(unofficial page for the)

Geary County, Kansas
Historical Society & Museum

P. O. Box 1161
6th & Adams Street
Junction City, KS 66441

Telephone: (785) 238-1666
Fax: (785) 238-3955
Email: researchcen@gchs.kscoxmail.com

Fee is $10.00 per Hour. Copies are .20 cents.
Museum Hours: 1pm-4pm Tue.-Sun.
Research Room: 1pm-4pm Tue.-Fri.

The following images were copied from the museum pamphlet,
"History Comes Alive at Junction City, Kansas"

(click for larger image)
A "Main Street" gallery was completed in 1993 and contains six businesses typical of the early 1900's. This display contains artifacts that were used in early Junction City stores.
(click for larger image)
Country School Room
(click for larger image)
Union Pacific Depot
After the renovation of the top floor was completed, a full scale country school room and Union Pacific depot ticket office and waiting room were opened.
(click for larger image)
Working Print Shop
(click for larger image)
Grandma's Kitchen
(click for larger image)
Victorian-era Parlor
A Victorian-era parlor and a Kansas farm kitchen of the 1920's house a variety of related displays. Artistic and accurate clothing exhibits, a display of quality Plains Indian artifacts and pioneer farm implements with educational, "hands-on" segments are also very popular with visitors.
(click for larger image)
The former school room auditorium provides space for meetings, programs, traveling and special displays.
(click for larger image)
Spring Valley School
The Spring Valley Heritage Site, located west of Junction City at the intersection of Hwy-18 and Spring Valley Rd. features a restored 19th century one-room schoolhouse and related out buildings. An 1870-period homesteader's hewn-log cabin is to be relocated to the site and will be opened by the end of 1998. Group tours and activities at this rural historic site can be arranged by contacting the museum.
(click for larger image)
The Starcke/Henderson Period House museum located just south of the museum is being developed to showcase the GCHS museum's growing collection of vintage household furniture and accessories. Planned to open in May 1999, the main portion of this brick cottage was built in 1885 and it has been remodeled and added onto several times sicne the original owners. The Starcke family, were prominent jewelers in Junction City for more than 50 years.
(click for larger image)
GCHS Museum, August, 1999
(click for larger image)
Postcard of the Museum


mailbox John Matthews

This page was updated .

User @ is visitor number since 1-NOV-1999.