Marshall County Obituaries

S -- Z


(Manly [Iowa] Signal, Dec. 11, 1986)

Mrs. Alma Schrock, 96, a resident of Manly for several years, died at the Manly Care Center on Saturday, December 6.

Funeral services were held Wednesday, December 10 at the Bride Colonial Chapel in Manly with the Rev. Dr. Allen Call and the Rev. Kenneth Davidson officiating. Burial was in the Harlan cemetery at Dumont, Iowa.

Serving as pall bearers were Gordon Schrock, Lester Schrock, Barry Delp, Dennis Delp, David Patterson, Kevin Davidson and Richard Delp.

Mrs. Sandy Call was organist and accompanied Dr. Call as he sang "Amazing Grace," "Just a Closer Walk with Thee," and "Rock of Ages."

Alma Elenor Schrock was born to Thomas C. and Alice Addeline (Dabner) Tucker on January 17, 1890 in Beattie, Kansas. She was married to Clarence E. Schrock on February 22, 1909. They lived in several communities in Iowa and Kansas where her husband served as a minister in the Church of the Brethren for many years. Mrs. Schrock was a Sunday School teacher for many years. In later years her hobby was crocheting and she made many beautiful gifts for her children, grandchildren and friends.

Preceding her in death besides her husband and parents were one son, one granddaughter, four brothers and four sisters.

She is survived by three daughters: Mrs. Ralph (Lois) Delp, Manly; Mrs. Merrill (Olive) Shook, El Centro Calif.; Mrs. Warren (Fay) Streitwiester, Rowlett, Texas; and two sons, Merlin Schrock, Indo, Calif. and Virgil Schrock of Waterloo, Iowa. Also surviving are 18 grandchildren, 44 great grandchildren and 6 great great grandchildren; one sister, Alice Miller, of Frankfort, Kansas, and one brother, Wayne Tucker of Kansas City, Kansas.



(Sabetha Herald, May 5, 1948--Iowa)

Funeral services for the Rev. C. E. Schrock, who died April 28, were held Thursday afternoon, April 29, at four o'clock at the Church of the Brethren, conducted by the Rev. D. W. Kesler, assisted by the Rev. H. J. Sterling and the Rev. E. E. Erickson.

The casket bearers were Lester Bailey, Keith Willard, David Vaneil, Harold Grote, Rex Snyder, Richard Bestwick.

W. R. Popkess took the body to Hampton, Iowa, Friday morning where services were held at a church of which the Rev. Schrock formerly was pastor. Two sons and a daughter live there. Mrs. Schrock went to Iowa with her children.

Burial was in the Harlan cemetery.

Rev. Schrock was born at Home City, in Marshall County, November 9, 1886. Early in life he dedicated his life to the ministry and has served pastorates in several states. He came to Sabetha late last summer and has served faithfully as pastor of his church and taken an interest in community affairs.

Contributed by Dorothy Bailey


(Name of paper not listed)

Daniel F. Schultz died at his home in Walnut Township Friday, May 27, (1927) at three o'clock a.m. He was aged seventy-six years, three months and seventeen days. His death was caused by heart trouble from which he had suffered for the past six months. Funeral services were held Sunday from his home at two o'clock, with Rev. I. B. Keisey in charge. Interment was made in the Deer Creek Cemetery.

Mr. Schultz was born February 11, 1851 in Seneca County, Ohio. He came to Kansas with his parents when he was eight years of age, and located on a farm in Marshall County. On November 17, 1872 he married Margaret C. Triggs. He had always farmed and is known as one of the most successful farmers in the district. For the past twenty-one years he has lived on the place he was farming at the time of his death.

Mr. Schultz is survived by his widow, a son, Charles A. Schultz; three sisters: Mrs. J. A. Watson, Mrs. S. E. Scott, and Mrs. J. P. Paxton. He is also survived by five grandchildren and one great-granddaughter. He was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge, and the Odd Fellows took charge of the services at the grave. Mr. Schultz was a good husband and father, and he will be greatly missed not only by his relatives, but by all those in his neighborhood where he was highly respected.



Died -- at her home in Oketo, Kansas, Tuesday, December 29, 1908 at 2:30 o'clock a.m. Elizabeth Schultz aged 71 years, 10 months and 19 days. Funeral services will be held at the residence Wednesday, December 30, 1908 at 11:00 o'clock a.m. Internment in Deer Creek Cemetery.



IN LOVING REMEMBRANCE OF GEORGE SCHULTZ -- born Feb. 10, 1830--died Aug. 21, 1908--age 78 years, 6 months, 11 days -- GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

Contributed by Alice Allen


Thursday Dec. 23, 1897

Uncle Andy Scott, who only a few weeks ago left here for Iowa, died at the latter place Monday morning at ten o'clock. He took cold and his old trouble of pneumonia, from which he was so sick last winter, set in and resulted in his death. His daughter, Mrs. Thos. Irvin, started for his bedside as soon as she learned of his serious sickness, and she returned last evening with the remains.

The funeral services will be held at two o'clock this afternoon in the Latter Day Saints church, sermon by Rev. Will Haresuape. Andy Scott has lived on the banks of the Blue from the time when the mind of our oldest inhabitant runneth not to the contrary, and we shall endeavor to give a sketch of his life later.

(Note: The newspaper misspelled the last name "Irvin" in the above article. It should be spelled "Ervin." Adrian Scott, great-great-grandson .)


BLUE RAPIDS TIMES Thursday Jan. 20, 1898
"Scenes and Characters"
U No Who

Andrew Scott

It is frequently said that new countries are settled upon by "Roughs" and the refuse of older and better society. Sometimes this is so. But the early settlers in Kansas were an exception to this rule. Kansas was opened to settlement at a time when the politics of the nation were likely to swing for many a year on the character of her first immigrants. While many of the roughest elements of old society did pull up in her territory, the predominance of her pioneers was favorable to what is now her social and political status. While they bravely met and overcame all the hardships and depri- vations incident to new settlements in the remote borderland, they kept an eye constantly on and labored to that end - - full and complete democracy in all the relations of municipal institutions that we, who came in after, or were to the "manner born,"now enjoy. Among that honored number was the late Andrew Scott, who died in Vinton, Iowa, Dec. 19, 1897, of pneumonia, whither he was on a visit to old friends. Mr. Scott pitched tent on the bank of the Blue in 1859, and from hence- forth till his toils of life ended in the rest for the Just, he made that his rallying point.

Mr. Scott was born of Scotch and Irish stock, in 1823, at Galiopolis, Ohio. At the age of 14, with no other resources but those of a sound head and good heart to make the history of life, he settled near Nobelsville, Hamilton county, Indiana. Here at the age of 18, (1841,) he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Miller. In 1849 they migrated to Wisconsin; from whence, in 1859, they made their last earthly move onto the bank of the rippling river whose soft murmurings soothed away many an ache in the hard toils of near forty years. In this homestead he and his beloved wife, Sarah, spent their life mission; had born to them, nursed, schooled and reared ten children; lived to see them all married and battling in the world for themselves.

Mr. Scott had a great natural taste for sport-hunting wild game, fishing and trapping for furs. Before the wheels of manufactories vexed the waters of this rippling Blue, they sparkled and splashed with the fish and the beaver. Long strings of the one and bales of the other were always in sight at "Uncle Andy"s, as he was familiarly called in the latter years of his life. Probably no man in Kansas was better known than Mr. Scott as trapper and fisherman. At the time he settled here, Kansas was alive with buffalo, deer, antelope, and fur animals, both of land and water; and he plunged into the sport with an abandon, following it up to the day of his death.

With the hounds and the chase, the fishing tackle and the steel trap, Uncle Andy divided his amusements with the "fiddle and the bow." In those pioneer days, log-rollings, house-raisings, corn-huskings, quiltings, &, generally wound up with a dance; and then Uncle Andy with his fiddle was in demand. Nor did the young folks enjoy such amusement any better than Mr. Scott. Many a night, all the live-long night, and away into the next day, did he charm them into ectasies with his lessons of harmony in sound.

Rather out of fashion now is this feature of social enjoyment; and many of our good Christian folks disapprove of it. But in those days, the man that took exceptions to the fiddle was considered cranky. Mr. Scott must have had an innate taste for music, as the most or all his sons play the fiddle; and one of his daughters, I am informed, is an excellent violinist - - lives in Blue Rapids, I believe. She would have been heard of as such if she had been properly cultivated in youth.

Mr. & Mrs. Scott, the latter of whom went to wakeless sleep in August last, left a numerous prosterity, but the exact number I cannot say. Making an effort in that direction, I inquired of a lady of whom I expected the desired knowledge. Whereupon she stretched out her left hand, spread her thumb and fingers as far apart as possible, then putting her right forefinger on her left thumb, she began: "There's Pete Stout's wife who was nursing her FOURTEENTH baby over a year ago," -- "Stop right there!" I said, "that's enough." Respectfully though, the decendants are multiplying, we can rest assured.

Side by side in the silent grave these two dear old people lie, and will till time shall end. They drank of the waters of life from the pure fountain of married life for more than fifty years. Always true to themselves, true to each other, true to their neighbor, true to their maker. Rarely, indeed, did you ever know two people live so long together in such unalloyed domestic bliss, or who traveled so far and died without an enemy. Peace to their memories!

Religiously, the writer believes that Mr. Scott in his old age sought quietude from the din of life in the bosom of the Latter Day Saints -- usually called Mormons. We are not able to say whether his wife did or not. Some of their children have done so.

One by one these honored pioneer names are dropped from the list of the living, but their memories are as green as the leaves of June.



Thursday August 12, 1897

Mrs. Andy Scott, wife of one of our oldest settlers, died at her home on the banks of the Blue, last Friday which was her 77th birthday. She had been sick for a long time. The deceased requested that a Methodist minister should preach her funeral sermon, and accordance therewith Rev. Thomas Scott officiated. The sermon was attended by a large number of relatives and friends, the house and yard being filled. The remains were taken to Prospect Hill Cemetery.

Submitted by: Adrian Scott


Blue Rapids Times, April 20, 1933

     John Scott, son of Andrew and Sarah Scott, was born in Wisconsin, February 15th, 1856 and died at his home in Blue Rapids, Kansas, April 10th, 1933, at the age of 77 years, 1 month, and 25 days.

     John was one of a family of 14 children, and came to Marshall Co. with his parents in the year 1859, at the age of three years and has resided here since that time.

     He was married to Mary Case, (Aunt Mollie as we love to call her) on June 16th, 1880, and to this union 4 sons were born.  He leaves to mourn their loss, his beloved wife, and three sons, Walter of Los Angeles, California; George, of New Orleans, La., and Alex of Manhattan, Kan., his
son Joe having preceeded him in death several years ago.  He also leaves 5 grandchildren, three brothers and two sisters, a host of nieces and nephews and many, many friends.

     John Scott's parents were of the pioneers of the early days of Kansas, and Marshall County, and the names of Andy and Sarah Scott were recognized among the builders and promoters of this great commonwealth and their home was always open to the many western bound home seekers.

     John Scott was an honest, industrious citizen and one who was always proud of his home town, and his prescence on our streets and in other places will be greatly missed.

