Lincoln Sentinel-Republican, 5 November 1970George C. Davis came to Lincoln County in April 1873, taking a claim about theee and one half miles northwest of Lincoln. At first he lived in a dugout, but later in the year he hauled cottonwood logs from the Saline river and built a one room house, on the southeast corner of his claim.
It was later used as a school house between 1874 and 1880. Miss Rebecca Crawford taught two terms of school. Then later a one room log building was erected east on the southwest corner on the M.A. Jackson farm.
There is living today, one who was a student in school on the hill, in 1881 or 1882, she is Mrs. Dorinda Webber, her age is 94. A few years later a school house was built one half mile south and continued until it was closed for lack of students.
This school house was the Garfield school, which will be remembered by most and was located 2¾ miles west of Phillips 66 Station, Lincoln, Kansas.
Return to:[Lincoln County Kansas Genealogy][Lincoln County Kansas Queries]
DO YOU HAVE
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONTRIBUTIONS FOR US?
Bill and Diana Sowers, Lincoln County Coordinators
Tracee Hamilton, Lincoln County Coordinator
|Search all of Blue Skyways
Copyright 1997, 1998 by Bill and Diana Sowers