joseph Tenopier and Dale Mayhew. Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery south of Blue Rapids under the direction of Perry Funeral Home. The Blue rapids Times (Kansas) - 25 Dec 1980

Contributed by James A. Nethery


Marjorie Mae McCoy, daughter of John and Julia McCoy, was born December 3, 1911 at Blue rapids, Kansas and passed away November 12, 1981. In 1930 she graduated from Blue Rapids High School. Upon graduation she went to Omaha, Nebraska to study cosmotology. On July 1, 1932 she was united in marriage to John Carlson at Westmoreland, Kansas. The family moved to Blue Rapids in 1959. She worked for Paul Kennedy in the Variety Store and then later for Veda Eckart. She was a member of the St. Mark's Episcopal Church at Blue Rapids, American Legion Auxiliary, and White Way Country Club. She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, John, a son, Gary; and brothers, Tom and John D. McCoy. Survivors include seven children, Richard Carlson of Topeka; Virginia Jenkins of Blue rapids; Sandra Miller of Frankfort; Robert Carlson of Topeka; John Carlson of Lamar, Missouri; Carol Bigham; and Steve Carlson of Blue Rapids; one sister, Geraldine Wagoner of Hemet, California; and twenty-one grandchildren, one great grandchild and numerous nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held on Sunday, November 15, 1981 at the St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Blue Rapids with Rev. Peder Berdahl, Wamego, officiating. Mrs. Ralph Gallup was organist and Mrs. Everett Mather sang "How Great Thou Art" and "In The Garden". Pallbearers were: Maravin Horalek, Donald Boyd, Maurice Boyd, Richard Ham, Cletus Fortier, and Emil Horalek. Honorary pallbearers were: Venton Osborne, Joseph Tenopier, Paul Smerchek, Everett Denton and Melvin Smith. Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery south of Blue Rapids under the direction of Perry Funeral Home. The Blue Rapids Times (Kansas) - 19 November 1981

Contributed by James A. Nethery


A TRIBUTE published in the pages of THE MARYSVILLE ADVOCATE
Marysville, KS. May 17, 1984

Mary Carlson

Entered Into Eternal Rest Thursday, May 10, 1984.

Services were conducted from the United Methodist Church, Axtell, at 2 PM Monday afternoon for Mary E. Carlson. She died May 10 at the Seneca hospital.

The Rev. Paul Seyffer officiated. Two granddaughters, Jeanne Jacobson and Judy Kroeger, sang a duet, accompanied by Lisa Broxterman, organist. Bural was in Rose Hill Cemetery, Axtell.

Casket bearers were Benton Luse, Hollis Winchell, Loyal Shirley, John Porting, Kenneth Bergmann and Robert Porting.

Landreth Thornburg was in charge.

Mary Elizabeth Carlson, 75, daughter of William and Mary Isabelle Tylee Allen, was born on Dec. 27, 1908, at Norton. The family moved to Vermillion when she was eight weeks old. She was baptized at age 9 at the Christian Church, Vermillion. The family moved to Strasburg, Colo., in February 1920.

She married Oscar Carlson of Vliets March 1, 1926, in Denver. They were parents of five children. The Carlsons returned to Kansas and made their home on a farm southwest of Axtell. In 1932 they moved to his home place at Vliets and lived there until Ma rch 1940 when they returned to their farm west of Axtell. In 1948 they purchased a farm south of Axtell and moved there in March 1951. After his death in 1966, she remained on the farm until November 1979 when she moved in Axtell.

She worked at the Axtell school lunch room, Luse Department store and in 1968 she began working for 10 years at Nemaha Valley Hospital, Seneca, as a nurses' aide.

She was a member of the United Methodist Church at Axtell.

She was preceeded in death by her husband on Aug. 24, 1966; her parents, two brothers; one sister; a grandson, Robert Carlson; and a granddaughter, Brenda Carlson.

Survivors include four sons, Eugene Carlson, Ivan Carlson and Jim Carlson, all at Axtell, Elmer Carlson of Yuma, Ariz.,; one daughter, June Alexander, Topeka; two brothers, Wray Allen of Larkspur, Colo., and Albert Allen of Strasburg, Colo.; one sister, Viola Young of Bennett, Colo.; 18 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.


In Loving Memory Of: Oscar "Gene" Carlson
28 December 22, 1926, Axtell, KS - April 11, 2000, Seneca, KS

Funeral Services -Friday April 14, 2000 at 10:30 AM, United Methodist Church Axtell, KS
Officiating - Rev. Dennis Hanna, Father Thomas Dolezal
Music -Lila Alfers - Organist, Holly Brandt - Soloist
Casketbearers - Bernie Sunnenberg, Junior Holthaus, Kim Winchell, Kieran Holthaus, Dennis Murphy, Bob Perry
Interment - Rose Hill Cemetery
Landreth-Popkess Funeral Home, Axtell, KS



May 31, 1903 - August 24, 1966
Memorial Service Axtell Methodist Church
The Rev. William H Winter, Pastor
Music - Mrs. Edward Parli, Mrs. Durrell Harrison, Miss Jeanne Bergmann
Interment - Rose Hill
Casket Bearers: Edward Parli, Earl Bergmann, Benton Luse, Edward Meara, Lyle Steck, Paul Grove
Landreth-Thornburg Service

Contributed by Deb Berends


This community was saddened by the news of the death of Mrs. Clark Carron of Syracuse, Sunday. Mrs. Carron was formerly Mary Frances McCoy of Lillis and was a niece of Mrs. B. W. Forbes. She has visited in Irving many times and has many friends and relatives here. The deceased was 26 years of age. She leaves, besides her husband, three small children, 6, 4, and 2 years of age, also her mother, Mrs. Frank McCoy of Lillis. Funeral services were held in Lillis Tuesday morning.

The Blue Rapids Times (Kansas) - 28 January 1937

Contributed by James A. Nethery


Joe Arline Carter (infant)

The Frankfort Daily Index
Frankfort, Marshall Co., Kansas
Thursday, December 29, 1921
Page 1

Carter Baby Dead.
The tiny 5-month-old daughter of Mrs. Laura Carter died at the family home in the southeast part of town at 2 o'clock this morning. The little one never had been well, and while everything posible was done for her, death was inevitable.

The burial will be at Blaine Friday.

The young mother and other relatives have the sympathy of all in their grief.

( Joe Arline Carter daughter of Elmer and Laura Enzor Carter, formerly of Westmoreland, Pottawatomie, Ks.)

Contributed by S. Brier

Samuel Clark

Irving Leader,
Thursday January 3, 1901.  Front page

Died, Wednesday January 2nd, 1901, Samuel Clark; aged 88 years and eight months.  The deceased was born in County Downs, Ireland, May 12th 1812, and at an early day came to the United States and settled in Iowa, from which state he came to Kansas in 1858, settling in this vicinity where he has ever since resided, so that he may be truely called an "old settler".  For the past year he has been in feeble heealth and the past two or three weeks kept gradually growing weaker until he finally succumbed to the grim reaper.  Services were held at the Presbyterian church this thursday afternoon, being conducted by Rev. Lolge of that church, interment taking place at Greenwood Cemetary where a large number of old acquaintances and his only daughter, Mrs. Wilson, saw the remains laid away in their last resting place.