     Mr. Scott, affiliated with the Latter Day Saints Church, gave to that organization, and was always pleased to entertain the ministers and Missionairies at his home, when ever they were here in attendance at their meeting.

     Music was furnished by a mixed quartette, Mrs. Will Coulter, Mrs. Carl Johnson, Paul Kennedy, and Will Coulter, Mrs. Neil Robinson at the piano. Pall bearers were H.C. Lathrap, M. Troutner, George Taylor, Earl Thorman, and Simon Hicks.  Burial in Prospect Hill Cemetery.

     Funeral at the L.D.S. Church, sermon by Elder W. A. Smith of Independence, Mo., assisted by B. F. Jackson.


                                CARD OF THANKS

     We sincerely wish to thank all who rendered help to us in our recent bereavement in the death of husband and father, to those who so faithfully cared for him day and night, for the many who sent in lunches, and the special dinner, beautiful flowers and to those who furnished the music,
your kindness and sympathy will never be forgotten.  Also Mrs. Adams for the nice care and services.

                                Mrs. Mary Scott
                                Mr. and Mrs. Walter Scott
                                Alexander Scott and Family
                                Mr. and Mrs. George Scott



Blue Rapids Times,
Thursday, April 17, 1941

                                PIONEER PASSES

     Mrs. John Scott, commonly called " Aunt Molly", by her many friends and relatives, passed away Sunday evening, April 13.

     Mrs. Scott is one of our oldest citizens, having resided in Blue Rapids continuously since 1879, or 62 years.

     Funeral services were from the Latter Day Saints Church, Tuesday, April 15, sermon by Elder Frank G. Hedrick of Atchison, Kansas.  The obituary is printed elsewhere in this issue.


                                OBITUARY- MRS. JOHN SCOTT

     Mary Susan Case was born January 23rd, 1861 at Sigourney, Ia., and died at Blue Rapids, Sunday evening, April 13, 1941.  her father was a Union soldier and killed in battle.  Her mother died leaving her an orphan at the age of twelve years.  She was taken into the home of Joseph Jacobs where she enjoyed a happy life until she became eighteen years old.  She then came to Blue Rapids.

     Being of a religious dispositon, she became a regular attendant of the Re-organized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and on the 23rd of February, 1880 united with the church by the ordinance of baptism and for sixty -one years lived a faithful and exemplary Christian life.

     In the year 1880, she was united in wedlock to John Scott who preceeded her in death eight years ago.  To this union was born four sons: Joseph, who died July 30th, 1899; Walter B., who resides in Los Angeles; Alexander, who passed away April 7th, 1935; George L., now living in New Orleans.  Her only relative living in Blue Rapids is a cousin, Mrs. Minnie Shriver.  A grandaughter, Mrs. Maynard Stadel of Jet, Oklahoma; one grandson, Ernest of Wichita, and Verl, Jack and Ralph, grandsons, of Manhattan, Kansas, also survive.

     The funeral was from the Latter Day Saints Church, Tuesday, April 15th, sermon by Elder Frank G. Hedrick of Atchison.  The large attendance at ther service and the many beautiful floral memorials attested the high esteem of Mrs. Scott in the hearts of her friends and neighbors.  The
active pall bearers were Robert Grabhorn, Daniel Stiener, David Mall, Walter Johnson, Chance Watters and Simon Hicks.



(Name of newspaper not included)

Alexander Scott, age 47 years, 5 months, and 15 days, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Scott, was born at Blue Rapids, Kansas, October 22, 1887, where he lived until the three years preceding his death, in a Kansas City Hospital, April 7, 1935, after an illness of 20 months.  The past three
years Mr. Scott and his family have lived in Manhattan, Kansas.  During his illness he bore his sufferings patiently until called to share his eternal reward.  The large number of friends attending Mr. Scott's funeral bespeaks the esteem which was held for him in Blue Rapids and Manhattan.

Alexander Scott was united in marriage to Laura May Wright, Nov. 3, 1909.  To this union was born six childen:  two daughters and four sons, one daughter dying in infancy.  Those to mourn his departure are:  his wife, Mrs. Laura M. Scott, one daughter, Faye Scott, four sons, Verl, Jack,
Ernest and Ralph, one daughter-in-law, Mrs Verle Scott, all of the home at 430 Laramie Street, Manhattan, Kansas.  His mother, Mrs. Mary Scott of Blue Rapids, two brothers, Walter Scott of Los Angeles, California and George Scott of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Mr. Scott was preceded in death by a brother, Joseph Scott, and his father, John Scott.  Mr. Scott was buried just two years to the day after his father's death.

(The page is torn at this point, but part of the first sentence can be made out. It says "Funeral services were conducted . . . ")



Ernest died March 22, 1947
The following article is from a Blue Rapids Newspaper

                                BURY FORMER BLUE RAPIDS BOY, TUES.

Funeral services were conducted in Blue Rapids, Tuesday afternoon, at 2:30 in the Latter Day Saints Church, for Ernest E. Scott, who died at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., on Saturday.  Rev. J. D. Showers and Rev. A. L. Wright, conducted the services.

Burial was in Fairmont cemetery.  A military escort composed of members of George Bedford Post of teh American Legion, formed a color guard and fired the salute to the dead at the graveside.

Ernest Scott was born in Blue Rapids, July 18, 1913, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Alex Scott. His father died April 7, 1935, and is buried here.

Ernest entered military service April 27, 1944, and was discharged on May 12, 1946, after he had seen much service with the Army Air Corps ground forces.  He had been awarded the Asiatic Theatre Pacific Service Ribbon, the Good Conduct Medal, The Victory Medal and the Japanese Occupation Medal, and during his months of service, fought at the Ryukyus Islands, Okinawa and Iwo Shima (sp), in the southwest Pacific.

Following his discharge from military service, he was, on June 2, 1946, admitted to the Veterans Hospital, Wichita, Kansas, for a service-connected ailment and later was transferred to Jefferson Barracks, Mo., where he passed away.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Pauline Scott, of Herington, Kansas; his mother, Mrs Laura Scott, of Wichita; a sister, Mrs. Maynard Stadal, of Columbia, Mo; and three brothers, Verl D., and Jack of Wichita; and Ralph A., of Kansas City, Mo.



The Times-Picayune/The States-Item Wednesday December 5, 1984
(New Orleans, La)

George (Scotty) Leonard Scott on Monday December 3, 1984.  Beloved husband of Ethel Thibodaux. Father of Joel Howard Scott of Gretna, La. and Mary Carlene Scott Ragusa of New Orleans, La., Susan Scott Mercier of Metairie, La., and Helen Scott Marchand of Slidell, La. Survived by 6 grandchildren. A native of Blue Rapids, Kansas and a resident of Slidell for the past 25 years. 

Internment in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Slidell, La.  Friends and relatives of the family are invited to attend funeral services from Schoen Funeral Home, Inc., 3808 Pontchartrain Dr., Slidell, La. on Wednesday, December 5, 1984 at 11:00 AM.  Also employees of New Orleans Police Dept, and Halter Marine are invited to attend.

(Additional information on the above, compiled by Mary Carlene Scott):

Mr. Scott was the son of John Scott, and Mary "Aunt Molly" Case Scott, and the grandson of Andrew and Sarah Miller Scott, all of Blue Rapids, Kansas. Mr Scott was born in Blue Rapids on December 27, 1899.  He was preceded in death by his three brothers, Joseph, in Blue Rapids, in 1899, Walter, in Los Angeles, in 1951, and Alexander in Kansas City in 1935.  Mr. Scott left
Blue Rapids in 1915, and settled in New Orleans, La. in 1925.  He was a member of the New Orleans Police Department, and retired from the department in 1945.  



Daily Chronicle  Sept 22, 1971(Washington newspaper)

Jerome J. Scott, 72 a resident of Chehalis since 1943, died Wednesday at a veteran's hospital in Seattle.

He was born Nov. 29, 1898, in Blue Rapids, Kan., and had been an operating engineer.  He was a veteran of the U. S. Army and a member of the Veterans of Foreign War World War I Barracks. 

Surviving is his widow, Mildred, at home; two daughters, Mrs. Durwood (Betty) Lane, McConnellville, N. Y. , and Mrs. Charles (Madeline) Van Vleck, Winnlock; a son, William, Spanaway; two sisters, Mrs. Leonard (Carrie) Spencer, Creswell, Ore., and Mrs. Ed (Nellie0 Calvin, Haney, B.C. Canada; two brothers, Nels D. Scott, and Alvin Roy Scott, both of
Skamakowa, 14 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Services will be Monday, 1 p.m., at the Fissell chapel of the Brown Mortuary Service in Chehalis with the Rev. Ben Owen officiating.  Burial will follow at Sunset Memorial Gardens.


From the Blue Rapids Times, August 3, 1899 Page 5


On Sunday last, while Joseph Scott was with his little brother on the sea wall by the dam, near the Blue Rapids Plaster Co.'s water wheel, he suddenly fell into the river and sank without a struggle.  Assistance was procured and the body recovered a short distance below, in about 15 minutes from the time he fell in.  Efforts to resuscitate were promptly commenced and continued until Dr. Fillmore arrived, who found that life was extinct.  The water into which Joe fell was not more than three or four feet deep with considerable of a current, and as the deceased was a good swimmer, it is thought by some that it was a case of heart disease or some sudden attack while others attribute
it to a broken neck caused by the fall of some fifteen feet to the river, or otherwise there would have been a struggle, and no difficulty in getting out.

The deceased was a son of John Scott and was born in this place on June 4, 1881, being in his 19th year at the time of his death.  Funeral service was held at the Church of Latter Day Saints, conducted by Rev. Will Haresnape, pastor of the Congregational Church.  The remains were placed in Prospect Hill Cemetery.


Blue Rapids Motor, August 4, 1899

Last Sunday afternoon, Joseph Scott, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Scott, met his death in a very sad and peculariar manner.  With his two brothers, he was standing on the west sea wall at the dam, about opposite the Blue Rapids Plaster Co.'s wheel, when suddenly he fell to the river below.  Although a good swimmer, he made no struggle and the current carried his body a short
distance and it was rescued about 15 minutes after the fall.  The general opinion seems to be that either the boy's neck was broken in the fall, or else his death was caused by heart disease or some similar attack.  The funeral services were held on Mondaay at the Latter Day Saints Church,
conducted by Rev. Haresnape, pastor of the Congregational Church.

Submitted by Mary Ahrens


The End Came at Excelsior Springs, Missouri, Saturday

A Pioneer of '57, and Among the Country's Ablest Workers -- Honored Three Times With County Office -- Business Reverses Retrieved Under Difficulties.

Listed in the Axtell Anchor, Axtell, Kansas, 17 JULY 1903}

H. K. Sharpe died Saturday, July 11, at Excelsior Springs, Mo., where with Mrs. Sharpe and son Wyatt, he had been staying since last Feb. With the hope that his health might be benefited. The funeral was conducted from the home here Monday by the A. F. & A.M. and in charge of the Knight Templar Commandery of Seneca, of which he was a member. Masons and friends of the deceased were also here from Marysville, Summerfield, and Centralia. The interment was in what is known as the Shockley Cemetery, five miles northwest of her e and near the old homestead.

