Welcome To Reno County, Kansas

Rev. Erwin William Jahn Obituary

Rev. Jahn Dies After Sickness Of Five Months

The Rev. Erwin William Jahn, pastor of Trinity Lutheran church for a few weeks less then 28 years, died last night shortly after 10 o'clock at McMillan hospital in St. Louis following an illness of several months. Rev. Jahn had been in a critical condition since last Saturday but retained consciousness until a few minutes before the end.

Rev. Jahn's illness dated from last winter and his many church activities were probably a contributing factor. When the illness was diagnosed arrangements were made for Rev. Jahn to have an extended leave of absence. He spent a time in a hospital and later made an extended visit in Texas. Plans were made for the Rev. A. J. Weber, pastor of Pleasant Ridge Lutheran church, to conduct local services.

Rev. Jahn had a minor part in the services of June 1 and gave Communion to Rev Weber. Participation in that service gave Rev. Jahn great encouragement and he had hopes of resuming his duties next month. Return to the hospital was found necessary.

The body was brought to the Marks-Weber funeral home last night and plans for the funeral will not be made until tomorrow. Friends may call at the funeral home after 12 o'clock noon Saturday.

On June 18, 1944, Rev. and Mrs. Jahn were guests of honor at a triple anniversary celebration. It was planned for them to observe their silver wedding anniversary in connection with quarter of a century in the ministry and the same length of time as pastor of the local church.

The observance was arranged as a surprise and the special services and reception were held in the evening. The Rev. O. Rothe of St. Paul's Lutheran church in St. Louis who officiated at the installation of Rev. Jahn as pastor returned here to preach a sermon and other ministers took part.

In connection with the services Rev. Jahn was presented with a $1000 war bond. The reception was held after the services. Additional gifts were presented to the pastor and his wife and he was granted a two months' leave of absence for a vacation with Mrs. Jahn.

The birth of Rev. Jahn occured in What Cheer, Iowa, on June 19, 1894, and his death occured at the age of 52 years, 11 months and 23 days. He was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Jahn, his mother's maiden name being Bertha Neumann.

Rev. Jahn was a boy of eight years when the family moved to Cherry, Kan. He was confirmed at St. Paul's Lutheran school in Garden Plain, Kan., on April 12, 1908.

Rev. Jahn afterwards began his preparation to become a clergyman. He attended St. John's college in Winfield, Kan., and was graduated from that institution on June 10, 1915. He the spent three years at Concordia seminary in St. Louis, completing that coarse on June 5, 1918.

His first call was to Concordia Teachers college in River Forest, Ill., where he served as an assistant professor for one year. He was ordained as a clergyman in connection with services at Immanuel Lutheran church in Chicago and served as a assistant pastor while stationed in River Forest. Rev. Jahn accepted a call to Trinity Lutheran church in Edwardsville during August, 1919, and he served in that capacity until his death.

The marriage of Rev. Jahn and Miss Hilda Meier of Haven, Kan., occurred on August 6, 1919. Besides the widow he is survived by one son, Waldemar, a student at Northwestern university in Evanston and three daughters, the Misses Dorothy, Elaine and Carolyn who live at home. Two sisters who survive are Mrs. Lizzie Kohler, and Mrs. Amanda Wulf, both of Cheney, Kan.

(Edwardsville Intelligence, Friday, June 13, 1947)


Pastor Dies

The Rev. O. Rothe, Pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran church in St. Louis and long-time friend of the late Erwin William Jahn, will conduct his funeral services Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at Trinity Lutheran church. Plans for the final local services were completed today. Rev. Rothe install Rev. Jahn as pastor of the local church in 1919 and delivered the sermon when Rev. and Mrs. Jahn observed their silver wedding anniversary in June, 1944.

The body of Rev. Jahn is at the Marks-Weber funeral home where friends may call tonight and Sunday morning. At 9 o'clock tommorrow morning the body will be taken to Trinity Lutheran church where it will lie in state until 2:30, the hour of the funeral. Church and Sunday school services for tommorrow have been suspended.

After the church services the body will be taken to St. Louis and sent to Haven, Kan., where the final services and burial are planned for Tuesday afternoon. Members of the family will be driven to Haven Monday.

The death of Rev. Jahn occurred Thursday night at McMillan hospital in St. Louis. He entered the hospital last Saturday in an apparently improved condition for a check-up in anticipation that he would resume his spiritual duties next month.

(Edwardsville Intelligence, Saturday, June 14, 1947)

Submitted by Jeff Jahn on March 14, 2006.

Back to Main Page