Contributed by Laurie Pamiza

Thomas Jefferson Clark

Marysville, KS Advocate-Democrat October 11, 1945

T. J. Clark Is Dead
Funeral Held Here Monday for a Retired Farmer

   Funeral services for Thomas Jefferson Clark, aged 89 years, were held Monday afternoon at the Kinsley Chapel, with the Rev. John H. Newton, pastor of the Christian church, officiating. Burial was in Deer Creek cemetery.
    Mr. Clark died Saturday, October 6, 1945, at Beatrice, Nebraska.
    He was born March 11, 1856, on a farm near Elliott, Iowa, and spent his childhood on a farm with his parents. He helped them farm and operate a country store in their log cabin home, a trading post for the area, as Council Bluffs, the closest city, was 35 miles away.
    At the age of 20, Mr. Clark went to Wymore, Nebr., with his parents, and in 1880 he married Mary Mayhew. To them were born eight children, three of whom preceded the father in death. Mrs. Clark died in 1902.
    Mr. Clark spent most of his life farming near Wymore and in Marshall county. He retired in 1930 and spent his last years at his home in Wymore and visiting his children.
    Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Anna Wise, Marysville, and Mrs. Edith McKee, Home City; three sons, Ambrose Clark, Broadwater, Nebr., George Clark, Colorado Springs, Colo., and Harry Clark, Elliott, Iowa; 19 grandchildren; and 15 great grand-children.

Contributed by Russ Czaplewski

Hiram Ivan Collins

The Weekly Review, Jan. 23, 1899

Hiram Ivan Collins, third son of John and Sibbena Collins, was born near Greswell in Pottawatomie county, Iowa, July 22, 1873, and died of consumption January 10, 1899. He removed with his mother to Bigelow in March 1882. He was married to Daisy Skeels, June 23, 1897. He leaves a wife, daughter, mother, two brothers and two sisters to mourn his loss. The funeral was held last Thursday in the Christian church, Rev. Newland officiating. Interment at Barrett.


Daisy (Skeels) Collins

The Weekly Review, Nov. 2, 1900

Daisy Skeels, daughter of D. P. and Lonia Skeels, was born in Republic County, Kansas, September 4, 1878, died October 26, 1900, at the residence of Mr. Thomas Pendergrast, near Barrett, where she had gone for a short visit. She came to Bigelow in March 1897. She was married to Ivan H. Collins June 23, 1897. She was left a widow in January, 1899, and his since lived with her mother in Cleveland township. She leaves a little daughter, a mother, two sisters, four brothers and many friends to mourn her loss. Words of comfort were spoken by the Reverend Eggritt (?) of Frankfort, in the Barrett church. She was laid at rest by the side of her husband in the Barrett Cemetery.

Contributed by Amy Patterson

**Please note several errors in this obituary: "Lonia" Skeels is really "Lena" Skeels. "Ivan H. Collins" should be "Hiram Ivan Collins."


Elsie Collins

Frankfort weekly Review
Fri Oct 9,1896 pg 1

Died. At the family home in Barrett, Sunday night, October 4th, the five year old daughter of Mr and Mrs John Collins. Funeral occured Monday. Dr Brown pronounced the disease, from which the child died diptheria. This is the seond child that Mr. and Mrs. Collins have lost by this disease within the past two weeks.

Note: *Death certificate has death on 10/5. Daughter of John Benjamin Collins and Christina Dorothy Strandell. Grandaughter of John Collins and Sibbena Logsdon.

Contributed by Amy Patterson

Andrew Colton, Sr.

Frankfort Bee, Tuesday, July 10, 1894

Died--at his home in Bigelow, Kan., on July 1st, 1894, of Dropsy, Rhumatism and injuries received in the service of his country, Andrwe Colton Sr.
Comrade Colton was a member of Company I., 15th Kansas Calvary, enlisted in 1861 and served over three years in defence of the old flag. He was a member of Veteran Post No. 330 G.A. R. He was borne in New Yorke Oct. 19, 1817 and was at the time of his death 76 years, 8 months ad 12 days of age. He leaves a wife who has been his companion for 53 years. To them was borne 9 children, 5 sons and 4 daughters, six of which have died, and three--one son and two daughters remain to mourn the loss of a great parent.
Comrade Colton joined the Christian church a short time since and has lived a christian life, and died firm in the faith. The funeral services were conducted by Elder Guy, in the Christian church at Bigelow, on Monday, July 2, at 3 o'clock p.m. and the remains were followed to his final resting place in the Antioch cemetery by a large number of friends of the family, where the body of our deceased Comrade was returned to mother earth.
The hand that once grasped the saber in defence of our country, is now cold in death. Our comrade has crossed the river and gone to meet his comrades gone before, on the great parade grounds of heaven, where he will receive his star and crown, and forever with the great Captain, Jesus Christ, our Lord who is reaching out with a loving hand to the old boys and welcoming them home.


Andrew Myron Colton

(No newspaper information given)

Andrew M. Colton was born near Council Bluffs, Iowa, Jan. 18, 1847 and died at the family home in Bigelow, Kansas April 9, 1920. The deceased came to Kansas in 1859, and to Marshall County in 1874, making his home in Bigelow, Ks.

He was a veteran of the Civil War, serving in the 44th Missouri Vol. Infantry, and was wounded during the battle of Franklin, Tenn. He was also captured and spent four months in a southern prison.

On March 15, 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Viola Howell. To this union was born four girls and five boys. One girl and two boys died in infancy, while one daughter Bessie Hale died about twenty-five years ago.

He was a consistent member of Christs Church for fifty years. He is survived by his wife and the following children: Mrs. Jessie Hale of Bigelow, Kansas, Mrs. T. A. Snook of Longford, Kansas, Emery and Rex Colton of Fayette, Idaho. All the children were at his bedside when the end came. One sister and one brother live in Agulire, Colorado. The funeral services were held at the Bigelow Chiristian Church at 11:00 o'clock Sunday morning, April 11th, with the burial in the Antioch cemetery.


Viola Colton (Howell)

(No newspaper information give, death date was Feb. 29, 1932)

Mrs. Viola Colton, a resident of the Bigelow neighborhood died at her home in Bigelow at 3:00 o'clock yesterday morning, at the age of 78 years, ten months, and ten days. She spent most of her life in Marshall Co. and has a host of friends who will regret to learn of her passing. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Jessie Hale of Bigelow, Kansas and Mrs. Lewarda Snook of Washington state, and three sons, Rex Colton of Bigelow, Ks., Emery Colton of Topeka, Ks. And H.R. Colton of Fayette, Idaho.

Funeral servies will be held at the Christian Church in Bigelow this afternoon at 2:30 and burial in the Antioch cemetery.

Contributed by Donna Brockish



Jeff Cox, one of the old settlers on Fawn Creek,Committed suicide last Saturday.Mr. Cox's family have been fearful for some time that he might take his own life and had been on the watch to prevent him from doing so, if possible. On Saturday, he took a bottle of Carbolic Acid, that had been left in the chicken house, where it had been used in spraying for mites, and he drank the contents. His wife saw something was wrong as soon as he came from the chicken house and she assisted him into the house and onto the bed, where he died in a very few moments,after entering the house.....Funeral services were held from the house on Monday (Aug 26,1907). The bereaved family certainly have the sympathy of all their friends, in this second affliction, which has come upon them in so short a time.....(The first affliction being the suicide of James R. COX, the eldest son of Jeff COX.)