Harvey Kaye Sharpe was born July 28, 1853 in Campbell County, Tennessee. His parents were among the first immigrants to Kansas, settling here in what was a real wilderness in 1857. In early life Harvey showed unusual ener gy and progressiveness, being one of the few who understood carpenter work, and that too at he age of 14. Later he engaged in the contracting of buildings and bridges. In 1871 he was married to C. Florence Totten. They had seven children, five of whom are now living. They are Mrs. Alice Volle of Summerfield, Mrs Ida Allbert of Axtell, Dr. Anthony Sharpe of Vliets, J. J. Sharpe and Vinnie Sharpe of Axtell.

Mr. Sharpe's capability was recognized by his election to office of probate judge in 1877, as Surveyor in 1881, and as Register of Deeds in 1883. It was shortly before his election to the latter office that Mrs. Sharpe died.

In 1886 he was married to Anna E. Millikan of Marysville. Soon after the expiration of his second term as Register of Deeds, in 1888, the family moved to Rawlins County, Kansas, where Mr. Sharpe engaged in the milling business. Two crop failures there in succession caused him to suffer considerable of a reverse of fortune and they returned to the farm in 1890.

To add to their trouble, Mr. Sharpe had become an invalid with Bright\rquote s disease. Although low and nigh unto death, his indomable[sic] will temporarily conquered, and he lived to provide for his family which had been added to by two sons, Wyatt and Ted, whose boyhood days are nearly over.

Realizing that the farm was no place for him in his condition, he moved to Axtell in 1893, and engaged in the practice of law and dealt in real estate. In this he was very successful, and soon gained a firm footing in the world of workers.

His principal trouble the last few years was inflammatory rheumatism and he has suffered much. How much only those intimately acquainted with him really knew, for he was always ready with a pleasant word or greeting, and lingering memories of a kind turn given remain with many whom he has befriended.


Listed in the Axtell Anchor, Axtell Kansas, 17 July 1903


To the friends whose kindness and sympathy supported us through the sad duty of laying our loved one to r est; to Seneca Commandery No. 41 K.T. for performing the funeral rites; to Axtell Lodge A. F. & M.; to Angerona Chapter O. E-S and other fraternal orders for floral tributes, we offer our heartfelt thanks.
~ ~ Mrs. H. K. Sharpe and Family


Listed in Axtell Anchor, Axtell, kansas, 17 JULY 1903

Allen Sharpe of Liberty, Nebraska, and Wyatt Millikan of Frankfort, attended the funeral of H. K. Sharpe here Monday. The former is a brother of the deceased and Mr. Millikan is a brother of Mrs. Sharpe\rquote s, who is but recently home from the work of surveying the Orient railroad in old Mexico.



Obituary published in "THE ANCHOR," Axtell, Kansas, November 17, 1899, page 2 col. 3}


On Monday morning, Nov. 13, at his home ten miles north of Axtell, John C. Sharpe, aged forty-eight years. The funeral services were held on Tuesday at his late residence, conducted by Rev. D.C. Smith, of Axtell. The interment was in the Shockley Cemetery.

Mr. Sharpe\rquote s death was so sudden that his family and relatives could not at first realize the great affliction that had come to them. He had commenced unloading some corn, when, without any warning he fell prostrate on the load. His two young sons, who were near, immediately ran to him, at the same time calling to their mother. They reached him in a very short time, but he could not speak or recognize them. Apparently death was instant and painless. The deceased had usually enjoyed excellent health, but had suffered two attacks of heart trouble within the year. However, these had been of short duration and his fr iends supposed him entirely recovered. His death is believed to have been due to a similar attack.

John C. Sharpe was born in Tennessee, April 10, 1851. He had resided in this community forty-two years, being a son of Anthony Sharpe, who settled in Marshall County in 1857. The old homestead on which the deceased spent his boyhood days overlooks the c emetery where his remains now rest. He had been engaged in farming up to the time of his death.

On March 4, 1880, he was married to Miss Nancy Jane France , who with their eight children, survives him. Mr. Sharpe was a kind husband and father and a true friend. His generous nature, his ready sympathy and genial disposition endeared him to all in the circle in which he moved. There was a heartiness in his handshake, an intensity of kindness and goodwill in his look, that drove away the blues when he greeted one. The affectionate regard in which he was held by those who knew him best was evidenced by the large attendance at his funeral and the sincere grief expressed in the faces of all present.

Though not a member of any church or fraternity his funeral was one of the largest ever held in this locality. The bereaved wife and children have the sincere sympathy of the entire community in their distress.

Contributed by: James D. Sharpe


Last Thursday during the time that everything out doors was covered with a thick coating of ice, a fatal accident occurred about eight miles northeast of this city. Edward Shaughnessy and his hired man went a short distance from the house to remove a large limb from a tree that obstructed the view. The hired man climbed the tree with the aid of a ladder and Mr. Shaughnessy was below, and was apparently in a safe place, but when the limb fell, the coating of ice that was on everything caused it to bound back and the heavy end struck the unfortunate man on the shoulder, breaking his collar bone and crushing him together in such a manner as to break several ribs, one of which penetrated his lung. The injured man was taken to the house and tenderly cared for, while a courier was dispatched to town for Dr. Strayer, who immediately went to the scene of the accident, but in spite of all that medical science could do the unfortunate man continued to grow worse until Sunday morning, when his death came to relieve his intense suffering. Mr. Shaughnessy was about forty-two years of age and leaves a wife and eight children to mourn his untimely end. He was a man who enjoyed the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends in this neighborhood, and by hard work and good management had succeeded in acquiring a title to several hundred acres of land, which will be a great help to the widow and orphans. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Father O"Sullivan, and the remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery at St. Bridget Tuesday morning.

The Axtell Anchor, February 18, 1898

Contributed by Father Tom Dolezall, pastor of St. Michael's in Axtell.

D. P. Skeels

Weekly Review, Friday Nov. 10, 1899


On November 2, 1899, Mr. D.P. Skeels living southeast of Frankfort about twelve miles, on the Dignan farm, where he had raised a crop this year. Mr. D.P. Skeels was born in Licking County, Ohio, near Gramville, July 26, 1850, where he spent his boyhood days. In March 1872, he removed to Republic County, Kansas, and there married Sarah Hoey, June 4, 1874, by whom he had one son. September 8, 1876, this wife died, and in 1877 he was married to Lonia Hoey, by whom had six more children, three sons and three daughters. In November, 1893 he removed to Elposo county, Colorado, where he lived until August. 8, 1895. From there he removed to Platt county, Missouri, where his second daughter was married to William Young. February 23, 1896 he removed to Marshall County, Kansas, where his oldest daughter was married to H. I. Collins. Mr. Skeels' family were all present at the funeral. The funeral services were conducted by Mr. Morrinson in the Barrett church.

Some corrections and additional information to the above obituary:

D.P. Skeels is Daniel Perry Skeels. His two wives were sisters, and their maiden name was "Hay" and not "Hoey." The reference to his second daughter was "Dora Myrtle Skeels," the oldest daughter was "Daisy Skeels."


Louis K. Skeels

The Weekly Review, Friday, February 20, 1903


At the home of his mother in Clear Fork township, at 7 o'clock Wednesday morning, February 18, Mr. Louis K. Skeels, aged 28 years and 1 day.

Funeral services will be held from the Methodist Church, Barrett, at 1 o'clock this afternoon.

The cause of Mr. Skeels' death was spinal meningitis, and he had been sick but a few days.

He leaves a widowed mother, who was dependent upon him for support, and his death is a sad blow to her. He was a dutiful son, an upright, honest and energetic young man, highly respected by everybody who knew him.

He was a member of the Woodman lodge of this city, in which he carried one thousand dollars life insurance, and he also had a thousand dollar policy in the Bankers' Life of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Contributed by Amy Patterson

A correction to this obituary: Louis Skeels was actually the son of Daniel P. Skeels and his first wife, Sarah.

Edward Stineff

Edward Stineff, Pioneer Plainsman, is Dead

Edward Stineff, 88 years old, pioneer Kansan and plainsman, died yesterday evening at his home, 1800 Main Street, of old age an complications. He had been in failing health about eight months and during the last ten days was bedfast.

The funeral will be Sunday afternoon from the residence at 2:30 o'clock. Rev. Ballou, of Effingham, an old time friend of Mr. Stineff, will officiate.

The body is at the Stanton funeral home and will be removed Saturday to the residence.

Mr. Stineff was a very remarkable man, keepng his mind bright and active until the time of his death. He kept in touch with modern political movements and could recount story after story of the plains and Kansas in the days of jayhawk raids and rebel-counter raids.

At the time of Lincoln's assasination, Mr. Stineff was in Montana with the Kansas State Militia protecting the government workers on a transcontinental telegraph line, who were being harassed by Indians.

He was born October 13 in Burgesville, Ontario, Canada and was left an orphan at the age of two years. He was bound out to a family, as was the custom in those days, coming to Kansas in 1856 after receiving a good many hard knocks in his youth. He hired out as a teamster hauling supplies between his home in Marysville, in Marshall County, and Atchison. Later he entered the government employ and became a freighter on the plains.

Later he bought a farm near Irving, Kas., where he lived until he retired 35 years ago. Sixteen years ago he moved with his family to Atchison from Irving. He was a prominent man and highly respected in Marshall county and here.

He is survied by his wife, Mrs. Mary Stineff, by two daughters, Mrs. Anna Cox, Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. August Hagen, jr., 1800 Main; and by two sons, James of Geary, Okla., and Frank, 716 R Street. He is also survived by one brother, John Stineff, 92 years old, of Friend, Neb. He leaves 12 grand children and eight great grand children.

(Name of paper not given, the date 1/28/27 is written in the margin)

Contributed by Linda Stineff

E. Stout (Elbert)

From the Blue Rapids Times
May 14, 1891


Mr. E. Stout, for many years a resident of this place, died at his new home in Blaine County, Neb. On the first inst. Mr. Stout was among the first settlers in Marshall county, having settled here in 1859.


Mrs. E. Stout

From the Blue Rapids Times
April 26, 1883


Mrs. E. Stout died on Thursday last and on Friday was buried in Prospect Hill cemetery. Mrs. Stout, we believe, was among the first settlers in this section.


Nathaniel Stout

From the Blue Rapids Times
Jan. 3, 1911

 Mrs. J. W. Watters has received word of the death of her brother, Nathaniel Stout, who lived east of Westmoreland. The deceased left Blue Rapids some 15 or 20 years ago, when he sold his place east of town to George Saville.

(Note: The above newspaper date may not be correct, as noted in the obituary below for Peter Stout. One of his survivors is listed as "the late Mrs. Joe Watters)


Peter Stout

From the Blue Rapids Times
June 02, 1927

The remains of Peter Stout were brought here from Wamego for burial in Prospect Hill cemetery Monday. Mr. Stout homesteaded in this vicinity in the early days and will be remembered by many of our readers. He was a brother of the late Mrs. Joe Watters and the late Mrs. P. S. Burnett.


Sarah E. Stout

From the Blue Rapids Times
May 1, 1937

Mrs. Sarah E. Stout, who went to Kansas City to be treated for cancer, died at that place April 26th. The remains were shipped to this city and interred in the Prospect Hill cemetery on Monday last. A short service was held at the grave by Rev. Matthews.

