Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Chicago : Lewis, 1918. 5 v. (lvi, 2731 p., [228] leaves of plates) : ill., maps (some fold.), ports. ; 27 cm.

Rufus E. Cable

RUFUS E. CABLE was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He came to Kansas City, Missouri, in 1856, and was employed as a clerk in the establishment of W. E. Proctor, who was the proprietor of a general store. The store of Mr. Proctor and all other business houses in Kansas City, Missouri, were at that time on the levee along the south bank of the Missouri River. The residences were scattered about on the hills back of the business houses. At that time M. J. Payne was mayor of Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. Cable in 1865 moved to Wyandotte, now Kansas City, Kansas, where he has continued to reside to the present time. Wyandotte was then a small village and Mr. Cable has lived to see it become the metropolis of Kansas, with a population of more than 100,000. He has been a factor in this growth and has done his full share of the work required to build up the city.

Mr. Cable has been active in politics, and was a member of the board of education and the city council. For many years he was justice of the peace and he served as mayor of Wyandotte. For several years he was probate judge of Wyandotte County. He was a good officer in every position he held. Since he retired from the office of probate judge he has not been engaged in any regular business, but has been employed in looking after his property in Kansas City, Kansas, and Wyandotte County.

He has always been outspoken on any question affecting the destiny of Kansas City, Kansas, and the public interests generally. He is one of the most respected citizens of the city and enjoys the confidence of the community.

Transcribed from volume 4, page 2086 of A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; originally transcribed 1998, modified 2003 by Carolyn Ward.