The Blue Rapids Times, August 29, 1907

Contributed by George & Karolyn Reimann

Mary Elizabeth (Moore) Cox

Waterville Kansas Telegraph-June 23, 1922, page 5

Mary Elizabeth (Moore) Cox,was born in Taylor County near Greenburg Kentucky, March 8, 1843 and died at her home in Waterville on June 18, 1922, aged 79yrs. 3mo. 10 days. At the age of 12 she moved with her parents to Jackson Co. Mo. where they resided until the fall of 1859, when they moved to Marshall Co Ks. On Dec 29, 1859, she was married to Jefferson Cox, who died Aug. 24, 1907. In the spring of 1860, they homesteaded 2 1/2 mi SE of Waterville, where she lived until 1909, when she moved to Waterville, where she has since resided. To this union was born 10 children, 3 of whom preceded her in death, Samuel F-Jan 28,1888; Minnie Oswalt-Feb 5, 1905; James R-Aug 6,1907. Survived by, Mrs W.Y.Brown of Barneston, Ne; Mrs. F. O. Trumble of Broughton, Ks; Mrs Delia A Clark of Atkinson, Ill; Mrs. R A Youngeberg of Waterville, Ks; John R of Downs, Ks; Charles E of Greenleaf, Ks & Florence E of the home at Waterville. Rev. M.A. Good of Methodist Episcopal Church. Burial at Riverside Cemetery, north of Waterville, Kansas

Contributed by George & Karolyn Reimann

Florence Ruth (THOMAS) CRANE

Florence Ruth (THOMAS) CRANE died 1 Sep 1957 in Wathena, Doniphan, KS. Buried in Marysville Cemetery, Marysville, Marshall, KS. Obituary typed as written:


Mrs. R.W. CRANE, 73, died unexpectedly Monday morning at 11:20 at her home. She had suffered with high blood pressure for sometime, but her condition wasn't serious until she had a cerebral hemorrhage a few hours before her death.

Mrs. CRANE was born at Home, and had live here for 32 years. She was a member of First Baptist church and Rebekah lodge. She is survived by two sons, Willard of Long Beach, Cal. and Howard of Wathena; a sister, Nannie THOMAS of Grand Junction, Col., and a granddaughter.

Rev. James BURGESS conducted services at the Baptist church this (Thursday) morning. Musicians were Mrs. Kenneth MILLER and Mrs. P. F. DUBACH.

Pallbearers were Frank MADDORK and Andrew GEGG of St. Jo and Gordon LIEFFRING, John ROLL, Elbert ESHBAUGH and Ed STEES. Burial at Marysville with arrangements by Harman's.

Contributed by Contributed by Dianne Richards


Charles CREVIER died at his home eight miles north west of Frankfort Wednesday, March 21st, 1894, at 4:30 p.m., aged 83 years, 7 months and 21 days. Deceased leaves ten children to mourn the loss of a kind father. His wife and four daughters having preceded him to the better land. He was born at Montreal Canada, and at the age of eighteen left Canada for the United States, where he engaged as engineer on the Mississippi, Ohio, and Missouri rivers, for four years. From there he went to the Rocky Mountains, as an express carrier and a trapper for sixteen years. In the fall of 1848 he returned to St. Louis, Mo., and in the spring of 1849 went overland to California, where he traveled as a gold hunter for two years. In 1851 he left California and sailed around by the Isthmus of Panama and returned to St. Louis, Mo., where in the spring of 1852 he was married to Miss Thersie MARCOTT, and went by boat to St. Joe, Mo., where they made their home till 1854 when the Mo. river washed his property away and he moved into Doniphan County, Kansas, and resided there 18 years, when he sold his farm and moved to Marshall county eight miles northwest of Frankfort where he has lived the past 22 years, an honored and respected citizen, a kind and loving father.

30 March 1894 - Frankfort Bee



DIED:--Of consumption at her home about seven miles west of this city on the morning of the 5th instant, Mrs. Thersie CREVIER, and old, loved and respected citizen. Deceased was about 54 years of age at her death; she came to this vicinity from Donaphan (sic) county Kansas about sixteen years ago, and during her stay among us gained for herself a large circle of adoring friends who now deeply mourn her loss. Her illness was of a nature that is lingering and during all the time that she was sick, almsot a year, she bore her sufferings, which were at times keen and intense, with patience and humility and looked foward (sic) with a smile of pleasure to the hour of her deliverence. She was a zealous and devoted member of the Catholic faith and on Friday the 7th her remains were conveyed to the Catholic Church accompanied by a large number of friends and relatives and from there to the cemetery her last resting place. She leaves a husband and several children to mourn her loss and they have in their sad bereavements the sympathy of the whole community. The husband and children take this opportunity to extend their heartfelt gratitude and thankfulness to those dear friends who so kindly assisted them in their trouble and sorrow.

14 January 1887, Frankfort Sentinel

Contributed by Anna Wilhelm


Blue Rapids (KS) Times-
about Jan 30-Feb5, 1908

Daniel R Davis was born in Indiana, August 30, 1834, and died Jan. 29, 1908. at the age of 73 years, 4 months, and 29 days: he was married to Sarah M. Soward, April 15, 1854 and to them was born nine children, all of whom survive their father as well as their aged mother. The deceased and his wife both united with the Baptist church in 1855. They came to Kansas in 1869 and settled in Nemaha County, coming to Marshal County in 1884. They have resided in Blue Rapids the past 24 years. Here he has lived a blamless life, harming no one, esteemed and respected by all his neighbors, all of
whom share in the great sorrow and bereavement of his loving and devoted wife and children, who morn him as only a loving wife and children can morn and affectionate and loving father.



Blue Rapids (KS) Times-
about June 9-14.

Hanna Mariah Soward (AKA Sarah) was born in Green county Indiana on the 3rd day of February 1834 , and died at Blue Rapids, Kansas, June 8th, 1923,-at the age of eighty-nine years, four months and five days. On April 15th, 1854, she was united in marriage to Daniel R. Davis. To this union were born nine children; three, William, George, and Mrs. Chas. Scott, and her husband proceeded her in death. The deceased leaves to mourn her death three sons: Andrew of Scandia, Kansas;
Samuel of Tahlequah, Oklahoma; and Charles of Blue Rapids, Kansas: Three daughters: Mrs. J. W Brock of Falls City, Nebraska; Mrs William Cox of Blue Rapids , Kansas; and Mrs. J. H. Hunt of Bigelow, Kansas; besides many grandchildren and great grand-children, together with a host of friends. In 1869 they moved from Indiana to Nemaha county, and in1884 to Marshall county, where she spent the rest of her days. ,In. 1855 she united with the Baptist church in which she had held her membership till the Lord called her to her reward. As a neighbor she was loved and held In high esteem by all who knew her, always pleasant and willing to serve where ever help was needed. As a mother, words cannot express her devotion to those God had entrusted to her. Always holding them up in the arms of prayer. Dead but yet & live, Gone, but ever present,
Lingering in the memories while her soul rests with God on high. Interment was made in Prospect Hill Cemetery. Rev. R. J. Zeidler assisted by a choir consisting of Mr. and Mrs Avis. Mrs. Marvin, conducted the service

Card of Thanks.
We wish to take this means of thanking our many friends who Were so kind 'to us during our late bereavement and specially thank the donors of the beautiful floral arrangements.
Mr and Mrs W.H. Cox
Mr and Mrs Char. Davis
Mr and Mrs John Hunt
Mr and Mrs Sam Davis

Contributed by Paul Davis


Marysville Advocate,
Aug 26, 1999.