Contributed by Donna Pfitzner



    Bert Earl  SUTTON, son of Julia Ann  Heydorf and William Alonzo Sutton, was born May 16, 1884 at Beattie, Kansas.  He departed this life in his home on Union Street in Blue Rapids, Kansas at 1:30 pm Sunday, September 4, 1955 at the age of 71 years, 3 months, and 15 days.
   The youngest of five children, he grew to manhood near Schroyer, Kansas.  He lost his father at the age of two years and he remained a devoted son, caring for his mother until her death.
   He was united in marriage to Hattie Boyington on January 3, 1907 and to this union were born five children: Myrtle Fincham, LeRoy Sutton, Ralph Sutton, and Floyd Sutton all of Blue Rapids, Kansas and Bernice Barnes of Kansas City, Kansas.
  Most of his life was spent farming in Marshall County. For fifteen years prior to his retirement, he was employed by the Blue River Gravel Company.
   He was preceded in death by his wife, who passed away March 20, 1951. Besides his children, he leaves a brother, William Sutton in Boise, Idaho; three sisters, Elizabeth Weuster of Santee, California and Nellie Bourinstein of Paramount, California; fifteen grandchildren and three great grandchildren, a host of other relatives and friends.
   He was a person who did not take an active part in community or social affairs, but was deeply devoted to his family and friends.  His greatest joy was being with and working for those who were near and dear to him.
   Funeral services were held at the Blue Rapids Methodist Church, Wednesday, September 6  at 2:00 pm  with Rev. Neil Heidrick officiating. "In the Garden", "Going Down the Valley", and "The Old Rugged Cross" were sung by a male quartet composed of Wilbur Land, Robert Fincham, C. F. Musil and Ralph Johnston, accompanied at the organ by Mrs. Robert
   Pallbearers were Fred Craft, Alva Stryker, Russell Ham, Leo McLeod, Oscar Harris, and Venton Osborne.
   Interment was in the Prospect Hill cemetery.



Newspaper, Thursday, March 29, 1951 Page 3

Hattie Boyington, daughter of David J. and Lydia Ellen Keefer Boyington, was born June 1, 1885 near Richardville, Pennsylvania and died March 20, 1951 at her home in Blue Rapids, Kansas.
   Despite a serious illness a year or more ago, she had been in fair health for some time and death came unexpectedly.  She suffered a stroke about six o'clock on the morning of the 20th and passed away four hours later without regaining consciousness.  Her husband and four of her children were at her bedside.
   When eight years of age, Hattie Boyington came with her parents to Washington County, Kansas, where she made her home until she was 21.  She lost both of her parents during these years; her father on October 23, 1893 soon after they arrived from Pennsylvania and her mother on January 1, 1905.  In 1906, Miss Boyington came to Blue Rapids which was her home throughout the rest of her life.
   Hattie Boyington was united in marriage on January 3, 1907 to Bert E. Sutton.  To this unions were born five children:  Mrs. Myrtle Fincham, LeRoy, Ralph, and Floyd all of Blue Rapids and Mrs. Bernice Barnes of Kansas City, Kansas.
   Besides her husband and these five children, she leaves to mourn her going,  fourteen grandchildren and one great grandchild; her only sister, Mrs. Myrtle (Smutz) Daggett of LaJunta, Colorado; three uncles, Alvin Boyington of Goodland, Kansas, Rev. F. A. Shawkey, Kearney, Nebraska  and Schuyler Boyington of Osawatomie, Kansas; one aunt, Almira Bartlett of 1115 W. Manor, Santa Cruz, California; and numerous other relatives and friends.
   Her life was a rich and full one , though modestly spent.  It centered in the home and the raising of her children, and in later years, in the joy and happiness she had in her grandchildren.  Their interest were always her interest.  She was a devoted wife, mother, and grandmother, a fine friend and neighbor.  A well-used Bible and her lovely character are evidences of a
deep Christian faith that has been an inspiration to her family and initmate acquaintances.  She was a member of the Methodist Church in Blue Rapids. Two especially marked Bible passages in Isaiah (40:28-31 and 42:1-16) show
that she approached her physical death with confidence in the Easter Hope.
   Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Friday afternoon at two o'clock.  Dr. Leslie Templin was in charge of the service, using a passage of scripture that Mr. Sutton had marked in her Bible to comfort her family in their hour of sorrow.
   A male quartet, Kenneth Fincham, Wilbur Land, Robert Fincham, and Hiram Johnston accompanied by Miss Kelma Kapitan, sang "The Old Rugged Cross", "Work for the Night is Coming", and "In The Garden".
   The pallbearers were Alva Stryker, Lawrence Hull, Oscar Harris, Russel Ham, Jack Shearer, and Fred Craft.
   Burial was at Prospect Hill cemetery with the Hill Funeral services in charge.



from " The Star", 5 Aug - 30 Dec  1887
         published at Beattie, Kansas

30 Sep
   Obituary:  William Alonzo SUTTON died 25 September of comsumption.  He was born in McHenry
county, Illinois, 11 Jan 1843. At death he was 44 years 8 months 14 days old.
   He came to Kansas in 1859, settling in Rock township. In 1862 he enlisted as a soldier and served to the close of
the war.  In Jan 1870, he married Miss Julia LIFE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Life, of Beattie.  They had 7 children: 3 boys and 3 girls are left.
   Burial was in the LIFE's cemetery.

note:  The LIFE cemetery is located on the Life/Goin homestead 2 1/2 miles east of Home City, KS on Hwy 36 then 1 mile south on a dirt road.

Contributed by Lova Fincham Kraft


Mrs. Lucy M. THOMAS died at St. Joseph's hospital at, St. Joseph, Missouri, last Sunday morning at 7:15 o'clock. She had been in poor health for several years and for several months past had failed noticeably. A consultation of physicians decided that an operation offered the only chance of restoring her to good health and on Friday morning she and her husband and her brother, W. W. POTTER, of Marysville, went to St. Joseph where an operation was preformed Saturday morning. She rallied from the operation apparently but we are informed that other complications arose and she was unable to survive and died Sunday morning as stated above. Mrs. THOMAS began to fail in health several years ago and for a number of years has been under the care of a physician a greater part of the time.

Lucy M. POTTER was born January 10, 1874, at Olney, Illinois. When she was 11 years old her parents came to Marshall County and she has continued to reside in this county since that time. She was married to Daniel S. THOMAS November 7, 1894, and to this union five children were born, two of the children died in infancy. Her husband and three daughters, Ruth and Rebecca, aged 14, and Margaret, aged 11, her mother, Mrs. Rebecca POTTER, of Beattie, and four brothers, J. F. POTTER of Frankfort, T. A. POTTER, Blue Mound, W. W. POTTER, Marysville and H. E. POTTER, Fairbury; four sisters, Mrs. D. H. BEAVERS, Home City, Mrs. J. G. BRAXTON, Frankfort, Mrs. O. HALSEL, Frankfort, and Miss Mary POTTER of this city, survive. Her father B. F. POTTER, died about seven years ago. All members of the family except one brother T. A. POTTER, of Blue Mound, were present at the funeral services.

The deceased has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for a number of years. She was also an active member of the Order of the Eastern Star and an associate member of the Royal Neighbors and Knights & Ladies of Security.

Mrs. THOMAS was a loving wife, a kind and affectionate mother, a devoted daughter and sister and a good neighbor and her death brings sorrow to the many loved ones and friends.

Funeral services were held at the M. E. church Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 and were conducted by the pastor, Rev. Edward R. KELLEY. The services were largely attended by many friends from a distance in addition to those here and there were many beautiful floral offerings. Burial was made in Beattie Union Cemetery.

Contributed by Dianne Richards


Died-At Excelsior Springs, Mo., Wednesday morning, August 6, 1902, John W. THOMAS, of Home City. He was born in Llanon, Carmarthanshire, South Wales, May 29, 1845, and came with his parents to America in the year 1853. They settled in Wisconsin where John grew to manhood. October 12, 1864, he enlisted in the 12th Wisconsin infantry and marched with Sherman to the sea. He was married Dec. 11, 1867, to Mary E. DAVIS, and they moved to Livingston county, Mo., and thence, in March 1880, to a farm north of Home City. Later he sold his farm and engaged in the grain, implenient and stock business in Home, where he established a reputation for honesty and fair dealing of which any man might be proud. He leaves his faithful, loving wife: Mary M., the wife of Wm. THOMAS of Centralia, Sarah M., wife of Dr. PATTERSON; Daniel S., and Etta, wife of Charles KIRKWOOD, and Arthur, Benjamin, Mamie and Florence, single, at home.

The funeral services will be conducted by his pastor, Rev. D. A. LEEPER at the M.E. church, at Home City, at 2 p.m., Friday, August 8, 1902. Burial at Fairview cemetery.

Few men in Marshall county were better known or had a wider circle of friends. John THOMAS was a consistent member of the Methodist church. He was a loyal member in Lyon Post, G.A.R., at Marysville. He was an Odd Follow and carried policies of insurance in the Workmen and Knights and Ladies of Security. He was liberal in his deeds of charity, and in his support of church services. He was, when in health, active in Sunday school work and in temperance work. He took a broad view of life, he tried to live right and wanted to see his neighbors doing so. He tried to make the world better. He looked on the bright side and was generally cheerful. For some years Mr. THOMAS has suffered intensely from rheumatism. This summer he has been growing worse, and lately dropsy set in. Last week he was here with his brother Asa. Friday night he went up home, and when he got there he at once determined to go to Excelsior Springs on the next train. Dr. PATTERSON and his son, Arthur THOMAS, went with him, and Saturday Asa went down.

Tuesday his wife also went down. All did no good. The end came at 2 o'clock a.m., Wednesday morning. All was peaceful at the close.

The people of Home have lost their best neighbor and friend and Marshall county one of her best citizens.



Mrs. Mary E. THOMAS died at her home in Home City Friday, November 12, age 74 years, 6 months and 17 days. Death was caused by gastritis and she had been in poor health for a long time. Funeral services were held in the Methodist church at Home City Monday, November 15TH, at 2 p.m. conducted by Rev. F. E. BARBER, and internment was in the Fairview cemetery south of Home City. Mary E. DAVIS was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, April 25, 1845. She married December 11, 1867, to John W. THOMAS, who died August 6, 1902. Soon after their marriage they moved from Wisconsin to Missouri, where they made their home until 1880 when they moved to a farm north of Home City and that has been the family home every since that time. Thirteen children were born to Mr. and Mrs. THOMAS two sons and three daughters proceeded her in death. Those who survive her are Mrs. W. M. THOMAS of Blaine, Mrs. W. D. PATTERSON of Marysville, D. L. THOMAS of Fruita, Colo., Mrs. C. N. KIRKWOOD of Marysville, B. J. THOMAS of Marysville, A. E. THOMAS of Norman, Okla., Miss Nannie THOMAS of De Beque, Colo., and Mrs. R. W. CRANE of Marysville. She is also survived by one sister who lives in Wisconsin, twenty-two grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Mrs. THOMAS was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church and was also a member of the Knights and Ladies of Security and the W. R. C. lodges. She was a splendid wife and mother and a kind and obliging neighbor and the news of her death will be received with sorrow by the many friends of the family all over Marshall county.