Mary Ellen Davis, 96, died Tuesday August 24, 1999 at CMH Long Term Care. [She was born September 1, 1902, daughter of Charles Wuester and Nora E. Madden Wuester; graduate of Emporia State Teacher's College; married Ephrim Davis in Coeur D'Arlene, Idaho in 1940's or 50's; taught school in Kansas and Chelan, Washington.  Her husband Eph and all of her siblings predeceased her. She had no children.  She is survived only by great nephew, Charles Wuester
and great niece, Terry Wuester Milne.  Charles was with her and held her hand as she died of liver failure].
    Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Saturday at St. Malachy's Catholic Church, Beattie.  Rosary will be at 7 p.m. Friday at St. Malachy's. Burial will be at St. Patrick's Cemetary, Beattie [where her parents, infant sister, and brothers Glen Wuester and Tom Wuester, as well as sister Pauline Bell are buried; her brother Terry Wuester is buried in Beattie Union Cemetary.]
    Visitation will be from 10:a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at Kinsley Mortuary.

Contributed by Terry Wuester Milne


Julia Smith McCoy Dawkins, 81, passed away July 14, 1973 in Independence, Oregon. She was the daughter of Mahlon and Mary Smith, born on July 29, 1890 in Blue Rapids, Kansas. She was married to John McCoy on June 10, 1910. He passed away December of 1916. To this union was born four children. She was married July 3, 1925 to James Dawkins Mrs. Dawkins lived in Blue Rapids vicinity until moving to Indepdence, Oregon in 1945. She was a member of Eastern Star and Re-Organized Church of Jesus Christ, Latter-Day Saints. She was preceded in death by her parents, 3 sisters, 2 brothers, her husbands, and two sons, Thomas A., and John D., McCoy. Surviving are daughters Geraldine Wagoner, Independence, Oregon; and Marjorie Carlson, Blue Rapids; her brother, Fred Smith, Blue Rapids; 16 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren. Funeral services were conducted on Wednesday, Jul 18, 1973 at 2 p.m. at the Youngberg funeral home in Waterville, Kansas with Rev. William H. Winter officiating. Mrs. Jack Haller and Mrs. Everett Mather sang "In The Garden" and "How Great Thou Art". Mrs. C. H. Youngberg presided at the piano. Casket bearers were grandsons, Richard Carlson, Robert Carlson, John Carlson, Gary Carlson, Steve Carlson , and nephew, Donald Smith. Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery near Blue Rapids. The Blue Rapids Times (Kansas) - 15 July 1973

Contributed by James A. Nethery

Nicholas Dier

Frankfort, Kansas newspaper
May 19, 1903

Nicholas Dier Died Tuesday Morning

    Mr. Dier, was one of the most kind hearted men, died Tuesday morning at the home of his nephew, Frank Klein, near Bigelow after weeks of intense suffering caused from dropsy and other diseases. The burial took place in the Frankfort cemetery Wednesday under auspices of the old soldiers. He was 72 years of age.
    Mr. Dier was a soldier in the Civil War and was a good and true protector of the flag that represented Freedom. His service in the war was largely if not wholly responsible for the disease which finally caused his death.

    Mr. Dier has been a resident of this city most of the time for the past ten years, owning property here and at the time of his death owned a small residence property in the north part of the city and where he lived, going out to the Klein's home some weeks ago after being cared for by Mrs. Frank Klein, he wasn't able to return to his own home.

Contributed by Donna Brockish

Grace Williams Elder

Funeral services were held for Grace Williams Elder at the United Methodist Church in Frankfort, Kansas on Sunday, December 15, 1968 with the Reverend Ronald Bumstead officiating.
Grace Williams Elder, daughter of John C. and Katie Williams, was born March 8, 1888 in Furnas County, Nebraska near Stamford. She passed away December 12, 1968 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Clifford Overbaugh and son-in-law at Frankfort, Kansas, at the age of 80 years, nine months and four days.
On April 25, 1906, at Beaver City, Nebraska, she was united in marriage to Charles Wesley Elder of Almena, Kansas. After residing on a farm for two years near Beaver City, the couple moved to Burlington, Colorado where they homesteaded and lived ten years. While in Colorado, two children, Lois and Merlin were born to bless their happy home.
In 1919, the family moved to Marysville, Kansas, located in Center Township, maintaining their home there until Mr. Elder's death in 1954. Since that time, Mrs. Elder has lived in Frankford, Kansas with her daughter, Lois, and son-in-law, Clifford.
Grace, a member of the United Methodist Church in Frankfort, accepted Christ as her personal Savior early in life.
She is survived by one daughter, Lois and son-in-law, Clifford Overbaugh, Frankfort, Kansas; her son Merlin, and daughter-in-law, Frances Elder, Topeka, Kansas; one grandson, Kenneth Elder, his wife Nelda, and one great grandson, Stephen Elder of Marysville, Kansas; four brothers, Gilbert and Mearl Williams of Stamford, Nebraska; Joe Williams of Fort Collins, Colorado; Ervin Williams of Springvielle, Utah; a number of cousins, nephews and nieces.
Mrs. Doyle Black, Wichita, Kansas, rendered the beautiful hymns "Beyond the Sunset" and "How Great Thou Art," accompanied at the organ by Mrs. Glen Forgy, Frankfort, Kansas.
Casket bearers were Sam Easton, Winifred,Kansas; Fred Millenbruch, Lawrence Slade and Matt Barnes of Frankfort, Kansas; Russell Jacques, Marysville, Kansas and Raymond Pillard of Blue Rapids, Kansas.
Burial was in the Frankfort Cemetery, with the Padden Funeral Home conducting the services.

(Name of newspaper not given in submission)

Contributed by Kay Fleming


E.  R. Fairchild was born November, 6, 1843, at Swanton, Lucas County, Ohio, and departed this life October 23, 1921, at his home in Barrett, Kansas, being 78 years of age. He came to Marshall county in 1858, and has lived ever ever since. On October 15, 1871, as married to Mary C Prickett (should be Pickett). To. them twelve children was born,two dying in infancy,. He had forty grandchildren and four great grand children. All of his children, but one son, were at his bedsideduring
the last illness. .
   He served his country during civil War, entering the service as a private on the 29th of August, 1862' into Co. G. 13th Kansas Vol. Infantry, and served two years ten months and seventeen days, being honorably discharged, in June, 1865. Hetook part in,three battles, of Cains Hill, Prairie grove  and Cooper's raid, Arkansas, being wounded at PrairieGrove, Dec.7, 1862. He was a member of Henderson Post No.. 3, G. A. R of    Frankfort, .and also of the Methodist church in Barrett He will be  greatly missed among his,' friends to whom he was affectionately known as  E. R..
' The funeral was held from the Barrett church, Monday afternoon, the Relief Corps being guard of honor . Henderson Post, G.A.R. put on their beautiful ritual service, paying tribute to their fallen comrade. After, this the Rev. E. H. Knepp took charge and said in part: "We scarce appreciate the debt which we of this generation owe to the early pioneers of Kansas; men and women who came when there was nothing here, scarcely a prospect who had to make everything that makes for comfort, coming here, not for gain, but to help make Kansas free soil and part of a free nation, standing for freedom and liberty, when such a stand was worth as much as a man life. And to the men, the youth of the 60's who heard the call for the nation's distress,a and answered it., placing their life upon the nation's altar, saying, take it all if need be, that the nation may live. To these we owe our free nation, the most glorious upon which the sun ever shown: our debt to them can never be paid. Their rank are thinning rapidly: soon the last member of the Grand Army of the Republic will have answered the roll call on the other side, but we will keep green their memory and appreciate their sacrifice and service so long as the nation endures, and may the eventide of their lives be bright , and the sunset here be the dawning of the day that is eternal, the entering into the life where there is no war, no sickness, where nothing ever grows old, and where death, never come. The question of the ages has been, "If a man dies shall he live again:" The answer comes from two sources, nature and revelation, both giving an affirmative answer. We lay our dead away, hope of life beyond the tomb: and the eventide, were with the day to we gather our garments,round us and lay down to the long sleep with faith that the Christ, who conquered death and with whom our life here has been linked by faith, will waken us in the morning of the a New Day.

Contributed by
Lynn Smith


Blue Rapids Times, Blue Rapids, Kansas  Sept. 1984

Jack Eugene Fincham, Blue Rapids, passed away Tuesday September 25, 1984 at the Community Memorial Hospital in Marysville, Kansas at the age of 79. He had bee in failing health for several years.
   Jack was born September 3, 1905 at Blue Rapids, Kansas the son of James and Jessie Eva Smith Fincham, and lived all of his life on the family farm east of Blue Rapids.
   He married Myrtle Esther Sutton on August 12, 1927 and to this union were born five children; one son and two sets of twin daughters.
   Jack was not only a farmer but spent a number of years working at the Winifred Elevator (Winifred, KS) prior to his retirement.  After retirement, he assisted his wife, Myrtle, with her business, Fincham Ceramics, which was established in their home and then relocated in the business district of Blue Rapids.
   He was a member of the Blue Rapids Methodist Church and was an active member of the IOOF Lodge of Blue Rapids for many years.
   Several years of his life were devoted to the care of his wife prior to her death on Dec. 7, 1978  and to his daughter, Louise I. who preceded her mother in death on January 8, 1972.
   In his younger years he and his father raised and trained greyhounds for racing.  He was an avid baseball fan and in his youth, played baseball and really enjoyed his role as manager and coach of his twin daughters' softball team.He loved the outdoors and particularly enjoyed hunting and fishing with his children and grandchildren.
   Jack is survived by one son, Arthur Eugene of Blue Rapids and three daughters, Lois I. Moehlman and Lola J. Thompson of Wichita and Lova H. Kraft, Abilene;  fifteen grandchildren, twelve great-grandchildren and one sister, Thelma Wempe, Sabetha, Ks.
   Preceding him in death were his wife, Myrtle, his daughter Louise, and his brothers, Frederick Fincham, Arthur Fincham, Homer Foreman, and Russell Fincham.
   Funeral services were held Friday, Sept 28 at the United Methodist Church in Blue Rapids with Rev. Craig Rackliffe officiating.   Organist was Mrs. Luree Gallup and vocalist, Dan Moses, sang "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art".
  Pallbearers were grandsons; Jeb Fincham, Steve Kraft, Bret Thompson, Gunny Wedekind, Scott Wedekind, and Randall Wedekind.
  Interment was in Prospect Hill cemetery with arrangements by Perry Funeral Home of Blue Rapids.



James Fincham, first son of Wm. and Mary Cobb Fincham, was born in Attleborough, England, June 17, 1869 and passed away at Concordia Hospital November 5, 1933 at the age of 64 years, 4 months, and 19 days. He came to Marshall County with his parents in 1876 and grew to manhood on the farm east of Blue Rapids.
   Mr. Fincham was married to Miss Lily May Talbot on November 25, 1891, and settled on a farm in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood, near the present modern home of the family.  To this union were born four children; Clarence and Ethel, both of whom passed away in infancy; Arthru B. who died January 1, 1916 at the age of 20 years and Fred A. of Blue Rapids.  Mrs. Fincham died Nov. 9, 1897.
   On January 29, 1900 Mr. Fincham married Mrs. Jessie Smith Foreman.  To this union were born three children, who with their mother survive.
   The surviving children are Fred A., Russell R., Jack E. Fincham and Homer N. Foreman, all of Blue Rapids, and Mrs. Thelma Wempe of Sabetha.  He is also survived by eleven grandchildren; five brothers; William, Isaac, Thomas, Stephen, and
Richard; six sisters, Mrs. Sarah Monteith, Mrs. Margaret Ewing, Mrs. Alice Farrar, and Mrs. Kate Shaw, all of Blue Rapids,; Mrs. Bessie Wing of Mesa, Ariz., and Mrs. Gertrude Cook, Milford, Utah, together with a large number of other
relatives and friends.
   Mr. Fincham was christened in the Established Church of England and lived a consistent Christian life as a kind and loving husband and father, a faithful friend, and worthy advisor to many.  His right doing, and a fairness in all his dealings will long live in the hearts of those who knew him best.  He was a member of the Blue Valley Lodge No. 112, A.F.&A.M.
   Funeral services were held at the Methodist Episcopal Church November 7 at 2:30 p.m., conducted by J. W. Wright.  Music was furnished by Mrs. Carl Johnson, Mrs. Frank Marvin, and W. W. Coulter with Miss Helen Smith at the piano.
   Interment was made in the family plot in Prospect Hill cemetery with Masonic services.



Marysville Democrat  ---

    Died in this city at Dr. Wilson's Infirmary, on Nov. 9th, 1897 at 8 o'clock p.m., Mrs. Lillie Fincham in the 22nd year of her age.  The funeral services will be held at the residence of her father, Jack Talbot, three miles north west of Marysville, tomorrow at 10 o'clock a.m. and the remains will be interred in Deer Creek cemetery.
   Deceased had been suffering for the past five or six years from what is termed, by the medical fraternity, ovarian cyst and for a long time been under the medical care of Dr. Fillmore, Blue Rapids, and everything that could be done by medical skill to remove suffering and remove the cause was done, but some two months after the birth of her infant child, an operation became necessary to save her life, and her attending physician, Dr. Fillmore, and her husband came with her to Dr. Wilson's infiirmary for that purpose.  In addition to her internal suffering, she had been for several months suffering from heart trouble and great difficulty in breathing and nervous debility, and it was feared that she would not be able to withstand the operation, but it seemed to be the only hope for life,  and on Monday at noon the operation was performed by Doctor Wilson, in the
presence of Dr. Fillmore of Blue Rapids, Drs. Edwards, Scamon, and Hatfield of Marysville, Drs. Harris and Ham of Beattie, and Dr. Calman of Oketo, some of whom we are informed assisted but her physical condition was not sufficient to endure the operation and in about 38 hours after, death came to her relief.
   She leaves a husband and two children, the youngest about 10 weeks old, to mourn their loss.  The family have the sympathy of the whole community in this their sad bereavement.