Contributed by Dianne Richards


Josiah THOMAS was born in Wales Dec. 3rd 1851 and died at Home Kansas, Friday January 19, 1906. The deceased moved to this country from Wales with his parents when but a child of two years of age; the family settling in the state of Wisconsin, here he was brought up and educated. Taking up the work of school teaching he did efficient and successful work in the public schools of Wisconsin and state of Missouri to which latter state he removed in 1876 and in the same year he was united in marriage with Miss Maggie FRANCES, his now bereaved widow. Mr. THOMAS leaves besides his wife four daughters, Mrs. Birdie AVIS of Blue Rapids, Ks., Nellie, Maud and Grace THOMAS who reside at the parental home; four children Merlin, Ethel, John Ray and Hugh Leverne having preceeded him to the better world.

Mr. THOMAS moved from Missouri to the vicinity of Home, KS., when he took up residence on a farm until about nine years ago when he moved to the town of Home and engaged in the mercantile business being soon after appointed Post Master which position he filled to the entire satisfaction of the patrons of the office until his death.

As a citizen Josiah THOMAS was one of the most highly respected and most generally beloved of his community Public spirited and liberal, he spared neither time nor means to further the interests of the community in which he lived.

As a business man by close attention to business, strict integrity and kindly treatment to all, he achieved a worthy success when in last May that terrible fire which swept Home almost out of existance, he lost heavily but with brave fortitude he at once set about to rebuild and to continue his business, this he had done and was fast regaining his former place in business when the band of death summoned him hence.

About thirty-five years ago Mr. THOMAS was converted and united with the church of Jesus Christ. His christian life was at once devoted consistent and beautiful, he was superintendant of the Sunday School for many years besides holding other offices in the church all of which he filled to the satisfaction and delight of his pastors and of the community. His home was ever the home of the pastor and the christian workers, his means were given in anunstined measure for the cause he loved so well.

The funeral was conducted from the Methodist Episcopal church of which he had long been a member. Conducted by his pastor the Rev. J. B. GIBSON assisted by the Rev. Dr. LEEPER of Washington, Ks. a former pastor. A large concourse of people gathered to pay the last tribute of respect to his remains.

The I.O.O.F. lodge of Home of which he was an honered member attended in a body with a number of visitors from Beatie and Marysville.

Mr. Asa THOMAS of Lone Wolf O. T. a brother of the deceased was present at he funeral, another brother and three sisters, together with his aged father now above ninety years of age, most of whom live in Wisconsin, were not able to be present on account of long distance.

The bereaved family enjoy the profound sympathy of the entire community.

Contributed by Dianne Richards

Mary Ellen Trumble

Mrs. Mary Ellen Trumble, wife of W.W. Trumble, was born at LaPorte, Indiana, January 13, 1847, died at the City hospital at Junction City, Kansas, January 28, 1915, at the age of 68 years and 15 days. Mary Ellen Butler was united in marriage to W.W. Trumble March 23rd, 186l, at Geneva, Wisconsin, and moved to Nebraska the same year. In 1876, they moved to Marysville, Kansas and since that time have lived in Kansas. To this union were born eleven children--4 boys and 7 girls, 3 boys have preceded her to the great beyond. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, W.W. Trumble, of Greenleaf, and eight children--Mrs. David Rhineboalt, Mrs. W.H. Stanford, Mrs. John Park and C. Gustave Trumble, of Greenleaf, Mrs. Ellen Graves of Junction City, Kansas, Mrs. Geo. Park of Solomon, Kansas, Mrs Minnie Cook of Beatrice, Nebraska and Mrs. Agnes Dumont of Brownsville, Texas, and two brothers and one sister, thirty-one grandchildren and a host of friends and neighbors to mourn her loss.


William Warren Trumble was born in Orangeville, New York, November 11, 1839, and died at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, November 6, 1919, lacking but five days of being eighty years of age. He spent his boyhood days in New York state, but came west when Kansas was young and home steaded near Marysville. He spent the most of his life in this state, leaving here about four years ago to make his home with his daughter, Mrs. Agnes Gilbert of Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 1860 he was united in marriage with Miss Ellen Butler. To them were born eleven children eight of whom survive him, viz: Mrs. Lizzie Ryhnbolt, Mrs. Lee Stanford, Mrs. John Parks and C.G. Trumble of Greenleaf, Kansas; Mrs. Agnes Gilbert of Stillwater, Oklahoma, Mrs. Geo. Park of Solomon Kansas, Mrs. Minnie Cook of Beatrice, Nebraska, and Mrs. Ellen Graves of Fort Sill, Oklahoma. There are also thirty-two grand children and thirteen great grand children. There are two sisters and one brother, Mrs. Chas. Barthow of Marysville, Mrs. John Prettyman and Quince Trumble of Tacoma, Washington. The good wife and mother passed away nearly five years ago. His long life closed without a struggle. He went out like a sleep. He told his children that he had made peace with God and was anxious to go. He had been very lonely since the departure of the companion with whom he had lived for nearly fifty years and who had for several years been a cripple. There will be a uniting now. Here in an inn a stranger dwelt, here joy and grief by turns he felt; poor dwelling, now we close the door, the task is o'er, the sojourned returns no more. The funeral services were held on Monday, November 10, 1919, at the Methodist Espiscopal church conducted by Rev. C. Cray Jones. Burial was made at Mt. James cemetery. The family has the sympathy of the community.

Contributed by Kenneth Trumble


From "The Lincoln Star," Lincoln, NE, Monday, Aug. 28, 1961

Mrs. Georgia Tucker, 56, of 4718 Pioneer, died Sunday. Born in Blue Rapids, Kansas, she spent her childhood at Waterville and Horton, Kans. She had lived in Lincoln since 1929. Survivors: husband, Walter W.; sons, Leroy W., Orin Wayne, Ronald George, all of lincoln, Walter Richard of the U.S. Navy and Marshall E. Taylor of Lincoln; daughters: Miss Minnie Marie Taylor of San Diego, California, Mrs. Herbert (Kathryn) Miller of Lincoln, and Mrs. DeWayne (Janet) Wehling of Cary, Illinois; brothers: Oliver and Everett McGinnis, bot of Lincoln; sisters: Vera "Goldie" McGinnis and Mrs. Florence Mentgen, both of Lincoln; seven grandchildren. Umbargers.



(Unnamed newspaper)

Died--Friday evening, May 15, 1903. Gladys Elenor, the infant daugher of Mr. and Mrs. T. C. Tucker, aged 7 months 1 week and 1 day. Funeral services were held at the Hatten school house and the little body was laid in the cemetery north of town on Sunday.



(Beattie Palladium, Aug. 17, 1900)

Saturday evening near 10 o'clock occured the death of little Mae Tucker, oldest daughter of T. C. and Addie Tucker. Her death was a shock and sorrow to all. She had been with her grandmother the greater part of the summer and was the sunshine, the pet, the idol of their home. No one who had seen her light hearted unselfish ways, who had watched her trip on errands for grandma and auntie, who had seen her rush to meet papa and mamma and little sister, or call to brother Dave, who had had her cheery good morning with a bright happy smile, could fail to love the dear child and wonder at her sweet womanly ways. Yet death claimed her and our hearts are sad and lonely. It was her wish that her aunt's wedding should not be delayed. We are constantly reminded of her unselfishness. She was laid to rest Sunday afternoon beside her baby brother for whom she had never ceased to mourn.

We know she is now a glorified spirit in Heaven. Sleep darling take thy rest, Angelss every guart thee. Though our hearts are sad and lone, darked is our happy home, in Heaven we will meet thee.


(unnamed paper)

The sudden death of a young person, the cutting down of one in the very bloom of youth, is calculated to arrest the attention of the people of a community to a greater degree than a death after long warning by sickness. Thus in the opening of her young life, Sadie May Tucker, eldest child of Thomas Tucker and wife, passed away at the age of 12 years, dying at 10 o'clock,. Saturday evening, August 11, 1900, at their home in Richland. She had been sick but a few days and wa snot thought to be in danger until a few hours before death. Rev. Pasley conducted religious services in the grove at the house and the burial was in the Beattie cemetery.



(Marysville Advocate, May 4 1944)

She Spent Most of Life in the Frankfort, Beattie Areas

Mrs. Thomas C. Tucker died at her home in Frankfort Saturday morning after a lingering illness.

She had lived in Frankfort for several years having gone there from Beattie where she spent the greater part of her life.

The funeral was Sunday afternoon at the home, followed by burial in the Beattie cemetery.

Surviving, besides her husband, are two sons, W. C. Tucker, Frankfort, and Pvt. Wayne Tucker, stationed at Las Vegas, N.M.; and three daughters, Mrs. W. A. Brown, Frankfort; Mrs. Roy Miller, Beattie; and Mrs. Clarence Schrock, Newton.



(Scott City Kansas News Chronicle
Thurs. May 23, 1944)

Was Prominent Farmer Just Over Into Edge of Logan County since 1925

Theron David Tucker, known to his friends as just plain "Dave," died Saturday at Larned where he had gone for an operation. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Methodist church in this city in charge of the pastor, Rev. Bethel Cook, and interment was in the Scott City cemetery.

Mr. Tucker, son of Thomas Clark and Addie Alice Tucker was born at Beattie April 21, 1887, and was 56 years, 8 months and 27 days of age at the time of his death.

He was united in marriage to Sefrona May Stedman at Summerfield May 13, 1906. To this union five children were born, all of whom survive. They are Clarence of Anaheim, Calif., Mrs. May Whitham of Los Angeles, Calif., Mrs. Dollie Hamilton of Boulder City, Nev., and Mrs. Ella Mast and Roy of this city.

In the spring of 1925 Mr. Tucker, with his family, moved to south Logan county, just across the line from Scott county, north of Pence. Part of his land laid in Scott county, as the fence south of the house was on the county line. He traded in this city, took part in all county enterprises, and was a strong member of the Pence church which he and his family always attended. As a boy of 15 he was baptized in the Brethren church, and remained a devout Christian the remainder of his life.

Besides his wife and children, he is survived by his father and mother, who live at Beattie; two brothers, William of Frankfort and Wayne who is in the army and is stationed at Las Vegas, N.M.; three sisters, Mrs. Clarence Schrock of Newton, Mrs. Alice Miller of Beattie, and Mrs. Dora Brown of Franklfort; also four grandsons, two granddaughters and many friends both here and in Marshall County.



(Frankfort Index)

Thomas Clark Tucker was born February 10, 1865 at Marshall town, Iowa, and passed away at Frankfort, Kansas December 9, 1950 at the age of 75 years, mine months and 29 days.

In 1866 the family moved to Pawnee County, Nebraska, and in 1872 to Marshall County, Kansas settling in Guittard Township. In 1878 they moved to Beattie, Kansas, where the deceased resided until coming to Frankfort about fifteen years ago.

On July 17, 1886 he was united in marriage to Miss Addie Dabner, who passed away in 1944. To this union eleven children were born, five of whom survive their father.

At an early age he was united with the Christian Church at Beattie. He was also a member of the Beattie Woodman Lodge. For a number of years he operated a grocery store and market in Beattie until his advancing age and failing health forced his retirement.