The Blue Rapids Times, Blue Rapids, Marshall County,
Kansas, Thursday, October 31, 1957


   Jessie Eva Smith, daughter of James and Katherine Bailey Smith, was born in Auburn, Nebraska, May 21, 1876 and passed away on October 25, 1957 at the home of her niece, Mrs. Ethel Neal, in Blue Rapids, Kansas, at the age of 81 years, 5 months, and 4 days.
   She was married on August 9, 1893 to John Fredrick Foreman at Fairbury, Nebr., and to this union two children, a daughter, LaVerne, who passed away in infancy, and a son, Homer N. were born.  The husband and father passed away on March 2, 1896 at the family home in Coffeyville, Kansas, and for the next 18 months the widow and little son lived in Grand Junction, Colo., later returning to make their home with her parents in Irving, Kansas until her marriage on January 29, 1900 to James Fincham and they made their home on the farm east of Blue Rapids until Mr. Fincham's death on November 5, 1933.   Since that time she has made her  home in Blue Rapids, except for four years which was spent in the home of her son, Homer Foreman, at Manhattan, Kansas.  For the past four years she has lived at both the homes of Mrs. Neal and her
son, Jack, where she has been tenderly cared for during her last illness.
   Mrs. Fincham was a devoted wife, and a kind and loving mother to her two step-sons, Arthur Fincham, who passed away in 1916, and Fred Fincham, who passed away in August of this year.
   Mr. and Mrs. Fincham became the parents of three children; Mrs. Thelma Wempe, Russell R., and Jack E.; Russell passed away July 23, 1950.
   She is survived by one sister, Mrs. C. A. McLaughlin of Beattie, Kans.; her three children, Homer N. Foreman, Manhattan, Kans.; Mrs. Thelma Wempe, Sabetha, Kans.; and Jack E. Fincham, Blue Rapids;  also by seventeen grandchildren, eighteen great-grandchildren, and other relatives.
   She was preceded in death by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Smith, one sister, Mrs. R. L. Weeks; and one
brother, Wm. Smith, besides those before mentioned.
   Mrs. Fincham became a member of the Methodist Church when a young girl and has held her membershihp through her entire life time.  Her favorite 23rd Psalm being her comfort and inspiration.  She was a great home lover, finding her chief joy in her grandchildren and great-grand children and making herself beloved by them.  She will be greatly missed by her family and many friends but we are thankful to have had her among us for so many precious years.
   Funeral services were conducted October 28th from the Methodist Church with Rev. T. F. Rudisill officiating and interment was in Prospect Hill cemetery with Perry Funeral Services in charge.   Singers were Mrs. Dorothy Johnston and Mrs. Pansy Jones with Mrs. Wilbur Paige at the organ.
   Pallbearers were Ray Arens, Charles Moser, Glenn DeVault, Erwin Bigham, and Audrian Spurnagle.



Blue Rapids Times, Blue Rapids, Ms.Co., Kansas
Thursday, Dec. 14, 1978

Myrtle Esther Sutton was born November 6, 1907, on a farm north of Blue Rapids, Kansas.  she was the oldest of five children born to Bert Earl and Hattie Boyington Sutton.  She passed away at the age of 71 at Community Memorial Hospital, Marysville, Kansas on Thursday, December 7, 1978 after a six and one-half year bout with cancer.
   Myrtle spent all of her life in Blue Rapids and graduated from Blue Rapids High School in 1926.  She taught at Fairview School, district 27, east of Blue Rapids for two terms.  On August 12, 1927, she was united in marriage to Jack E. Fincham.  they made their home on the family farm east of Blue Rapids,where they were blessed with five children; one son, Arthur
E. Fincham of Blue Rapids; two sets of twin daughters, Louise I. Fincham, who preceded her mother in death on January 8,  1972 and Lois I Moehlman, Wichita, Kansas; Lova H. Kraft of Marysville, Kansas and Lola J. Thompson of Wichita, Kansas.  Jack and Myrtle celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary on August 12, 1978.
   Fifteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren will miss their grandmother's gentle touch, her personally hand made gifts, her warm and fragrant kitachen, her delightful sense of humor, her warm smile and her never-ending love.
   Also surviving are one sister, Bernice Hulsey  of Denver, Colorado and three brothers, Roy, Ralph, and Floyd Sutton of Blue Rapids.
   When her family was young, the major part of her time was devoted to being a wife and mother.  Many hours were spent in gardening, canning, and homemaking.  A welcome break in her routine was the fellowship she enjoyed while participating in community acitivites.  As a member of the Methodist Church, she served as Sunday School teacher and was active in WSCS.  She pursued and was successful in a sales career for several years before beginning her hobbies in Arts and Crafts.
   Her God-given talents aided by her studies at KSU awarded her many honors of accomplishment in painting, drawing, ceramics, and pottery.  Her sincere desire to share her knowledge inspired her to provide classes in ceramics. Her hobby expanded into the Fincham Ceramic Shop with the support of her husband and family.  One of the highlights of her life was being certified by the Veterans Administration as an instructor to teach her grandson, a disabled Veteran of Viet Nam, the art of pottery making.
   Funeral services were held at the United Methodist Church, Blue Rapids, Kansas, Saturday, December 9, 1978 at  2:00 p.m. with Rev. Wayne Newlin officiating. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Bigham sang "In the Garden" accompanied by Mrs. C. W.
   Casket bearers were Steve Kraft, Mike Kraft, Jeb Fincham, Bret Thompson, Tracy Wedekind, and Gunny Wedekind .(all grandsons of Myrtle Fincham)
   Interment was in the Prospect Hill cemetery, Blue Rapids, Kansas with arrangements by Perry Funeral Home.

Contributed by
Lova Fincham Kraft

Edward Finley

Blue Rapids Times
10 September 1885 p. 3

The sad news of the death of Edward Finley, by drowning, reached us yesterday afternoon. As near as we can learn Edward was working in the broom corn on the Vermillion, and in some way was downed in that stream on Tuesday and at last accounts his body had not been found. He was the oldest son of Mr. J. C. Finley, and a brother of Miss Olive Finley, the teacher of the Primary department of our school.


Death of Mr. J. C. Finley

Blue Rapids Times
21 December 1911 p. 4

   A telegram received by S. F. Paul on Saturday announced the death of Mr. J. C. Finley, one of the former residents of this community, at Sycamore, Illinois. The remains were brought to Blue Rapids for burial, arriving Tuesday afternoon and being accompanied by Miss Eleanor Finley, Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Finley and son, Miss Eva Finley and Harry Finley. The following old neighbors of the deceased--S. F. Paul, A. Borck, Chas. Drennan, H. N. Danheim, A. W. Arnott and H. S. Beardsley--acted as pall bearers, and the remains were taken to Fairmont Cemetery for interment in the family lot. A short service was conducted at the grave by Rev. Daniels.
    John C[r]osby Finley was born in Delaware County, Ohio, April 10, 1830, where he spent the early part of his life. In 1843 with his parents he moved to Ohio Grove, near Sycamore, Ill., where he grew to man- hood. Nov. 27, 1856, he married Mary B. Snow. To this union 11 children were born, of whom five now remain: Eleanor, Harry, Floyd, and Olive F. Singleton, of Chicago, and Eva of Sycamore.
    In his early manhood he conducted a bookstore in his own hometown for 18 or 20 years. In 1883 he moved to a farm in Marshall county, Kansas, the west line, one year later to a farm south of Blue Rapids, where he lived three years, and in 1887 to a farm east of blue Rapids, where he lived until the death of Mrs. Finley in 1905, moving to Chicago for a short time, then he moved back to Sycamore, where he lived until his death, Dec. 16, 1911. He was an upright man of strong character, beloved by neighbors and friends to whom his memory is dear.


Blue Rapids Journal
21 December 1911 p. 1 col. 3


   The remains of J. C. Finley arrived from Sycamore, Ill., on the afternoon Missouri Pacific train yesterday and funeral services were conducted by Rev. Daniels and interment was made in Fairmont Cemetery.
    John Crosby Finley was born in Delaware Co. Ohio, April 10, 1830, where he spent the early part of his life. In 1843 he with his father's family moved to Ohio Grove near Sycamore, Ill., where he grew to manhood and went into business, running a book store for eighteen or twenty years.
    On Nov. 27, 1856 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Snow and to this union were born eleven children, five of whom are living. Miss E. J., H. S., Floyd and Mrs. Olive Singleton of Chicago and miss Eva Finley of Sycamore, Ill.
    In 1883 he moved with his family to Washington county, Kansas, and a few years later to the vicinity of Blue Rapids, where he lived till the death of his wife in 1905. In 1906 he moved to Chicago and thence back to his old home in Sycamore, Ill., where he spent the remainder of his life with his youngest daughter, Miss Eva Finley, passing away Dec. 16, 1911, after a long illness.
    He was an upright man of strong convictions beloved by neighbors and friends to whom his memory is dear.


Mrs. J. C. Finley

Blue Rapids Times
31 August 1905 p. 8

   Mrs. J. C. Finley, after an illness of about a week, died at her home east of town on Monday evening at eight o'clock. Arrangements have been made for the funeral services to be held at the Methodist church this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. The absent children will be home for the funeral, with the exception of Mrs. Singleton. Mrs. Mary B. Snow Finley was born at Sodus, Wayne county, New York, Nov. 27, 1835. She was married at Sycamore Nov. 27, 1856, to John C. Finley, who with the following six children survive her: Miss Eleanor and Floyd, of Chicago; Leonard of Wymore, Nebr.; Mrs. Olive Singleton of Wilmette, and Harry and Eva of Blue Rapids. The interment will be in Fairmont cemetery.
    Deceased was a Christian woman, kind, considerate and unselfish throughout her life, whose memory will be cherished by the bereaved husband and children.


Len Finley

Blue Rapids Times
26 May 1908 p.3

A Sad Accident
   A message was received yesterday from Wymore by Chas. Drennan conveying the sad news of the death Sunday of Len Finley, and that the remains would arrive in Blue Rapids at 11 o'clock this forenoon for burial. Mr. Finley is a son of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Finley and has for many years been an engineer on the Burlington. He was killed by being run over, but we are unable to give any details at this time.
    On account of the rain, there was a very small attendance at the Memorial Sunday services, but those who were present were well repaid for going by the very excellent sermon preached by Rev. Peabody. Good music was furnished by a choir under the leadership of G. W. Heathman and composed of Mrs. Loomis, Mrs. Warren, Miss Alkire, Mr. Sheldon and Mr. Robinson, with Miss Helen Sith as pianist. A solo was also sung very sweetly by Miss Alkire. The program for Saturday will appear in Thursday's Times.

Blue Rapids Times
28 May 1908 p. 3

Funeral of Len Finley
   The remains of Mr. Len Finley were brought here for burial yesterday from his late home at Wymore, where funeral services were held the day before. The burial was in Fairmont Cemetery, where also are buried the mother and a brother of the deceased. Pall bearers from Wymore accompanied the sorrowing relatives. The remains were followed to their final resting place by the wife and children from Wymore, and the aged father, Mr. J. C. Finley, and sisters, Eleanor and Eva, and brothers, Floyd and Harry, from Chicago.
    The deceased was not very well known here, but the bereaved father and brothers and sisters have many friends in and around Blue Rapids, who sympathize with them in their affliction.


The following is the press account of the accident in which Mr. Finley was killed:

FAIRBURY, Neb., May 24--Early this morning a head-on collision occurred between Burlington passenger train No. 14 and a west bound freight, just west of Reynolds, a small station ten miles southwest of Fairbury. Len Finley, engineer on the passenger train, was pinioned beneath the wreckage and was so badly injured that he died. Dan O'Donnell, the engineer pulling the freight train, was terribly scalded below the hips and it is thought he has also sustained internal injuries. The fireman on the passenger train, James Hill, was thrown through the window of the cab across the right of way into a cornfield, and it is impossible to tell the extent of his injuries. The fireman on the freight train escaped aside from a few scratches.

The wreck occurred at a sharp curve just west of Reynolds and it is reported was the result of a mistake in time by the engineer of the freight train. The stor is that in looking at his watch the first time he thought he had time to make Williams, the first town west of Reynolds, and had started for that point. But a second glance showed that the passenger was due in Reynolds in a few minutes. He then proceeded back onto the siding and sent a flagman to flag the approaching passenger train. But it is said the flagman signaled from the left hand side of the passenger train and was not seen by the passenger fireman who happened to be firing his engine at the time. There was therefore no warning to the passenger crew until the collision came, striking the freight train head on while it was backing onto the siding.

Both engines were badly damaged, the baggage car and two coaches were reduced to kindling wood and three freight cards demolished. The baggage man was hurt about the hips and back but it is not thought seriously and the boy sustained but slight injuries. While the relief forces were working to extricate Finley, who was pinioned beneath the wreckage of the passenger train, it is said he suggested to them that it was not necessary to hurry because it was all up with him anyhow.

Len Finley stood high in the estimation of the Burling railroad officials. He had been an engineer for the company for 21 years. Previous to commencing to work for the company he had had some experience with stationary engines and started with the company as a fireman. He had just made one run out from St. Joe as a fireman when the engineers were called out on a strike and he took the train back successfully without any engineer and he was given an engineer's job and he steadily worked until he had the best run on the division--the "Denver flyer" out of St. Joe.

Mr. Finley was 47 years old. He leaves a wife, two sons and a daughter, besides his aged father and brothers and sister to whom he has been a most dutiful son and elder brother.

Contributed by Linda Hoffman


Burton W. Forbes was born March 16, 1874 at Hornbrook, Pennsylvania, and passed away at the hospital in Marysville, Kansas, January 18, 1943 at the age of sixty eight years. He was the oldest son of Orson and Inez Forbes, and came with his parents to Kansas when he was fourteen years old. The family first settled near Marysville, later moving to Irving.