Everyone who knew Mr. Tucker was impressed by his cheerful disposition and his ability to see only to good in those with whom he came in contact. He made friends wherever he went and his loyalty, understanding, and keen sense of humor enabled him to keep them. During his prolonged illness he was a patient sufferer and maintained a lively interest in world affairs. Being of the old pioneer stock he understood that nothing worthwhile is ever attained without a struggle and where the younger generation might become discouraged, he kept his faith that all would be well.

He leaves to mourn his pasing three daughters, Mrs. Alma Schrock of Green, Iowa; Mrs. Alice Miller of Frankfort, and Mrs. W. A. Brown of Port Angeles, Washington; two sons, William C. Tucker of Frankfort and Thomas Wayne Tucker of Marysville; seventeen grandchildren and twenty great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at the Padden Funeral Chapel on Monday afternoon December 11, and burial was in the Beattie cemetery.

Contributed by Dorothy Bailey


Beattie Kansas Newspaper
December 11, 1942

John Volle, son of Adam and Katherine Volle was born in Mt. Pulaski, Illinois, January 10, 1869. When he was but a boy he came with his parents to the Summerfield community and the son farmed in the same community where he grew to manhood. Mr. and Mrs. Volle moved to Summerfield November 1 of this year after having lived on their farm in Richland township for 41 years

On October 12, 1892, John Volle and Alice Sharpe of Axtell were married. Their golden wedding anniversary was observed only a few weeks ago. Six children were born to them. A daughter, Enid, passed away four years ago, and another daughter died in infancy.

Mr. Volle is survived by his wife and four children; Mrs. Edith Schilling of St. Gregor, Saskatchewan, Canada; Arthur Volle of Beattie; and Harold and John Volle of Cairo, MO. He is also survived by fourteen grandchildren; four brothers, Jake, William, Albert and Henry, all of Summerfield; three sisters, Mrs. Polly Tucker of Lincoln, Nebr., Mrs. Katie Shue of Formoso, and Mrs. Clara Shue, Twin Falls, Idaho.

Contributed by Dorothy Bailey


Geraldine Helen Wagoner, 79, of Grants Pass, died Thursday, Nov. 1, 1990, at Royal Gardens Health Care Facility. Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Slawson's Chapel of the Valley Funeral Home. She was born May 7, 1911, in Blue Rapids, Kan. She lived in Independence, Ore., from 1943 to 1957, moving to Colorado Springs, Colo. She moved to Hemet, Calif., in 1973 and to Grants Pall in 1983. She loved to fish. Survivors include two sons, James Edward Schell of Hollywood, Calif., and Larry Robert Schell of Grants Pass; a daughter, Bonnie Lee Wagoner of Hemet; and a grandson, Daniel Richard Schell of Manassas, Va. Her husband, Charlie Wagoner, died in 1985.
Grants Pass Daily Courier (Oregon) - 6 November 1990

Contributed by James A. Nethery

Georgia Belle (Goin) Wanklyn

died 20 May 1975 in, KS. Obituary from the Shreveport Times May 22, 1975 typed as written follows:


Mrs. Peter WANKLYN of Frankfort, Kans., the sister of two Shreveporters, died at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in a Marysville, Kans., hospital.

Services are pending for the Beattie, Kans., native.

Mrs. WANKLYN is survived by a son, Kenneth WANKLYN of Frankfort, a daughter, Mrs. Marvin RICHARDSON of Winifred, Kans., a brother, L. T. GOIN of Shreveport; three sisters, Mrs. D. N. WHATLEY of Shreveport, Mrs. Earl MORGAN of St Joseph, MO, and Mrs. Perry STONE of Jena; and four grandchildren.

Contributed by

Contributed by Dianne Richards


Died:--Ella, third daughter of J. N. and Mary J. Welsh, Wednesday, Nov. 28th (1894).
The deceased was born at Corning, Iowa, Aug. 5, 1871, and was 23 years, 3 months and 23 days old at time of death. Ella was well known in this vicinity and at Liberty and Barneston, and we liked wherever known. She taught school for several years, but was forced to give up that occupation last Christmas on account of her health. In company with her sister Frankie, she took a trip to Colorado this past summer which did not benefit her any. The end has been expected for weeks, but that does not make the parting easier. The funeral was set for 11 o'clock this morning. The bereaved family have the sincere sympathy of the entire community.

Contributed by Scott Lee


ohn Newton Welsh, proprietor of the Summerfield Hotel, died Monday evening (Nov. 10, 1902--my note) shortly after 9 o'clock. He had been in ill helth for several months and had been slowly sinking. Hope for his recovery was abandoned about a month ago and since then his death has been expected, but for his strong constitution he would have passed away sooner. Mr. Welsh's death was due to Brights disease.
He was born at Northfield, Mich., September 24, 1826 where he grew to manhood and afterwards married his present wife, Miss Mary J. Lount near the same place on the 13th day of June 1866. They afterwards moved to Iowa where they resided for a time and later on moved to near Wymore, Neb., residing there until they moved here in 1890, when they assumed charge of the hotel and have been conducting it continuously since then. Mr. Welsh was married twice and to his first wife were born four children, one living, John Welsh, of Topeka, who was here to attend the funeral.
To his present wife eight children were born, three boys and five girls: Mrs. Keith of Havana, Ill, Mrs. A. L. Burns of Seneca, Mrs. True Jordon of Wakita, Okla., and Ella who died a few years ago. Harvey and Henry are married and live here. Lount and Susie are at home. Mr. Welsh was a soldier of the civil war and saw service in the 12th Michigan volunteer infantry. He enlisted soon after the beginning of the war and served a term of three years.
He had a very strong memory and often told stories of the war, which were his favorite pastime.
The funeral services were held at the house Wednesday afternoon and were conducted by Rev. W. A. Sexton of the M.E. church. The funeral was largely attended.

Contributed by Scott Lee

W. P. Wetherby

The Axtell Anchor
March 14, 1890, pg. 4, Column 3

W. P. Wetherby died suddenly Friday morning at his home five miles southeast of Axtell. He had been to the barn and done the chores and coming back to the house complained of not feeling well and died in a few minutes.

Note: This obituary was on the same page as another contributed one, added here to help a researcher who might be looking for information about Mr. Wetherby.

Allie Wilson

The Irving Leader, Feb 6, 1903 (Friday) page 3 col 4.

Going Home:  On Thursday night, January 29, occurred the death of Miss Allie Wilson.  For 3 years Miss Wilson had been suffering with lung trouble and most of the time during the last four months she had been confined to her bed vainly battling with the disease.  The funeral was at her home at 2 pm Saturday January 31.  The sermon was preached by Rev. Clyde L. Kuhn.  The interment was in the Irving Cemetary.  Miss Wilson was born near Irving on the 10th of March 1870.  This has been heer home since childhood,  and in this comunity she has lived out her young life.  Here were formed the ties of friendship, and here was fashened the character that shone forth in her sweet womanhood.  At the age of 16 she gave her heart life to God and has always had a bright Christian experience.  Patient in suffering, hopeful and happy in the hour of death, her faith in Christ was unwavering and strong to her, death was going home.  And the sorrow of separation from loved ones camee far short of the joy of a richer, fuller life just the beginning. The sympathy of her friends is extended to her mother and brothers and sisters, to whom "Heaven is nearer and Christ is dearer" than ever before.

This is a poem that was published with the obit.

To the Memory of Allie.
Once more into this Earthly garden.
Just at the close of day.
The Death Angel softly entered
and carried a fair rose away.

A flower in thee dawn of young womanhood
Cut down by the dear Fathers hand,
And carried away to Heaven,
To bloom in that better land.

A life, sweet, pure, and noblee;
A soul as spotless as snow;
Gone from this dark earth forever,
To the land where the bright waters flow.

Always bright and cheerful and happy,
And in sickness and suffering and pain;
Her face was like a golden sunbeam,
For her smiles were over ( can't read the rest of the line)

But alas! her place in the (can't read the line)
And heer voice is forever still;
We miss heer, ali, so sadly,
But twas the dear Lords will.

He wanted this soul for his kingdom,
And there is that land of the blest,
After Earthly struggles are over,
Forever to sweetly rest.

We forget in our grief and sorrow,
Our loneliness and pain,
That the way of the Lord
And our loss is but her gain

We would not bring her back, Oh, no
From that beautiful heaven of
For the seperation will not be long,
A few brief years is the life at best,

And when this life is ended,
And we stand on the Golden Shore,
We shall meet with Allie our loved one,
and there we shall dwell evermore.

It is signed N.L.

Contributed by Laurie Pamiza


Mrs. Francis (Cox) Williams was born May 1, 1832 at Jacksonville, Illinois and departed this life March 2, 1924, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hamilton, at the age of 91years, 10 months, and 1 day.

Her parents moved from Illinois to Iowa when she was 4 years old. There they remained 7 years. They then moved to Jackson County, Missouri. On April 14, 1852, she married Nathaniel Williams. To this union three daughters were born, Mrs. Mary A. Ricker of Waynoka, Oklahoma; Mrs. Nancy J. Wise and Mrs. Sarah C. Hamilton both of Waterville, Kansas. They moved to Waterville in 1901 and Mr. Williams died January 29, 1906. After their marriage they united with the Baptist Church and after his death she united with the Luthern Church. For the past 12 years, she has been totally blind. Though deprived of natural vision, The Word of God, which she had memorized in youth became more and more precious to her. She was a woman of prayer and profound faith. Her character was sweetened and strengthened by her loyalty and love for the Savior and her influence for truth and righteousness will continue to abide. She leaves to mourn 3 daughters, grand, great grand, and great-great grand children and a very large circle of friends.

Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at the Luthern Church by Reverend C. J. Ferster. Internment at Riverside Cemetery, Waterville, Kansas.

Waterville Telegraph, Friday, March 7, 1924

Contributed by Cheryl Edwards


Nathaniel Williams died in his home of this city Tuesday, January 30, 1906, just before noon. We should say of such a one that he passed into eternal life. He had been failing for many months, but only confined to his home for the last two. His illness was of such a nature that he could not recover and very painful, so all of his friends were glad when it was said he was at rest.
Mr. Williams was born in Cass County, Missouri, December 8, 1833 and came to Kansas in 1865. He settled on his homestead six miles northwest of this place 37 years ago. He leaves a widow who shared the hardships of frontier life with him and all his joys and sorrows for over half a century, nearly 53 years, and three daughters, Mrs. Samuel Hamilton; Mrs John Wise; and Mrs. Ricker. Grand children and great grand children. He has a host of friends and no one ever seemed to have an unkind word for him.
Funeral services were held in the Luthern Church Thursday at 2 o'clock. The sermon was preached by Reverend I. B. Heisey, Reverend Thomas of the M. E. Church and Reverend Ralph Livers. The text was 1 Cor. xv, 6, "Some Are Fallen Asleep."
The deceased united with the Baptist Church in early manhood, and has lived a consistent Christian life for half a century.
His remains were laid at rest in the Riverside Cemetery, Waterville, Kansas.
Waterville Telegraph, Friday, February 9th, 1906

Contributed by Cheryl Edwards

Mrs. Sophia Witt Lived Nearly 50 Years On Farm

--As appeared in The Axtell Standard, Thursday, March 31, 1955

Mrs. Sophia Witt passed away at her home Thursday morning, Mar. 24, 1955, aged 80 years, 10 months and 13 days. She had been in poor health for some time and just recently sustained a fall which fractured her ankle, adding to her infirmity.

Sophia Friedericka Christine Huebner Witt was born May 11, 1874 in Mechlevgburg, Germany. At the age of 14 years she accompanied her father, sister and brother to America in 1888, the family settling on a farm near Falls City, Nebraska.

On March 7, 1895 she was united in marriage with Gustav Witt and the couple came to Axtell to establish their home on a farm southwest of town. Five children were born to this union, one dying in infancy. The surviving children are Ella Ida, Mrs. F. S. Deem of Lawrence; No rman F. of Boulder, Colo.; Wilson G. of near Axtell; Christine Dale, Mrs. Wm. M. Hubbell of Denver, Colo. There are also three grandchildren, one great grandchild and one brother, Fred Huebner of Dearing, Kansas, surviving. Mr. Witt died in 1938.

Mrs. Witt continued to make her home on the farm with her son, Wilson, and wife, until 1943, when she moved to Axtell. The Witt farm home was the scene of many happy gatherings, Mother Witt rearing her family with all the love and care a mother can devot e to the Christian welfare and happiness of her loved ones. She was a faithful member of the Axtell Presbyterian church since 1908.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, March 27 at the Presbyterian church, the Rev. Albert Mygatt, pastor, officiating. Mrs. Velma Risher was organist; Miss Elsie Rothfelder and Mrs. E. W. Bergmann sang "Safe in the Arms of Jesus" and "No Night There."

Interment was made in Rose Hill cemetery. Pall bearers were Paul Landreth, George Jorgensen, John Bigalow, E. W. Irvine, Walter Mason and Dr. S. V. Hanna. The Smith Funeral Home was in charge.

Submitted by Beth Cook


Dr. Charles Enos Woodward, age 42, died at St Francis hospital last night. Mr. Woodward was a dentist here, having been associated with D. Creditor over the Holland theater. He has been in Wichita a year, coming from Vermillion, Kan. He is survived by his wife Mrs. Myrtle Woodward (Warren) of Vermillion, Kan.; two sons, Donald and Bernard and a daughter, Bernice, his parents, two brothers and two sisters. The body was taken to Vermillion at 10:30 o'clock Wednesday night for services and burial.
The Wichita Beacon, Thursday, July 8, 1920

Contributed by Forrest Warren Woodward


(Name of newspaper uncertain,
Marysville or Topeka

Cora Wuester, 87, former long-time Centralia area resident, died February 24, 1988, at Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.  She was born April 26, 1900, at Beattie, Ks., daughter of Roley and Nora Elizabeth (Totten) Pauley.
    She attended a country school northeast of Beattie and graduated from Beattie High School in 1918.  In 1917 she was awarded a first place gold medal in a county-wide oratory competition in Marshall County.  Upon graduation from high school she began teaching in country schools in Marshall County.
    On August 17, 1922, at Phillipsburg, Ks., she married Terry Wuester.  They farmed in Marshall County and she continued to teach, first in the country schools and then in the Beattie Public School.  After the birth of their only child, Terry J. Wuester Jr., on December 6, 1930, the family moved to a farm north of Centralia in 1934.  From the time of their move to Centralia until the mid-1960's, they farmed extensively in Nemaha and Marshall Counties and in western Nebraska.  I
In 1957, while en route to western Nebraska, Cora was severely burned in a truck accident.  After selling the farmland in both western Nebraska and Marshall County in the late 1960's, they continued to farm in the Centralia area.
    While living near Centralia, Cora was active in several community functions.  She was a member of the Centralia Congregational Church for over 40 years.  She was also a member of the Reading Circle and Eastern Star.
    After more than 52 years of marriage, her husband Terry Wuester, was tragically killed in an automobile accident near Fessenden, North Dakota, on April 30, 1975.  Cora was injured in the accident.  She then moved to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, to live with her son and his family. 
There, she attended Victoria Baptist Church, vacationed with her son's family and was actively involved in her grandchildren's lives.
    Cora Wuester is survived by her son, Terry J. Wuester of Victoria; and three grandchildren.
    She was predeceased by three infant siblings and by her sisters Della Pauley in 1928, and Elsie Simpson in 1969; and by her brothers, Ray Pauley in 1967, Jesse Pauley in 1976 and Wayne Pauley in 1956.
    Funeral services were held at Hayes Funeral Home, Centralia, at 2:30 pm March 1.  Rev. David Logue officiated.  Kathryn Hightower was organist and vocalists were Jeannie Flentie and Arlene Smith.
    Pallbearers were Merle Barnes, Mike Barnes, Willis Barnes, Virgil Kelley, Emet Hightower and Rudy Krebs.  Burial was in Union Cemetary, Beattie.
    A memorial service will be held later in Victoria, Canada.



Feb 27, 1975 Marysville Advocate
Wuester Rite Held Saturday
[Helen Ruth Meyer Wuester, April 18, 1912 - Feb 16, 1975]

    A memorial service for Mrs. Glen Wuester, 62, Beattie, was held Saturday at the Beattie School, conducted by the Rev. Larry Fry, the Rev. James Wright and the Rev. Brice Gotschall.
    Mrs. Wuester died Feb 16, 1975 at Community Memorial Hospital, to which she had been transferred the previous Monday from the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City.
    The former Helen Ruth Meyer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Meyer, was born April 18, 1912, at Anthony.  She graduated from Anthony High School and Kansas State College in 1935.
    She taught school several terms, and also served as county home economics agent of Marshall and Dickinson Counties.
    June 1, 1954, she married Glen Wuester of Beattie.
    She was a member of the United Methodict Church; Chapter BB PEO; Eastern Star, Beattie Study Club, Beattie Better Builders Unit; Marysville Business and Professional Women's Club, National Retired Teachers Assn., Delta Kappa
Gamma and was one of the organizers of the Marshall County Historical Society.
    Her parents and three brothers preceded her in death.
    Survivors are her husband, Glen Wuester of the home at Beattie; two sisters, Mrs. Florence Hilts and Miss Irene Meyer, Wichita; nieces and nephews.
    Mrs. Larry Fry was pianist at the services.  Sister Rita Claire sang "Morning Has Broken" accompanying herself on the guitar and Mrs. Dennis O'Neil sang "There's a Long, Long Trail," accompanied by Mrs. Fry.
    Kinsley's was in charge of the arrangements.



[Marysville paper, I think]
[June 8, 1888 - January 17, 1975]
Mrs J.W. Wuester, Widow of Home City Banker, Dies

    Mrs. J.W. Wuester, 86, Home City, widow of a Home City banker died Friday, January 17, 1975, at a Beatrice, Ne., hospital, after an extended illness.
    Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2 p.m. from the Kinsley chapel.  The Rev. Larry R. Fry, of the Beattie United Methodist church, officiated at the rites.  Burial was in the Marysville cemetary with arranagements by Kinsleys.
    Rubie Hawk, daughter of Wallace B. and Mina Sheldon Hawk, was born June 8, 1888, at Beattie.  She was graduated from Beattie High School, then attended Liberty Ladies' College in Liberty, Mo.
    She was married in 1910 to J.W. Wuester, who predeceased her in death in1942.  A son and daughter also predeceded her in death.
    Survivors are one daughter, Blanche, Mrs. E.D. Praulle; two grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
    Organist at the services was Miss Marie Grauer.  Pallbearers were Ed Kabriel, Bert Schwartz, Francis Hardman, Norman Severs, Walter Allerheiligen and Cyril Rilinger.


Topeka Journal - (I think date is July 29, 1996)

Terry J. Wuester died July 20, 1996 in a Seattle hospital. He was born near Beattie on December 6, 1930, the only child of Terry and Cora Wuester. He grew up on his parents' farm north of Centralia.

Terry attended elementary school and high school in Centralia. After graduating from Centralia High School in 1948, he enrolled at Washburn University, and later transferred to Bethany Nazarene College (now Southern Nazarene university) in Oklahoma. He received a B.A. in history in 1952.

Terry learned to fly and enjoyed it so much he went on to log some 2,000-plus hours, including time as a flight instructor himself. He taught high school in Maitland, MO, from 1952 to 1957. While working full-time on the farm he earned a MA in Education from the University of Missouri, Kansas City, in 1956. In 1956-57 he was chief flight instructor at the Maryville, MO airport, which he operated.

In 1958, Terry became principal at West Nodaway High School, Burlington Junction, MO.

On June 21, 1959, he married Norma Lee Melvin.

Terry began to consider becoming a lawyer. On the flip of a coin, he decided to enroll at the University of Kansas School of Law in the fall of 1962 at the age of 31. He received a JD with honors in 1966. He went to Yale University, where he earned an LL.M. in 1967.

The family moved from New haven, CT, to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1967, where Terry taught law at the University of Saskatchewan. He taught there until 1975, taking a year off to work with the Federal Law Reform Commission in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Although he was a full-time law professor he still continued to work on the farm in the summers and to article with the Saskatoon law firm of Wedge, McKercher, McKercher and Stack, and he was admitted to the Law Society of Saskatchewan in 1973.

In 1975, Professor Wuester was asked to move to Victoria, British Columbia to be one of the charter members of the Faculty of Law at the University of Victoria. The did move and Terry articled with the law firm of Crease and Company, and was alter admitted to the Law Society of British Columbia. He taught at the University of Victoria from 1975 until April 1996. He was also a founding member of the Board of trustees of the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary in Cochrane, Alberta, Canada.

He was awarded the Master Teacher Award by graduating students five times in the last nine years, the only professor to win the award more than once. He was one of three recipients of the university Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Teaching. On June 8, 1996, at the University of victoria's spring convocation, he received the William Paul McClure Kennedy Award, the only national honor and prize for excellence in law teaching, awarded annually to one law professor in Canada. When he accepted the award, he announced that he was suffering from an inoperable brain tumor, but he vowed to "fight it all the way," and he did.

Survivors include his wife, Norma, of the home in Victoria, British Columbia; a daughter, Terry Wuester Milne of Southfield, MI; a son, Charles of British Columbia; a son by a previous marriage, Terry Hanna, of Boise, ID, and two grandsons.

Throughout his lifetime, he was a member of several Baptist Churches.

Funeral services were held Saturday, July 27, at the Hayes-Popkess Funeral Home in Centralia, conducted by the Rev. Steve Melvin. Organist was Lola Warren. Casketbearers were Mike Barnes, John Marriott, Bill Melvin, Orville Melvin, Mark Milne and Homer Ulmer. Burial was in Beattie Union Cemetery.

Donations may be made to the Terry J. Wuester Memorial Fund and sent in care of the Hayes-Popkess Funeral Home.

A memorial service will be held in Victoria, British Columbia on Saturday, September 28, 1996 at the law school.


'The Woo' made law live for students (Victoria Times Colonist, July 21, 1996)

If Terry Wuester had written his own obituary, he would have described himself as "toes up in the cemetery."

The popular UVic law professor, who passed away Saturday [July 20, 1996] at age 65, was known for his irreverent sense of humor.