In 1899 he was married to Carrie McCoy. To this home came two daughters, Marie and Lucille, now Mrs. L. B. McKinely of Rochester, New York, and Mrs. Ralph Wilson of Clay Center, Kansas. His devotion and loyalty to his wife and daughters was one of his outstanding characteristics. Mr. Forbes was especially fond of his grandchildren--Dick Wilson, Bob and Margaret McKinley, and he loved his sons-in-law as though they were his own sons. Besides the immediate family, he is survived by one sister, Mrs. Hallie Urban of Belleville, and one brother, Harry Forbes of Kansas City, and many other relatives. He was very proud of his nephew, Lieutenant Jimmie Forbes, one of America's flying heros on the U.S. Aircraft Carrier Hornet.

Since 1901, Mr. Forbes has lived in Irving, and during those forty-two years has been one of Irving's most valuable citizens. For thirty-two years he carried the mails on one of the rural routes out of Irving, starting in the days of the horse and buggy, with unimproved roads. He was one of the first rural carriers in Kansas to improve the service to his patrons by using an automobile.

"Burt," as he was commonly known to everyone, was always greatly interested in sports, especially baseball, and will be remembered by the old timers as one of the fastest players in the Northeast Kansas League and on Irving's famous team of forty years ago. He has, also, always been an enthusiastic supporter of every Irving team in every sport of the younger generations.

Mr. Forbes was interested in politics and the fraternal organizations. He was a leading member of the Knights of Pythias during its flourishing days in Irving. For twenty seven years he was a member of the Masonic order, serving in many official positions. At the time of his death he was Secretary of Blue Valley Lodge No. 112, and took great pride in the faithful performance of his duties, and the exactness of his work. He was Trustee of the Presbyterian Church, and served several terms as Police Judge and Justice of the Peace.

For about thirty-five years Mr. Forbes published the Irving Leader, and took an active part among the business men on Main Street. As the Editor of a small town newspaper he was held in that unique esteem given to the men in that profession. In that capacity he served his community unusually well; he printed the news that was clean and wholesome-- anything that might hurt an individual or reflect upon his town was left out. Every edition of his paper was eagerly looked forward to--every reader was his critic and his friend. He was a booster for every civic improvement, a supporter of every Irving enterprise, and a fighter for everything he thought to be for the good of the community.

In the passing of Burt Forbes Irving has lost one of its most interesting and useful citizens, and his place will be very hard to fill.


Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Presbyterian church in Irving.

Rev. Judd Jones of Marysville conducted the services.

The music was furnished by a male quartet composed of Fred Warders, Leo George, Clyde Wells, and Fred Piper; Mrs. Lester Sparks, pianist.

Masonic services were held at the church.

The pallbearers were Fred Vallier, Milton Chaffee, Wm. Carney, Roger Cottrell, Reginald Thompson, and Finley Dawkins.

Burial was made in Greenwood cemetery.
"Irving Leader," Jan. 28, 1943

Contributed by Bob McKinley


Carrie McCoy, daughter of James and Mary Ann McCoy, was born at Irving, Kansas, September 15, 1879, and passed away on May 6, 1944, at Rochester, N.Y. She was sixty-four years of age. In 1899 she was married to Burton W. Forbes. To this home came two daughters, Marie and Lucille, who with their husbands, L. B. McKinley, of Rochester, N. Y., and Pvt. Ralph W.Wilson, of Camp Howze, Texas, survive her. Mrs. Forbes was very fond of her three grandchildren, Dick Wilson, Bob and Margaret McKinley. Besides the immediate family, she is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Annie Phelan, of Wahoo, Nebr., and Mrs. Addie Boyd, of Home City, Kansas, and many other relatives. With the exception of a few months during her early married life, practically the whole life of Mrs. Forbes was spent in Irving, and the story of her life and interests would be the story of the little town she loved so well. She was a splendid housekeeper, a devoted wife and mother. Her home and her loved ones were her chief concern. She had many friends. She was a member of th Eastern Star, and a Past Matron of that organization. She belonged to the Episcopal Auxiliary. She was a member of the Presbytrian church and took a very active part in the work of rthe Modern Marthas. During the many years Mr. Forbes published The Irving Leader, Mrs. Forbes always took a keen and helpful interest in its affairs. She enjoyed working in the shop with her husband. The sight of her folding and addressing papers on Thursday afternoons when the weekly edition was coming off the press was a very familiar one to those passing The Leader office. In the death of her husband last year, Mrs. Forbes suffered a loss from which she could not seem to recover, and in spite of all the loving care and help which her daughters gave her, her health failed rapidly. As their many friends were shocked at the passing of Mr. Forbes, so all are again deeply grieved at this secon great loss to our community which has come so soon. The body was brought from Rochester and burial was made in the cemetery at Irving last Wednesday, following services conducted by Rev. C. M. Mills, at the Presbyterian church in Irving.
The Blue Rapids Times (Kansas) - 18 May 1944

Contributed by James A. Nethery

Mrs. Henry Fralin Dead

(Beattie Eagle, Thursday Aug. 13, 1914)

Grace Gertrude Fralin, wife of Henry Fralin, died at the home six and one-half miles north of town last Wednesday afternoon at 5 o'clock after an illness of several weeks. Mrs. Fralin underwent an operation at the Sabetha hospital several weeks since in the hopes that it would be the means of restoring her health but she continued to fail despite the best medical attention.

The deceased was born September 20, 1893 in Beattie and has resided in Beattie or near here since her birth. She was married to Henry Fralin February 29, 1912, at the parsonage of Dunkard church northwest of Beattie, Rev. Frantz officiating.

Funeral services were held at the Dunkard church six miles north of Beattie last Friday afternoon at 3'oclock, conducted by Rev. Canfield and burial was made in the church cemetery.

The deceased is survived by her husband; father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Tucker of Beattie; and three brothers, David, who lives near Summerfield; Willie and Wayne, who are at home; and three sisters, Mrs. Alma Schrock of Grundy Center, Iowa, Mrs. Roy Miller of northwest of Beattie, and Dora, who is at home.

Mrs. Fralin was an excellent young woman, beloved by all who knew her and her untimely death comes as a severe blow to those to whom she was near and dear. The sincere sympathy of many friends and acquaintances is extended to the relatives of the deceased in their sad hour of bereavement.

Contributed by: DorothyBailey

Edna (Thomas) Fulton

(Name of newspaper not given)

"Mrs. Arthur Fulton, after a severe illness lasting over a week, died at her home on Genesee street Friday morning, July 3d. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at half past two o'clock from the home of the deceased's parents, Dr. and Mrs. Thomas. The burial was in Fairmont Cemetery. Deceased was born in Pennsylvania in 1879. When about nine years of age she moved with her parents to Leonardville, Kan., where she lived until December 30th, four years ago, when she was united in marriage to Mr. Arthur Fulton, and after a short residence in Western Kansas they came to Blue Rapids nearly three years ago, since which time they have made this their home. Besides her husband and baby boy, deceased leaves to mourn her death, her parents, Dr. and Mrs. Thomas of this city, a sister at Clay Center, a sister at Manhattan and a brother in New York."

Contributed by Jane (Fulton) Taylor





Home Page for Kansas