His family says he died peacefully, in a coma, having been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor just two months ago.

Affectionately known as "the Woo," Wuester retied from the university this spring after teaching law for 29 years. It's estimated he taught close to 1,600 student while at UVic and they adored him for his ability to explain complex ideas in a simple, but animated way.

As a licensed attorney, Wuester was no ivory-tower academics, preferring to use real-life examples in his teaching. He was also famous for his colorful turns of phrase, which his students "Wuesterisms." Prisons were "Crown's crowbar hotel," and people didn't die. They were "toes up in the cemetery."

He was so well liked the law faculty's Master Teaching Award, which he won five times, was retired with him. The Terry Wuester Master Teaching Award was established in its place.

The 1983 graduating class recently established a bursary in his name, and in June of this year, Wuester was further honored with the William Paul McClure Kennedy Memorial Award, a national award recognizing excellence in teaching law.

"3He truly loved the law and he truly loved his students," sums up his colleague, UVic law professor Lyman Robinson.

Often arriving at the law school at 6 a.m., "he spent hours preparing for his courses, even ones he'd taught for 20 years," noted daughter Terry Wuester Milne, an attorney in Michigan.

Born and raised in Kansas as a farm boy, Wuester always wanted to be a teacher. After earning degrees in history and administration, he worked as a high school teacher, principal and superintendent in the United States. He then returned to school to study law at the University of Kansas and at Yale.

His first job teaching law was at the University of Saskatchewan. In 1975, he moved to Victoria to become a founding member of UVic's law school.

A devout Baptist, Wuester will be buried in Kansas, as was his request. His family is planning a memorial service, which may be postponed until the fall when students return to class.

He is survived by his wife Norma, son Charles, daughter Terry and two grandchildren.


Obituary - Terry J. Wuester (Victoria Times Colonist, July 23, 1996)

WUESTER - Professor Terry J., died on July 20, 1996, in a Seattle Hospital. He was born near Beattie, Kansas, on Decemebr 6, 1930, the only child of Terry and Cora Wuester. He earned four degrees, including an LL.M. from Yale University. He taught law at the University of Saskatchewan from 1967 until 1975, taking a year off to work with the Federal Law Reform Commission in Ottawa. In 1975, Professor Wuester moved to Victoria to be one of the charter members of the Faculty of Law at UVic. For many years, he was also a member of the Board of trustees of the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary in Cochrane, Alberta.

An inspiring and dedicated professor, "The Woo" was awarded the "Master Teacher Award" by graduating students five times in the last nine years. In 1995 he was one of the three recipients of the Uvic Alumni Association Award for Excellence in teaching. At UVic's spring convocation on June 8, 1996, Professor Wuester received the William Paul McClure Kennedy Award, the only national honour and prize for excellence in law teaching -- it is awarded annually to one law professor in Canada. When he accepted the award, he announced that he was suffering from an inoperable brain tumor, but he vowed to "fight it all the way" --and he did.

Professor Wuester is survived by his wife, Norma; by his daughter, Terry Wuester Milne (Dr. Mark Milne); by his son, Charles Wuester, and by his two grandsons, Justin William Spencer Milne and Jason David Wuester Milne. Throughout his lifetime, Professor Wuester was a member of several Baptist churches, and he will be sadly missed by many church friends. He is also fondly remembered by hundreds of lawyers across Canada who owe some part of their legal education to "The Woo."

The family wishes to thank: Dr. Robert DiNapoli of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; Dr. Lynne Taylor, Dr. Paul Weiden and Dr. Mark Hafermann of the Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle; Dr, Brian Karchut and Dr. Ron Guy of Victoria; the nurses and support staff on floors 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15 and 17 of the Virginia Mason Hospital; and the many anonymous people who donated the blood and platelets he received. During his last days, he and his family appreciated the prayers, thoughts and encouragement of hundreds of friends and well-wishers.

A funeral service will be held in Centralia, Kansas on July 27, with burial near Beattie, Kansas. A memorial service will be held in Victoria on Saturday, September 28, at 2:00 p.m. in Room 150, Begbie Building (the law school) at UVic. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to either: The Terry J. Wuester Memorial Fund (cheques should be made payable to the University of Victoria) Faculty of Law, University of Victoria, PO Box 2400, Victoria, B.C., V8W 3H7; or to The Terry J. Wuester Memorial Fund (cheques should be made payable to the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary), Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary, PO Box 512, Cochrane, Alberta, T0L 0W0.


TERRY WUESTER, SR. (Oct 16, 1899 - April 30, 1975)

Centralia - Terry Wuester, Sr., 75, Centralia, was killed Wednesday [April 30, 1975] in a traffic accident at Fessenden, N.D.

He was born October 16, 1899, at Beattie. He was a farmer and had lived in the Centralia community 40 years.

He is survived by his widow, the former Cora Pauley of the home; a son, Terry Wuester Jr., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Davis, Chelan, Wash., and Mrs. Pauline Bell, Beattie; two brothers, Glen Wuester, Beattie, and Tom Wuester, Lillis, and two grandchildren.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Congregational Church at Centralia. Burial will be in the Beattie Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, Hayes Funeral Homes, Centralia, is in charge of arrangements.

Crash kills Centralia man. [Terry Wuester, Sr.Fessenden, N.D.

- Terry Wuester, 75, Centralia, KS., was killed Wednesday when the van truck he was driving collided with a semi-trailer truck on the outskirts of this North Dakota town. Authorities said the two vehicles sideswiped at an underpass.



(Marysville Advocate, July 20, 1978)

Wuester services conducted July 12

Services for Thomas Jerome Wuester, 70, who was fatally injured in a tractor accident on July 8, were conducted from Padden Funeral Home Chapel, Frankfort, July 12 by the Rev. Carl Dekat.

Interment was in St. Malachy's Cemetery, Beattie. The son of the late Charles and Nora Madden Wuester, he was born Sept. 27, 1907.

He spent his childhood at the family home north of Beattie, and attended the Orr rural school and Beattie High School.

He farmed for several years, then began working for the Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement.

He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Employees. Since retiring he drove to Washington state every fall and worked in the apple harvests.

He was predeceased in death by his parents and a brother, Terry Wuester.

He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Pauline Bell, Beattie; and Mrs. Mary Davis, Chelan, Wash.; a brother, Glen Wuester, Beattie; his sister-in-law, Mrs. Terry Wuester, Victoria, B,C, Canada; a nephew, Terry J. Wuester, Victoria.

Songs sung at the service were "In the Garden" and "Beyond the Sunset." Casket bearers were Richard Otteeney, Ambrose Rueger, Ray Weinert, Gerald Caffrey, Woodrow A. Reust and Ray A. Mosher.

Contributed by Terry Wuester Milne

Advocate-Democrat 24 Aug 1933
Marysville, Marshall Co., KS

Frank Yarger Dies in Nebraska Aug. 17

    Frank Yarger, 87, a resident of Marysville for many years, died Thursday, August 17, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. E. Wallace at Omaha, Nebr. He had been ill for some time and his death was attributed to paralysis.
    Frank Yarger was born in 1845 in Pennsylvania. He came to Kansas in 1869 and settled at Marysville. In 1887 he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Hardman.
    He is survived by his daughters, Miss Pearl Yarger of Freeport, Illinois, Mrs. Ruth Scott, Mrs. Earl Smith, and Mrs. C. E. Wallace of Omaha, Nebraska and Dan McCarty of Marysville.
    Funeral services were held at the Guthrie Funeral home Saturday afternoon, August 19th and interment was made in the Marysville cemetery.

Contributed by Judy Morgan

Alice (Paxton) Yeatman

(Paper not named--probaby the Advocate)
15 May 1924

Alice Paxton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Paxton of Marysville, Kansas, was born January 29, 1898, at Oketo, Kansas, and died Thursday, May 8, at Tulsa, Oklahoma, at the age of 26 years, 3 months and 9 days.

She was united in marriage to Joseph Yeatman in October, 1921 and soon afterward moved to Tulsa where she resided until her death.

She leaves to mourn her loss, her father and mother, her husband, five brothers and five sisters. The brothers are Ray, Lynn, George, Frank and Earl Paxton; the sisters are Mrs. Bertha Holle, Mrs. Rose DeGroff, Mrs. Sarah Edgar, Mrs. Flossie Johnson and Mrs. Violet Gillespie.

A funeral service was conducted at the house of J. P. Paxton Monday, May 12, at 2:30, and interment was made in Deer Creek cemetery. Rev. F. E. Brooks of the Memorial Presbyterian church conducted the services.

Contributed by Alice Allen

Caroline Yeckel

Marshall County News,
Friday 23 FEB 1917 front page.

     Miss Caroline Yeckel died at the home of Jacob Miller, Monday, February 19th, at 9 o'clock p.m., aged 50 years, 5 months and 7 days, from dropsy, with which she had been suffering for some time.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. Bechtold Wednesday afternoon at 2:30, at the German Lutheran church, of which she was a member.  Interment was in the Marysville cemetery.
     Miss Yeckel was born at St. Julien, Germany, August 19, 1866.  She came to the United States in 1887 and made her home with her brother, at Syracuse, New York, until 1916, when she came to Marysville to live with her sister, Mrs. Jacob Miller.  She leaves one sister and three brothers, Mrs.Jacob Miller of Marysville; Charles, of Syracuse, New York; Jacob, of St.Julien, Germany, and Nicholas, of Olith, Germany.

Card of Thanks.
     We wish to publicly extend our thanks to the many friends for their kindness to our sister and to us during her sickness and death.

Contributed by Cyndi Fowles

Lucinda Young (Buchanan

Frankfort Daily Index,
Weds., Feb. 26, 1929

   Lucinda Buchanan was born in Ashland Co., Ohio Jan. 4, 1839 and passed away at her home in Frankfort, Kansas at 9:10 a.m. Feb. 2, 1929, at the age of ninety years and twenty-nine days.
    On Sept. 25, 1864 she was married to Daniel Young of Geneseo, Illinois, who proceded her in death forty-two years ago, Aug. 19, 1887. To this union were born the four surviving children, Daniel Webster Young, Mrs. H. E. (Carrie) Hersh of of Frankfort, Louis Aaron Young of Blue Rapids, and Mrs. N. F. (Emma) Klein of Bigelow, one child Howard Homer died in infancy. Others moruning the loss of this dear cherished mother are a daughter, Mrs. Ida Calvert of Irving by a former marriage; and two brothers, Ellis Franklin Buchanan of Frankfort, Ks. and David L. Buichanan of Phoenix, Arizona; nine grandchildren, eighteen great grandchildren, two great great grandchildren, and a host of friends and neighbors.
    Mrs. Young had lived in Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Kansas. She and her family came to this section of the country in 1871. She has been a resident of Frankfort for nearly the last twenty-five years. She was an unusually devout Christian woman and a precious friend to all who became acquainted with her. Her church membership was with the Baptist Church at Reserville until she moved to Franklfort. Upon taking up her residence here she joined the Free Church through which she has been faithful to her Lord in whose blissful home of eternal durations she is now abiding.
    The funeral services were in charge of District Elder E.C. Lindle of Manhattan. Burial was made in the Reserville Cemetery, southwest of Bigelow, Kansas.

Home Page for Kansas